Computer won't work [Now solved]

Predator

Sorry about the title being so unspecific, but I just bought a 512 DDR Ram stick. I have 3 slots in my computer for ram. Previously I had 2 DDR sticks, 1 128 stick and 1 256 stick (384 ram). They were in the first 2 slots. I put in the 3rd stick (The 512 DDR stick) in the 3rd slot. Turned on my computer, and my computer beeped twice, paused for half a second, then beeped 8 times, after a while it beeps something else again, but that's it, nothing else. Nothing is on my screen (My moniter still works). I took out my new Ram stick and went back to what I had without the stick and it still is messed.

I have Windows XP, K7T266 Pro2 MSI Mainboard designed for AMD athlon. Maybe my motherboard doesn't work? Because I was having trouble putting the stick in and sometimes I slipped and my new ram stick would hit the motherboard, maybe my ram or motherboard isn't working? I doubt all 3 ram sticks broke or got chipped, but maybe my motherboard got chipped.

Check all cables inside ure PC, when i fitted my mates new memory the hard drive cable slipped out slightly.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Doesn't sound like loose cables, Matt..

If the HDD was out, it would at least boot to the bios or something. Unless, maybe the mobo is old enough that it requires a floppy drive and the floppy cable slipped out?

IRKAa.jpg

It maybe possible that the MOBO can not support the amount of ram your trying to put into it without a BIOS update or something like a memory expansion module. Good way to check is to take out the stick of ram you put in and try to boot. If it doesnt boot uv cracked ur MOBO in all likihood and if it boots try to flash the BIOS with the latest version available.

edit: I checked on the MOBO and it supports up to 3 gig of ram...that means its something much more scary lol. I would still take out that 512mb ram though to see if that is the problem.

I did take it out, it still doesn't work, I took out all my ram and nothing works, absolutely NOTHING comes up on the screen when boot up with ram or without ram, so I doubt I unplugged anything or it would have at least shown something on my computer? Could it be the battery? I remember reading somewhere that might be the problem.

Okay, well if you have your manule for your mobo, or know where to find a copy (try your mobo's site) it will tell you exactly what the beeps mean. For instance I know that on many mobo's 1 long beep followed by a pause and 1 more long beep means that there is something wrong with the RAM.

It could also be that the mobo will not support any more ram, in that case you would have to mix and match to get the best of what you got. IE your 512 and 128 or 512 and 256 or something.

Try taking out the 512 and seeing if it works, if not... I dunno? Put it back in, try to start, and then take it back out if it still doesn't work...

I installed some RAM at work the other day and when I booted up it yelled at be for not having a driver for it... why would I have a driver, especially since I had JUST put it in? So... windows didn't start and I'm like "what the hell?" so I took it out, started up fine, put it back in, and it started up without a problem :wink:

Don't ask me, but I hope you have a stroke of good luck :D

Don't ask me, but I hope you have a stroke of good luck :D

And I did :) I just had to unplug everything, including cards, and plug it back in and voila! :)

Thanks everyone :)

Although... I don't know why it beeped 2 short beeps and 8 short beeps after that, I couldn't find anything on the internet about that.