Thoughts about 99's limit

amid

According to my calculations, he could be 113-114 smithing lvl - is it not amazing ?

your calculations are flawed and you are an idiot.

You wrong my young friend, I'm not an idiot ;)

If you would move your pink (you know what) and look at experience list at skill calculator (right here at http://www.tip.it/runescape ), you could notice (with apropriate mind skill) that experience increasing according geometrical progression. Its not hard to obtain coefficient: 1.104. This means that with each level its requires 1.104 times more experience to advance next level.

Taking it into consideration, we can obtain next formula, which gives XP:

formula28ie.png

Where

N - level

B - basic experience (to get second level); B=83

K - coeffisient of geometrical progression; K=1.104061

I wrote simple program which calculates XP for each level and prints it. Here is continuation for levels after 99:

97 10,692,825

98 11,805,614

99 13,034,201

100 14,390,636

101 15,888,224

102 17,541,651

103 19,367,136

104 21,382,583

105 23,607,759

106 26,064,489

107 28,776,869

108 31,771,502

109 35,077,759

110 38,728,069

111 42,758,234

112 47,207,782

113 52,120,354

114 57,544,133

115 63,532,317

116 70,143,637

117 77,442,937

118 85,501,810

119 94,399,297

120 104,222,666

Formula gives about 1% error, which I classify to non-integer value of B (at Runescape server)

This would be good for the poorer people, but it would really hurt the merchants.

So? Screw 'em. If they're not smart enough to adapt to changing conditions, that's their problem. The minority should not dictate what the majority can or cannot do, so if a new update "hurts" them, then they just need to figure out how to deal with it. Runescape is not updated for the merchants, but for the REAL players who actually want to increase their skills, not their bank roll - that should come with the skills.

--Darg--

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

ok amid you have a point :) i spent a long time trying to figure out how the growth of xp is calculated and never got anywhere. I always thought it was a polynomial growth thats why i thought you were an idiot, i apologise.

Okay, heres the thing. The maximum value of a space is 9. like the highest 3 digit number is 999. To have a space, you have to have code. To minimize code, they make the max 99 and not 100, as you could then reach lvl 999. This is the same as when you enter infinite health on final fantasy and have health around 9,999. To add another space would make the highest value 99,999. So you see, its really a coding and memory issue to make the highest value at 9. No, I'm not a proggrammer. I read this somewhere in an EGM. Anyways, thats why the max is 99, and even if they raised it to 999 (adding another space) someone would eventually reach that. If they're still using the same type of servers on runescape, so there really isn't a point to raising the max.

Live and Learn.

I'm a programmer, so I can reply ...

I dont see any problem with memory to store level.

Most of up to date compiler support 32-bit integer variables, even if not, they definetly support so former 16-bit integers (maximal value 32k if signed, 65k if unsigned). Well at least if Jagex used shorter intergers in Runescape, minimal possible amount then is 255 (1 byte), which means endless possibilies to train :)

I am also a programmer and i have some experience in java.

In java there is no unsigned integers, i.e. all integers are signed, and this applies to float, double...etc.

The "smallest" numerical data type in java is the Byte class. The maximum value of a Byte is 127. The following link will give you additional information on the Byte class in java.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/Byte.html#MAX_VALUE

Changing the integer types isn't a problem at all... Graphical changes might be some work (to make room for 3 digits), but not really something to worry about.

If all integers are signed you better not get more then 2.1Bil pure gp... Might be risky :P.

• 2 weeks later...

when i started ppl where thinking we would never get past lvl 60 in skills.. let alone to 99,

eventualy id think jagax will have to up skills past 100, or at some point they will start loosing old players.

what happens when there are a few thosand ppl running round at lvl 120 comabt in the wild. pking will be boring, rpgs are about advacing a character threw experance, rs wouldnt be so much of a rpg if its got a point where you can only go so far,

and as for gaining exp being slow anyway, as jagax bring out more quests, they are gonna be giving out more 'free' exp, which is gonna make ppl lvl alot quicker.

adding a 3rd didget to lvls will casuse some very mimor problems, forinstance space, on screen and on server, but nothing thats gonna casuse any real problems

I disagree. There have to be limit. An ultimate goal.

How is 114 better than 99? It will only discourage lover lever players. 100mil exp to get there? Crazy. And when someone gets there, then what? Raise it again to 150? 99 is fine.

If no one ever realized, 99 is a limit put basically on most games that have levels to raise, that's the highest....

People always say that, but some people don't need to be rewarded after 99. This might sound mean, but it's their problem that they keep having more exps. Generally, wouldn't the person having 99 just gain more exps because they used it as a money making skill?

As you were talking 'bout mining and smithing, they'd just make the cash and it's just a great asset that he/she's getting more exps.