Updating BIOS

eggzs

Hi, since I've bought my computer around December last year, I havent updated the BIOS yet and found out there is an update for it (ASUS P5KR)

Question: Is it better to update by burning the file onto a boot disk or use the provided ASUS update software? I heard that if you use the OS to update the BIOS, you'll get more problems than fixes.

eggzs.png

The old traditional way to do it is to copy the BIOS image and your BIOS flashing software (both supplied by motherboard manufacturer) to a boot floppy, then use the boot floppy to enter DOS, where you flash it yourself using that software.

This requires some knowledge on DOS commands, like dir, cd,...

The newer way to do it is to use a BIOS updating software found in your BIOS (itself, actually), and you just save your image to the floppy, enter BIOS, select that flashing software, and the software will guide you through the process

The newest way is to do it in Windows Environment, using special softwares, again

All methods yield the same result. You should do what you are instructed - don't make your own assumption - follow instructions strictly!

BTW, you should pay attention to the floppy you use - some old floppys (I guest you havn't been using them for ages!) contains BAD sectors, that is, the data written on it cannot be read properly. If you use these floppies to do your BIOS flashing, it will result in BIOS failure (and your system won't boot)

Also, you should not flash BIOS unless it is absolutely necessary, for example, the BIOS don't support your new graphic card.

Currently taking a break from Runescape

I agree with Blossom's last statement there. Do not do a BIOS update just because the manufacturer says there's a new version out. Searching through the ASUSTeK site, I see that the update is only to support more processors. Now unless you plan on buying a new CPU, don't even consider this update.

But, if you still want to, here's a few tips that I have:

1) RTM. You've got to read the manuals on everything and I mean everything. Follow their instructions to the letter.

2) Wait about a week before doing the BIOS upgrade, just to check to see if your home's electricity is stable enough. If you get any power surges/blackouts in that time, scrap the update until a later date.

3) I don't really approve of doing it through Windows, but if your machine doesn't have a floppy drive OR a way to boot from USB, you're pretty much stuck. There are some guides out there that can help you turn a USB into a bootable device, which is pretty helpful in many cases.

4) Be forewarned: If the BIOS update goes wrong, the machine *may* become an expensive brick. Be careful.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

oh, thanks for input, i dont have a floppy drive so cd/flashdrive/OS is probably the best way to do it, not thinking of upgrading my processor in the near future so might put of updating for a while

eggzs.png