Modern day smithing/mining advice

stormveritas

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

So, I am a fairly good smither (level 80), but it's been about 6 months - year since I seriously did any of either.

What are the currently preferred methods of mining / smithing for a decent balance of fast exp and reasonable cost efficiency?

I've considered quite a few methods:

- Iron mining with Spirit Kyatt

- Mining mith / adamantite under Grand Tree.

- Gold mining at horseshoe / crafting guild / keldagrim.

- Granite mining.

There are several ups and downs of all these methods. I also would like mining something that would translate into either good money or something smithable. Granite is way down in value, and gold negates the value of Stealing Creation hammers (something I will definitely look to use).

If I were to do something to raise the cash to fund smithing, would I get creamed? Ideally, I'd like to make enough profit mining to fund my smithing losses.

I was thinking of perhaps mining iron, then selling that, and buying lots of addy bars. I have plenty of cash for adamantite bars, but don't want to waste it either. Do people buy anything that can be smithed from addy bars (bolt tips, arrow tips, etc.?). If not, I'll probably just mine iron and trade it in for lots of mithril for a long, tedious trip to the blast furnace (with tons of SC hammers, of course).

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

stormveritas.png

Id say you mine iron for xp. Bank with kyatt if you want to.

Then just buy addy bars and make arrowtips. That's how I got 80-85 smithing. Arrowtips do sell, and if you are patient enough you can get over 140 each. Thats 2100 gp you get back per bar. So you make a 200gp loss for 120 xp (assuming you use sc hammers). The smithing itself is also about 1k bars an hour so it's pretty fast.