RuneScape taking FOREVER to load!

Plugpoint

BasicInfoaboutComp.jpg

I run Cable internet, and I have the same problem that the original poster described. I have 40-60GB of free space left.

Thanks for replying

I've encountered quite a few people with the same problem :|

Please post here if you manage to get yours to work, Pickle10 :)

Thanks,

Plugpoint92 ::'

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

BasicInfoaboutComp.jpg

I run Cable internet, and I have the same problem that the original poster described. I have 40-60GB of free space left.

The RAM on your computer seems quite low (the processor is fine though). Did you consider loading the 'low resolution' version? Even with 512MB, it would possibly lag a bit.

I don't know if this was mentioned before, but make that sure your Java plug-in is up to date. I had a lot of problems with running RS, major slow downs, etc. So, I went to Sun's official Java download site and updated to the current version. It's worked great since. RS is compiled in Java, and the plug-in is what runs it in your browser.

Ewsentinel.png

KoAClan.org for adults

[54Mbit? Wow, your internet's better than cable. Might want to get that double-checked.]

Alright, so with your current system specs, I could easily guess that it's a problem with the RAM or the hard disk space itself. Windows uses a "swap"-type deal with your hard disks, meaning it can expand up to 4GB (XP) of virtual RAM onto the disk. While it by no means is quick RAM, nor is it intended to be a cheap replacement, you should go ahead and add a little bit more.

Click on Start -> My Computer. Right-click that and hit "Properties".

Go to the Advanced Tab. In the Performance box, go ahead and hit Settings. From there, hit the Advanced Tab.

At the bottom, the third box, you press the "Change" button (the part about virtual memory). Set it to a custom size, then add "1024" in the top box (that adds 1GB of virtual memory minimum), then add "2048" in the bottom. You must have at least 5GB of space available for this to work. If you don't, then leave it as it is and skip this step.

The second thing you can do is make sure that your computer, software and Java are up to date. Hit the Java and Windows Update websites and download all the necessary updates.

The last thing you should do is defragment your drive. FAT, FAT32 and NTFS will need defragmentation periodically, and it's not something you should put off indefinitely.

Go to Start -> Control Panel. Turn off Category View if you have it enabled and go to Administrative Tools. From there, click on Computer Management. Near the bottom, there's a little tool that says "Disk Defragmenter". Analyze and defragment (on the system's recommendation).

Let me know if you have any troubles with this.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I think my friend had a similar problem. I told him to try downloading the newest Internet Explorer (9.0 or something) and try that. He now plays normally. Have you tried using Internet Explorer? I mean, judging by your computers, it' s way better than mine, I live in Slovenia, and all of the servers work fine. But I found out that some computers react differently to some pages. The ones in my school load Online Football Manager faster and load Rune Scape slower. It' s completelly opposite here at home.

RSN:Mico1311 Combat: 82 Highest skill: Fishing 75 Playing time: From around August 2003

The guy in my avatar is Veso, a comedian mastermind.