[Guide] How to get and use HijackThis.

RSBDavid

Hello Tip.it!

Several people who use these forums might not know what a "HijackThis" log is.

This is what Trend Micro (then creators) say:

HijackThis lists the contents of key areas of the Registry and hard drive--areas that are used by

both legitimate programmers and hijackers. The program is continually updated to detect and

remove new hijacks. It does not target specific programs and URLs, only the methods used by

hijackers to force you onto their sites.

As a result, false positives are imminent, and unless you're sure about what you're doing, you

always should consult with knowledgeable folks before deleting anything. Version 2.0.2 includes

unspecified updates.

How to get the software and use it

1. Go to Here and Click

"Download Now"

2e576hd.png

2. Install the program to your computer and open it up.

2qi33wx.png

3. Click "Do a system scan and save a logfile".

4. After it is done, a notepad document will open up and you can save it and/or copy and paste

it here and NICELY ask someone on these forums to check it out.

2f0ddao.png

And that is how to use HJT. Please submit any errors or corrections.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Well, I must say, very nice guide. Was thinking of making one myself but since you did it, I'll just have more time tomorrow to work on my website. This should be added to a sticky about basic steps to fixing computer problems (along with Spybot and Ad-Aware scans, making sure you have a software firewall, a good virus program, etc.) Such a sticky would be a decent space saver, especially if we had a HJT sticky (after all, how many posts on this forum don't have "Post a HJT" mentioned somewhere..Not including discussion and non-windows-pc-related questions?).

[hide=Funny Quotes]

So you sucker punched a kid in the back of the head? Good job.
What scares me is that you're like 10 years old.
-.- im not that freaking young
You were a couple years ago.
It's not racist if its true.
Hmm... I wonder how one goes about throwing someone out a window in a mystic fashion :-k

The mental image for that is freaking awesome.

[/hide]

- I dont need to "get a life." I'm a gamer - I have LOTS of lives!

Well, I must say, very nice guide. Was thinking of making one myself but since you did it, I'll just have more time tomorrow to work on my website. This should be added to a sticky about basic steps to fixing computer problems (along with Spybot and Ad-Aware scans, making sure you have a software firewall, a good virus program, etc.) Such a sticky would be a decent space saver, especially if we had a HJT sticky (after all, how many posts on this forum don't have "Post a HJT" mentioned somewhere..Not including discussion and non-windows-pc-related questions?).

Thanks.

I was going to post it last week, but i decided to wait one more week to see if anyone else wouldn't do it. I agree a sticky for the whole shinanigan of computer repair would be nice.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

This thread alone should be stickied, that way someone can say "Post an HJT log", and link here with that text to give instructions. :geek:

EDIT: <*puts in a report to request sticky status, and hopes it happens*>

~D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

This thread alone should be stickied, that way someone can say "Post an HJT log", and link here with that text to give instructions. :geek:

~D. V. Devnull

I disagree already to many stickies. Possibly post a guide or something on Assist-X and then link it in the thread when it is appropriate. Same needs to happen with that hypercam thread that never gets used.

I disagree already to many stickies.
And I already put in a request for sticky status with the report features... even marked an edit in my last post here to that effect... And I see you were in the middle of editing that post too. :?

~D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

It would be great if someone had the time to make such an all round sticky. (Keep it simple though) We have had several in the past here but I'm not going to bother searching for them since they will no doubt be well out of date. They used to be stickied but I don't know why they were removed.

Anyway I'm not going to sticky this at the moment(that's not saying it wont be at some point). I'd much rather see a general security/cleaning/etc sticky up there.

sig2ho7.jpg