any way to reduce ping times?

The_dmt1234

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

well when playing a lot of online games,

it sucks to live in Perth, Australia

we're 8hrs infront of europe and 12 hours infront of USA

so it's a massive distance and i always get some form of lag when playing online games.

C&C renegade is the one i play the most and i can't snipe at all in it purely becoz everyone skips frames so my chances are cut in half

my ping is generally 370+ and most others that aren't from asutralia are 50-200max

it's not my comp coz it exceeds the requirements about 8 times over

my internet is highspeed cable about 24mb/1mb or sometihng but its the fastest publically buyable in perth

so is there any way to reduce my ping without moving country or changing ISP's?

]ac_s_dc.png

It is probably because you are far away from the server. When I try using ventrilo from my uncles house in london, I get constant high ping, but when I use it in America, I get around 120-200 with about the same connection speed.

You can try finding a closer server. try playing Runescape on an distant Server and compare the lag to a local server.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Stop all other programs/people accessing the same line.

Buy an iPlate (not sure if they work in aus).

Try downloading and running the TCIP Optimizer.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Really not much, besides call your ISP.

It is probably because you are far away from the server. When I try using ventrilo from my uncles house in london, I get constant high ping, but when I use it in America, I get around 120-200 with about the same connection speed.

You can try finding a closer server. try playing Runescape on an distant Server and compare the lag to a local server.

Not true. I get sub-200 ping to virtually any server in the world, and sub-100 almost anywhere.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

its wierd with runescape i get a good connection connecting to miami servers i think they're 97 98 99 100 but i get a [cabbage] connection sometimes to aussie servers, i get pretty good to canadas ones and i can almost no t play on british servers sometimes

with renegade the servers i play on are in washington and dallas i think there the only 2 i play on

]ac_s_dc.png

Not true. I get sub-200 ping to virtually any server in the world, and sub-100 almost anywhere.

Ok... your point is?

Ok... your point is?

Just because your far away doesn't mean you'll get terrible 1000+ ping times, it has to do with your ISP and computers between you and the server (again, having a lot to do with your ISP and top level provider).

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

okay,what's a top level provider? a level 138 ISP?

Basically :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_1_network

DeviledEgg24.png

wow um i didn't understand much of that

all i got out of it is that's a free? internet connection, it's not like how in games you set your connection to t1/lan so you ge tless lag is it? coz i tried that and no matte what my ping is always [cabbage]ty

]ac_s_dc.png

There's no way to reduce your ping to a server unless you buy a better Internet connection, period. Faster internet (in terms of bandwidth) does not guarantee you a better ping either. If your lagging in a game because of ping times, play on a server closer to you.

All these ping and TCP "optimizers" are complete crap. Most of the ping time is between servers/routers out on the internet, not on your computer or your network so these optimizers do nothing. At most with a simple home network with a router and a modem you would have 3ms from sending the data from your computer to out onto the internet so these optimizers can not do too much if anything to reduce your pings.

A tier 1 internet provider may not give you the fastest ping times either. Do not ask why, it's complicated.

goldenblade995.png

all i got out of it is that's a free? internet connection, it's not like how in games you set your connection to t1/lan so you ge tless lag is it? coz i tried that and no matte what my ping is always [cabbage]

The bottom line is, you can do precisely zero about it. It's all up to your ISP and computer.

DeviledEgg24.png

all i got out of it is that's a free? internet connection, it's not like how in games you set your connection to t1/lan so you ge tless lag is it? coz i tried that and no matte what my ping is always [cabbage]

:lol: I wish t1 was free and i am sure most of the other people here do to. In fact for the most part it is costly. For the most part it is in the $500-$1000 a month range. Along with a high install price as a line has to get run to your location.

:lol: I wish t1 was free and i am sure most of the other people here do to. In fact for the most part it is costly. For the most part it is in the $500-$1000 a month range. Along with a high install price as a line has to get run to your location.

