Hard disks: ATA-33 vs SATA, and Cache size importance?

EugenyG

When choosing a hard drive:

1. What's the difference between ATA-33 and SATA? Is there actually any performance difference? Or is it just a different type of mount, and works the same as long as the motherboard supports it?

2. In what way does more cache size (16MB as opposed to 8MB) would affect HDD performance? I'm not too familiar at how HDD operates in terms of input / output to RAM and other devices.

My apologizes, I meant to start a new topic rather then reply here. Mod, please delete this and the last posts of mine in this topic.

Live free or die. First option is exhausted, so guess what remains?

_SATPAT.JPG

Serial ATA (SATA) increases the transfer rate to 150 MB/sec. It uses four-wire cables up to one meter in length compared to the 18" limitation of the 80-pin flat cable used on ATA-66 and higher drives

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=Serial+ATA

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=ATA-66

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=IDE

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

soz bout this but what exactlly is this SATA??

*ahem* read the links i posted

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

soz bout this but what exactlly is this SATA??

*ahem* read the links i posted

yeah there not workin for me

stupid firefox

:D :D :D

Aussie Aussie Aussie,

:D

there isn't really much of a speed difference although S-ATA is supposed to be faster, but it requires drivers whereas IDE drives just need to be set to master or slave.

Cache is a type of memory built onto the Hard Disc where it can handle chunks of data, the higher it is the better