Another PS3-related question.

Distracted

Alright, thanks to everyone below that answered the previous question, but I have another question for if I get a PS3. It's not directly related to it, but enough to be asked here: Does HDready equal HD? Does that mean I can watch HDTV with an HDready tv? It's just that I'm confused by that name.

If this doesn't belong here anymore, feel free to move it. I just thought it wasn't worth making a new thread in Tech 'n Comp for it...

Afaik, the newer PS3s aren't backwards compatible with old PS1/2 games. Personally, I'd go for the one with the bigger hard drive and stick to the PS2 for your old stuff.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

All PS3 models have PS1 backwards compatibility through software emulation.

The 20GB and 60GB models have the best PS2 backwards compatibility, because they contain the emotion engine chip. Neither model is still in production.

The 80GB PS3's that were bundled with a game (MotorStorm {I think} and MGS4) had PS2 backwards compatibility through software emulation. Again, neither model is still in production.

The current 80GB model (Which replaced the 40GB model) does not have PS2 backwards compatibility, and neither does the 160GB model. These models are currently in production.

You might be able to find one of the PS3 bundles (Most likely MGS4) at a store, but there's a really small chance that you would. The other option is to ebay or buy a used one from a game store (EBGames) or find one in a newspaper or something. If you are going to buy an older version, get the 60GB model since it's much better.

I also heard that a new 250GB model is coming out, which will have PS2 backwards compatibility, but I haven't searched for any information regarding the 250GB model.

And I think the 80GB is in a pack with MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, according to commercials.

To clarify, the MotorStorm bundle was from 2007, Pacific Rift came out last month. The last bundle was the MGS4 bundle, and only those 80GB models had PS2 backwards compatibility.

And after looking around, the 250GB model was just a rumor/joke, so I don't know if future PS3's will have bacwards compatibility with PS2 games..

And I think the 80GB is in a pack with MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, according to commercials.

To clarify, the MotorStorm bundle was from 2007, Pacific Rift came out last month. The last bundle was the MGS4 bundle, and only those 80GB models had PS2 backwards compatibility.

And after looking around, the 250GB model was just a rumor/joke, so I don't know if future PS3's will have bacwards compatibility with PS2 games..

Ok, thanks, that clears everything up for me.

HDReady does mean it can do HD.

Just look for HDMI slots on the back and if they're there, then it's HD, if not, then it's SD.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

Yup. You need a HDMI cable. Don't worry about the really expensive ones, just pick one up for around £10 and it should be fine, though make sure the connectors are gold plated, and not copper, gold is a much better conductor.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.