Serious Racism & Stereotyping Discussion ( REAL TALK)

So many complex qoute trails its getting hard to pay attention.

Ok lets get some things straight racism is not the issue on runescape, its simple critisism.

And to blame the majority of it on a certain group of people is like going downtown and screaming "ALL YOU F*CKING CRACKERS ARE RASCIST SOB'S".

Now seriously consider where this conversation is heading towards and avoid pointing the finger at certain age groups, because then you simply become part of the problem.[/code]

no one has said anything like that, read the thread.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

again, no one has said that all young players are guilty of anything, but most insults/racism etc comes from younger players. people that aren't prepubescents don't go around yelling racial slurs to feel superior.

again, no one has said that all young players are guilty of anything, but most insults/racism etc comes from younger players. people that aren't prepubescents don't go around yelling racial slurs to feel superior.

Ever heard of the KKK, slavery (you mentioned superiority, what better example then that) ... etc ? You need to get out more. There are millions of racists adults. The only difference now compared to the examples I've given is that it's illegal to act on it. But that never stops people from doing it.

look, stop taking this so personally.

dude, no wonder im taking this personally, take Cather bl0k for example, hes afro-american (he says so himself) if some moron would go saying almost all afro-american people are scum (those are NOT my points of vieuw, i am not a rascist) i am sure he would take that personally, and he has every right to do so.

i agree that most idiots in rs are under 15, but to go saying

most people that are under 15 tend to be little jerks

is plain BS, cuz most people under 15 are really nice people too.

there is a HUGE difference in saying: "most people under 15 are beggers/scammers" and saying: "most beggars/scammers are under 15"

the second is probably true. but the first isnt. if it was true, then i would be geting a lot more PMs "phr33 st00f pl0x!!" and "i am JAGeX staff!! give me your pass or ill ban you!"

Like I posted on the other thread about stereotyping:

There's a huge difference between "most younger players are beggars" and "it are mostly younger players who beg".

While there's noone who can possibly prove the first sentence to be true, and as it's very unlikely that it's true (I would probably get at least 100 times as much pms for 'free stuff plz' then :P), I do think most will agree with the latter sentence being very likely.

As for the racism in the game, which is what this topic was about really:

RuneScape is merely a virtual copy of the real world. People act like this in rl too (like Eric mentioned: KKK, slavery, but there are loads of examples more). Taking into account internet(games) provide an anonymous environment, people will tend to voice their racists thoughts \ opinions much more quickly and rudely.

IMO rs could be different though. Jagex has the full power over their world and, if they would try to, they could easily get rid of racism and / or other rl-derived problems like scamming. By actually PUNISHING offenders I do believe things could be a lot better.

Ever heard of the KKK, slavery (you mentioned superiority, what better example then that) ... etc ? You need to get out more. There are millions of racists adults. The only difference now compared to the examples I've given is that it's illegal to act on it. But that never stops people from doing it.

i meant on a computer game. i know full well of racist people in real life.

dude, no wonder im taking this personally, take Cather bl0k for example, hes afro-american (he says so himself) if some moron would go saying almost all afro-american people are scum (those are NOT my points of vieuw, i am not a rascist) i am sure he would take that personally, and he has every right to do so.

i agree that most idiots in rs are under 15, but to go saying

fair enough, but you were taking it as a personal attack.

is plain BS, cuz most people under 15 are really nice people too.

there is a HUGE difference in saying: "most people under 15 are beggers/scammers" and saying: "most beggars/scammers are under 15"

the second is probably true. but the first isnt. if it was true, then i would be geting a lot more PMs "phr33 st00f pl0x!!" and "i am JAGeX staff!! give me your pass or ill ban you!"

that's exactly what i've been saying 2 times in both of the threads.

i think 15 is a little high for our purposes in this thread, i would say 13 or under would fit better.

As for the racism in the game, which is what this topic was about really:

RuneScape is merely a virtual copy of the real world. People act like this in rl too (like Eric mentioned: KKK, slavery, but there are loads of examples more). Taking into account internet(games) provide an anonymous environment, people will tend to voice their racists thoughts \ opinions much more quickly and rudely.

IMO rs could be different though. Jagex has the full power over their world and, if they would try to, they could easily get rid of racism and / or other rl-derived problems like scamming. By actually PUNISHING offenders I do believe things could be a lot better.

Well said, Duke. The anonymity is a big factor. As far as JAGeX having full power to rid the game of racism, scamming and such, I'd be interested to know if they really did have that power. I would really like them to do so if they could, but I just assumed that with so many players, it would be pretty hard to do. I don't have any idea, technically, how accurate that is. I've often said I'd be glad to spend several of my runescape hours a week looking out for this kind of behavior , but for now I just report it when I see it.

lpinkus

Then what makes you think adults won't follow the same behaviour in-game ? If anything, adults are more set in their views than younger people to begin with. Younger ones are more easily influenced and are in contact with all sorts of people when they go to school, from all kinds of backgrounds. Adults choose who surrounds them, and even if they work with people they disapprove of, the relationship is completely different than for kids in a school.

