Network Drive Question

runescapeloser22

My laptop has a pathetic hard drive (30GB, with ~7GB left), so I decided to ask my dad for an upgrade. He gives me access to a 360GB network drive. Now this is awesome because I can finally store all my music on my laptop, but what I want to know is, can I install a game on my computer, and only have it take up space on the network drive (I want to get Spore)? If it's possible how do I do it? Thanks!

You'd better find if you can move more files off to the network drive. (Such as documents and other non-program files.) :(

I can tell you with some certainty that trying to install a game's files to the network drive would only result in 'lag city', if the game runs at all. Especially since you'd be shoving data across a 100 Mbps pipe. (Note, that's Megabits, NOT MegaBytes.) Sadly, a 100 Mbps pipe is only as fast as an old IDE hard disk, which ain't that fast at all. And then there's the time to get it across the network adapter, through the CPU, and into RAM, as well as the return trips. Further, you'd have to be connected to the same LAN as the network drive to be able to use it, which means you'd only be able to play the game while connected to that LAN. :boohoo:

Sorry for the 'bummer'. :|

~D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

<<<Quote Snip>>> ... And considering hard drives are so cheap these days, why not just get a 2nd drive?
I agree on that idea.
I also agree, seeing as an external hard drive connected over USB, E-Sata, and/or firewire will be faster. (480 Mbps, FTW! :thumbsup: ...)

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)