Windows XP not loading up?

The Observer

Well, on a newer computer, it goes to the Windows XP loading screen, but after that, it goes all black. You can tell Windows XP loads up, because after I do the fingerprint reader, there is processor activity. After that, when you press Alt+F4 and press enter, the computer shuts down. So, something may be wrong with the graphics card?

Specs:

Processor: 2.2 Ghz (AMD Athlon 64 3500+)

RAM: 512 MB

It doesn't have a sound card for some reason.

Not sure what the video card is.

j0xPu5R.png

Make sure all media is removed (media card(s), usb drives, cds, etc.). Did you do a windows update shortly before having this issue?

No I did not. The only usb device is the keyboard.

@ Clare, I didn't do that either. The reason being I didn't know how to start it up in Safe Mode on Windows XP systems. I will shortly and will update you with the results.

j0xPu5R.png

Make sure all media is removed (media card(s), usb drives, cds, etc.). Did you do a windows update shortly before having this issue?

No I did not. The only usb device is the keyboard.

@ Clare, I didn't do that either. The reason being I didn't know how to start it up in Safe Mode on Windows XP systems. I will shortly and will update you with the results.

Your mouse and keyboard should be fine.

I attempted to start it up in safe mode, but it didn't work at all. Instead of starting Windows, it just listed a bunch of system files and rebooted itself. :?

@Sloter, they do work perfectly fine when XP "starts up". It's like it ends up running in the background.

j0xPu5R.png

Killer, how long ago did you get the PC, and how long ago did this start happening? Also, can you get it to log what it is doing while it boots, and can you get it to not restart after a critical crash during that sequence? Further, can you get to Win XP's "Safe Mode Command Prompt"? :-s

Having all of that info may help. :)

~D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Killer, how long ago did you get the PC, and how long ago did this start happening? Also, can you get it to log what it is doing while it boots, and can you get it to not restart after a critical crash during that sequence? Further, can you get to Win XP's "Safe Mode Command Prompt"? :-s

Having all of that info may help. :)

~D. V. Devnull

The PC is only about two years old, it happened only recently. I can reboot it. I tried the Safe Mode Command Prompt but the same thing happened (listing a bunch of XP bootup system files and then rebooting).

j0xPu5R.png