Different "modes" for combat familiars.

Obtaurian

Here's a thread that I posted in the RSOF regarding combat familiars. The ideas came from, and were inspired by, the "Combat Familiars" thread in General Discussion.

74-75-616-58321314

I'm going to get right into it. First of all, I do not claim this to be my idea. I've heard these suggestions elsewhere, but I could not find a thread that deals with these specific issues, so here they are:

Familiars need three modes, accessible from the Summoning tab.

1) Aggressive.

While aggressive, familiars will target and attack nearby monsters. Currently, a familiar will only attack if it is attacked, or if the player is attacked. This is a huge problem while ranging or maging in a safespot. You are not taking damage, so your familiar will not attack!

2) Defensive.

This mode would be identical to the way familiars are now. It will only attack if provoked or if the player is attacked. Not much to elaborate on here.

3) Neutral.

In this mode, a familiar will not attack, regardless of whether or not it or the player is being attacked. This is a problem in areas like the Dagannoth King lair, where your familiar will often run around attacking synolops instead of staying by your side.

My final suggestion is a way to make familiars target specific monsters to attack. This would work exactly like the Spirit Graahk's "Goad" scroll. You click the target icon on your summoning tab, and click on a monster. Your familiar would then target and attack that monster.

In conclusion, these suggestions would allow familiars to be used tactically, as well as allowing them to be useful to all three combat types. Other than what I've described, I have no further qualms with summoning. It's my favorite skill, and I would like for it to be as perfect as possible.

Thanks for reading. I appreciate any feedback and criticism.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Yea, i love the idea, but its only been suggested 50 million times in the RSOF and for some reason jagex seems intent on keeping summoning as one of the most useless combat skills.

~nuff said

34sny53.png

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Instead of neutral, call it passive. Maybe, have another system where you can send you familiar out to attack someone or something. Maybe in the summoning tab, you click something than click the monster of choice.

Not sure if this is already possible. If it is, just ignore that.

tfssig.png