Never got the point of a t1. 1.5 downstream is garbage. If you want a good connection go with something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OC-3#OC-768_.2F_STM-256x or, in a year or two, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OC-3#OC-3072

160 Gb\s? Sign me up, that's 20GBs download speeds.

DeviledEgg24.png

Never got the point of a t1. 1.5 downstream is garbage. If you want a good connection go with something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OC-3#OC-768_.2F_STM-256x or, in a year or two, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OC-3#OC-3072

What the [bleep] are you going on about now? Know one gives a [cabbage], he wants get get his problem solved not sit here and listen to you [cabbage]ting.

What the [bleep] are you going on about now? Know one gives a [cabbage], he wants get get his problem solved not sit here and listen to you [cabbage].

Err, it can only be solved with a new ISP; I was merely pointing out that I didn't recommend T1. You can also check out speedtest.net results near your area and see what the best provider is for latency.

DeviledEgg24.png

Never got the point of a t1.

Honestly, do you have any idea what you're talking about (no) or did you just wiki T1 and look for a number?

T1 is used for servers and offices and such because it has symmetrical up and down speeds, as opposed to residential cable or whatever where the upload speed is almost always going to be significantly less than the download speed. T1 lines also connect directly into the ISP's "hub" (there's a technical term, presence point or something like that), as opposed to a residential connection, which can be routed through several "sub-hubs" (again, there's a technical term and a bit more to it, but I can't find the source I remember right now) before connecting to the ISP's main one.

I'd never recommend one for residential use because it's just stupid to pay that much, but saying the connection is garbage is equally stupid.

yeah um my cimp is 2.4ghz amd

i got about 1280mb ram

my vid card is 128mb game buster or something

my connection is cable direct to modem to computer

and only runescape has aussie servers

the other games i play are all in USA or EUROPE

and my modem is only a year old and our subrurbs is relatively new so the cable can tbe too old

]ac_s_dc.png

Honestly, do you have any idea what you're talking about (no) or did you just wiki T1 and look for a number?

T1 is used for servers and offices and such because it has symmetrical up and down speeds, as opposed to residential cable or whatever where the upload speed is almost always going to be significantly less than the download speed. T1 lines also connect directly into the ISP's "hub" (there's a technical term, presence point or something like that), as opposed to a residential connection, which can be routed through several "sub-hubs" (again, there's a technical term and a bit more to it, but I can't find the source I remember right now) before connecting to the ISP's main one.

I'd never recommend one for residential use because it's just stupid to pay that much, but saying the connection is garbage is equally stupid.

Thank You!

Thank You!

I think what compfreak847 meant was that t1 lines are only rated at 1.5mb/s which is slow. The ping times would be slightly better since your directly plugged into the ISP but the bandwidth would suck (and I don't think an isp would even wire any new t1 lines). Most companies that have dedicated lines do not have t1 lines, they are old and slow, they have OC-3 or higher. The term t1 for a dedicated line has stuck around for any dedicated fast line.

goldenblade995.png

Thank You!

I think what compfreak847 meant was that t1 lines are only rated at 1.5mb/s which is slow. The ping times would be slightly better since your directly plugged into the ISP but the bandwidth would suck (and I don't think an isp would even wire any new t1 lines). Most companies that have dedicated lines do not have t1 lines, they are old and slow, they have OC-3 or higher. The term t1 for a dedicated line has stuck around for any dedicated fast line.

Exactly! Obviously you'll get slightly less ping times, but your paying 300$+ a month for (very) slightly less latency - my Comcast connection that costs 1/5th that gets me a 9ms ping - but at the cost of bandwidth. Your literally paying 5-10x the cost for 1/5th the bandwidth. Obviously the reliability and support has its benefits for businesses, but why on earth would any residential customer use a T1 :|

DeviledEgg24.png

heres from perth to washington half way round the world

393171947.png

perht to sydney, over 3,000kms across the country

393172233.png

and from my house to somewhere in my city,

393172554.png

i've had speeds of about 7k down before, perth is just the forgoten city in australia, even tho it is the 2nd fastest growning and has a population of over 1 million, australias population is 21m, we get the lowest funding form the government even tho our state pays the most taxes

heres miami, crap ping but good speed

393173200.png

]ac_s_dc.png