Then what makes you think adults won't follow the same behaviour in-game ? If anything, adults are more set in their views than younger people to begin with. Younger ones are more easily influenced and are in contact with all sorts of people when they go to school, from all kinds of backgrounds. Adults choose who surrounds them, and even if they work with people they disapprove of, the relationship is completely different than for kids in a school.

that's besides the point, the rascism problem here isn't coming from adults.

Who gives a damn who its coming from, troll are your doing is pointing the finger, and thats getting very redundant and not helping. We're all aware of the source of this problem, lets focus on the problem.

And runescape isnt a direct reflection of the real world.

I would define it as a reflection of people true nature, in the real world they have fear to balance out the rudeness.

The only way I can think of to shut these morons up, is to apply fear to the game.

that's besides the point, the rascism problem here isn't coming from adults.

How do you pretend to know that ? Yes, there are adults playing RS as well (*gasp*). There's a long thread about it in General P2P.

How do you pretend to know that ? Yes, there are adults playing RS as well (*gasp*). There's a long thread about it in General P2P.

yes i know adults play runescape, now stop trying to patronize me.

Wow, I've been away for like 2 days or so, didn't expect so many post on this thread.

I've read them all, I feel what everyone is saying no matter if they were wrong or right. But let's do avoid being biased here and get back on the topic. I did expect it to lead to other related topics though, nothing new.

I think I kinda of got my point across :?: not totally sure on that so I'm going to leave this topic up for the other tip.it members to discuss on, I may drop in to see if the discussion is still brewing.

But for now, im out :P

- Catcher Bl0k

yes i know adults play runescape, now stop trying to patronize me.

You've been patronizing every single "young" person in this entire thread. What do you expect ?

You've been patronizing every single "young" person in this entire thread. What do you expect ?

paÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷tronÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷ize

3. To treat in a condescending manner.

nope, not quite.

Um.....please people, people are rude and disrespectful are not only those under fifteen, i have met alot of people over 18 that act immature and stupid. And before you ask me, im 17 years of age. And i personaly think there is no such thing as racism. So, you would call me racist because i called you Nig-, and you do realize in other languages they do not use word african-americans when they talk about black folks, but they use word Nig-. and in their language it doesnt sound so cruel and racist. No, i am not racist. a word cannont make you racist, and i believe once again NO SUCH THING AS RACISM

SIG.jpg

RealOne.png

Im not an adult ( only 17 ) and you are wrong, i choose who surrounds me and im not an adult. :?

SIG.jpg

RealOne.png

paÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷tronÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷ize

3. To treat in a condescending manner.

nope, not quite.

Saying most young persons out there are racist is not condescending, maybe ? Yeah right...

Im not an adult ( only 17 ) and you are wrong, i choose who surrounds me and im not an adult.

Since when do people still in school choose who their schoolmates are ? You sure I'm wrong ?

Saying most young persons out there are racist is not condescending, maybe ? Yeah right...

for one thing, i never said anything like that, and i have not used a condenscending tone in any of my posts.

Um.....please people, people are rude and disrespectful are not only those under fifteen, i have met alot of people over 18 that act immature and stupid. And before you ask me, im 17 years of age. And i personaly think there is no such thing as racism. So, you would call me racist because i called you Nig-, and you do realize in other languages they do not use word african-americans when they talk about black folks, but they use word Nig-. and in their language it doesnt sound so cruel and racist. No, i am not racist. a word cannont make you racist, and i believe once again NO SUCH THING AS RACISM

i see where you're coming from, but there's more to it than just racial slurs.

insults/racism etc comes from younger players.

Yes thats not criticising younger players at all.

And to say that there is no such thing as racsism is pure ignorance.

I dont know about the current racial factor of Ukraine, but here people have been shot because they look different. And the people who shot them were often over 18.

for one thing, i never said anything like that, and i have not used a condenscending tone in any of my posts.

Crim_nimora found an example of you saying that. Look above.

When you go and start posting that such and such is doing so and so, in this case young people being racists, then you come off as someone who knows better than them. Which is condescending. Because, who the hell are you to make such statements ? The all-seeing eye ? You're damn right, it's condescending. And patronizing since you pretend to know what's right better than them.

criticism is not insulting if it's not baseless. saying that people in a certain age bracket do something is hardly stereotyping when it's been said at least 10 times by now that there are definite exceptions. if someone says that drivers aged 16-25 get in more car accidents then older drivers, is it stereotyping? is it saying that ALL drivers aged 16-25 are reckless kids that can't go five feet without hitting something?