Hotkeys

smartme

I was really surprised when the new Runescape gameplay layout came out and this wasn't implemented. I was wondering if maybe I'm the only one who wants this...

Customizable Hotkeys

You know how F1, F2, F3, etc all switch to a different menu ingame? How cool would it be if you could assign different buttons to different menus manually. For example, a player could choose to have Inventory pop-up when they hit "I", maybe Skills on "S", Friends on "F", Equipment on "E", etc.

Of course, there wouldn't be a universal layout like today, because everyone could setup their own hotkeys, with F1, F2 just being the deafults. Personally, I'd like to have all my hotkeys near the bottom left of my keyboard, hence the above examples. This would be customizable enough so that everyone could be happy with it. If you want, you could always just leave it as F1, F2.

Runescape currently has the F1, F2, hotkeys as well as the Ctrl+click ability to run. I doubt this would be a very difficult code to program into the game.

I'd also add at least 1 more possible hotkey - Toggle Run. Basically, this would just Toggle between your character running or walking. Then, Ctrl+click could be changed to do the opposite of whatever Run is Toggled to.

A more advanced expansion of this idea would be implementing hotkeys for certain prayers or spells. For example, assigning Piety to "P".

Thoughts? Expansion ideas? Support?

Edit: It has been pointed out that assigning hotkeys to letter and number buttons creates a problem with typing. It has been proposed that a possible solution would be to Toggle Hotkeys/ Chat. I propose an addition to that solution in the ability to use Hotkeys via Alt + "Hotkey". This way, a player could swap modes to use only hotkeys while having the option to be able to easily chat and just hold "Alt" for a moment mid-sentence to perform a different action.

Ok, good idea. I support.

Good idea, but they couldn't just be letters, because then you couldn't talk... Maybe you could turn them on or off, and with them on you need to click on chat box to talk? I don't know if key combinations would work, because then the client would need to override Windows/Mac OSX shortcuts... hmm..

These are just my thoughts. A bit jumbled, but coherent enough. ::'

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

One main problem, how would you type if all your letters were assined as hotkeys. Its not plausable, Because the only way i can think of it is that you have to toggle "Hotkeys On / Chat On" and if you had to do that every time it would be slower then just using normal buttons.

znn02a.jpg

ubd6755ku8.png

It has been pointed out that assigning hotkeys to letter and number buttons creates a problem with typing. It has been proposed that a possible solution would be to Toggle Hotkeys/ Chat. I propose an addition to that solution in the ability to use Hotkeys via Alt + "Hotkey". This way, a player could swap modes to use only hotkeys while having the option to be able to easily chat and just hold "Alt" for a moment mid-sentence to perform a different action.