Storing Program Files

runescapeloser22

Note to Mods: This is all completely legal, since I bought the copy of Guitar Hero III and customs are legal as long as they are not copyrighted by another rhythm game (like Through the Fire and Flames or Green Grass & High Tides)

Since I couldn't install Guitar Hero III onto my network drive since it would lag too much, would it be possible to copy the program files (the files that are in C:\Program Files\Aspyr\Guitar Hero III) over to the network drive and somehow configure it so the game looks there for them without much lag? Because even though it fits with a decent amount of space left, I want to add customs which takes up a lot more space, and they get stored in the program files.

You'll only break it if you try to move it... Period. -.-

Instead, like I said in another thread, move off your music/documents/etc. that are not programs to that network drive, thereby both giving you room for programs/games, and keeping your docs/music/etc. safe in the event anything awful happens to your laptop. Heck, you ought to make backups to that network drive every so often, too. :)

And in case you're curious, wherever you install your program is where the registry data will point the program to, so if the program's own data isn't in the right place, you'd be rather [bleep]ed on program launch. And that's not counting whatever is hidden within the program's own code. :|

Sorry to be a 'bummer'... :(

~D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

What exactly is "Customs"? Can that be installed onto the network drive instead?
"Customs", if I understand correctly, are like what "Mods" are to Unreal Tournament and Quake 3... And from what runescapeloser22 has said, they have to be in the same directory as the game program itself, which unluckily leaves runescapeloser22 a little out-of-space where they need it. :(

(Maybe he ought to drop GH3 until he's got the room, and go play "StepMania" in the meanwhile until he gets the Hard Disk room he needs? :| ...)

~D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)