Irc connection help

bunbun

This is not talking about tip.it server i am talking about swift and other servers.

So recently my memory chip died and corrupted my hard drive so i had to wipe entire computer and get a new memory chip. After i reinstalled most things i tried to connect to mirc and i got this message * Connecting to irc.swiftirc.net (6667) - * Unable to connect to server (Connection refused). So at first im thinking maybe its firewall and i turned it on allowed programs and no change. Next i try just turning off firewall and again no change same message so now im thinking maybe its the program the mirc i have is the latest version 6.33. So i download chatzilla, swiftkit, and xchat and all of them experienced the same problem as mirc. Someone please come up with a solution for my connection problem i am thinking its possibly a router problem i use linksys wireless.

2 things that might help. Make sure you haven't got an overzealous firewall/anti virus program which is blocking programs or certain ports on your pc, such as 6667 which is the main one used by many irc servers. You should be able to allow connections through if you tweak the settings on the program.

Aside from that, I've had problems with swiftirc when I connect to irc.swiftirc.net. I got round this by connecting to a specific server, lunar.nl.eu.swftirc.net (There's a list of servers on their website, so you can choose the closest) instead.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Okay. There are two other things I can think of. The first is that you could have some malware which is blocking you from accessing IRC. I'd reccomend you update your anti virus and do a scan. If it helps, get a Hijackthis log, and post it here so someone can help.

The other thing (and probably very unlikely) is that your ISP maybe blocking IRC for some reason. If so, you're going to have to contact and ask why, because they shouldn't really have any reason to do so, unless you're connected to a proxy or similar. The first suggestion is much more likely than this.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."