Internet speed, download managers, etc. questions.

ember3579

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

No idea. How do I check without physically looking at the thing? And it might be a good idea to try and not post one-liners, to keep the mods happy. ^_^;;

The mods don't count words in posts, nor lines.

Control Panel ---> System ---> Hardware ---> Device Manager

Meh, I'm thinking more along the lines of them worrying about what might seem to be spam. I might be overreacting, I'm used to dealing with sensitive mods from other sites.

It's an Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem. Does that answer the question? If not, tell me where to find more of the answer. Where are you going with this?

To Compfreak: Yeah, I live out in the country. That still doesn't mitigate the fact that I really should be able to SOMEHOW get the full 56K out of the modem, unless if it's something with the provider. Either way, it should be possible to "direct" the connection to give me more speed by optimization, it's just that I don't know which of these programs are trustworthy and which aren't, or even if any of them work. Care to help in that department? Oh, and nobody provides satellite, and I live in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains. Kind of rough for a signal to get out regardless. I don't live in the city, as you rightly guessed.

Satellite will work aslong as you can see the sky, so does wireless I believe, so see if you can get it. We had to as it was either wireless or satellite (which was too much, even with the Government rebate)

From what I hear, Satellite has severe latency issues: as much as 5 seconds for one packet to be sent. No thanks. Besides, who in my area would provide it?

It's no where near 5 seconds. 1 second at the most, usually about 500ms (half a second), it's not good for gaming but neither is dialup. Satellite would have way better download speed than your dialup connection. Satellite would be at least 1mb/s (1000kb/s) compared to your less than 56kb/s.

Just google satellite internet providers and I'm sure somebody would serve you satellite. As long as you can see the sky you would be able to get satellite internet.

That latency would basically kill any real game playing that I would do, AND make things extremely difficult with what I want to do for a living. No thanks.

And I don't want to find some random group on the net, I want someone that I can drive to in a reasonable amount of time. Reason? Well, for one, my dad is a bit paranoid and he likes to have business deals go on face-to-face. Two, it's just not real smart to do that sort of thing online. Can you find anybody who provides to Lewis County, West Virginia that's within a reasonable distance (1 hour drive at most)? If not, then I'll just continue as if it's not possible.

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

Aku Soku Zan. - Shinsengumi

You wanna mess with me or my friends? Pick your poison.

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

That latency would basically kill any real game playing that I would do, AND make things extremely difficult with what I want to do for a living. No thanks.

And I don't want to find some random group on the net, I want someone that I can drive to in a reasonable amount of time. Reason? Well, for one, my dad is a bit paranoid and he likes to have business deals go on face-to-face. Two, it's just not real smart to do that sort of thing online. Can you find anybody who provides to Lewis County, West Virginia that's within a reasonable distance (1 hour drive at most)? If not, then I'll just continue as if it's not possible.

Try these guys. They don't say where they are based, but you can try calling the number on their site to find out, it is toll free.

If they aren't then look here. Even if there is a bit of latency it isn't that bad,I am using wireless, in the middle of nowhere and still get good kills playing games, so it's not that bad, plus your downloads will take no time at all. Even wireless is faster then what I could get when I lived in the city (I hate Telstra so much, only decent cabling is in the State capitals, where there are too many people using the same cables)

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!