Dropped Connection!

Kensei

Arrrrggggghhhh!

So I'm happily mining some rune ore (and have got about half inventory full), then a revenant shows up. No big deal, I have lots of run energy and 6 lobsters still So I click to move away and the screen freezes. I can still click so the the little red flag appears for me to move, but the character doesn't move. :x About 30 sec later, I find myself logged out.

I log back in and find that I'm now cheerfully back at lumbridge. :wall:

Sigh ...

Sorry needed to whine, yes I know you'll never get that 30 seconds back again.

Kensei99.png

Internet at college is horrible for me, it randomly disconnects me at least 5 times an hour. They set it up that way to stop kids from downloading music and movies illegally. that being said it makes it very hard to use my gilded alter for prayer training. Light the burners and get 3 dragon bones offered and Woops! Disconnected...log back in, burners are not lit anymore because I left my house (it kicks you out when you get disconnected) and I have to go back and bank to get the marrentil to light my burners again.

Frustrating as heck...

I feel your pain, I've had the same thing happen with death, but the prayer training thing is more recent so yea.

Trolling by giving good advice since April 2011.

The Blog - Currently Cleaning Herbs

Bladewing.png

This is RS related rants, rants about bad internet connections should probably go in off topic...

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Geez compfreak, show a "tiny" bit of empathy dude. >.>

Sorry to hear about your loss, perhaps getting better connection would help.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

Do you know how many dozens of times this has happened to me? I've lost approx. 84m to disconnects, and another 90m in drops missed due to a bad connection. I've also forgotten about an important job interview and missed out on a great investment. Crap happens to all of us, but we don't all go posting it on a RS related rants forum.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

According to Andrew, soon if you d/c like that your gravestone will remain standing instead of getting destroyed. that'll hopefully give you a better chance at survival. Although if you're pure f2p, it still won't make a difference rune mining since 3 minutes is nowhere near the time you need. But I know it'll be better for me if I chose to mine rune again, since 5 minutes should be enough time.

Do you know how many dozens of times this has happened to me? I've lost approx. 84m to disconnects, and another 90m in drops missed due to a bad connection. I've also forgotten about an important job interview and missed out on a great investment. Crap happens to all of us, but we don't all go posting it on a RS related rants forum.

Didn't you say you never lagged or something around those lines.

According to Andrew, soon if you d/c like that your gravestone will remain standing instead of getting destroyed. that'll hopefully give you a better chance at survival. Although if you're pure f2p, it still won't make a difference rune mining since 3 minutes is nowhere near the time you need. But I know it'll be better for me if I chose to mine rune again, since 5 minutes should be enough time.

Its been a long and stupid wait.

O.O

Didn't you say you never lagged or something around those lines.

Back when I was on dial up.

Its been a long and stupid wait.

Graves still stand up, I never really got the complaints about disconnecting. If someones gonna bless, it'll be a teammate be in the first few minutes after you die. And updating server awareness of players isn't an easy or bug-free task.

DeviledEgg24.png

One of the major causes of death is lag, most deaths occur when you lag and die, so why do gravestones dissapear after one of the MAIN causes of death.

Uhh... What does it matter if they dissapear? Because they look pretty? Virtually the only time it's going to be blessed is if your at a clan event\with a friend, in which case it would be blessed long before the log out timer. It's very unlikely it would have been blessed in the last 3 minutes but not the first 2.

DeviledEgg24.png

Compfreak, don't you usually tell the op to suck it up or get a better connection?

Yeah, but the wrong forum art took precedence this time, what with all the mod talk about making things on topic and in the correct forum.

DeviledEgg24.png

One of the major causes of death is lag, most deaths occur when you lag and die, so why do gravestones dissapear after one of the MAIN causes of death.

Uhh... What does it matter if they dissapear? Because they look pretty? Virtually the only time it's going to be blessed is if your at a clan event\with a friend, in which case it would be blessed long before the log out timer. It's very unlikely it would have been blessed in the last 3 minutes but not the first 2.

If you're at a training spot, usually (unless the guy hates you for whatever reason) they'll repair it, but not bless it.

Point is, it should've been this way from the beginning, so I think of it as a bug fix more than anything else.

If you're at a training spot, usually (unless the guy hates you for whatever reason) they'll repair it, but not bless it.

Point is, it should've been this way from the beginning, so I think of it as a bug fix more than anything else.

Very few dangerous spots that you'll die from lag at involve "training with someone else". Yes, it is something that would be nice to have changed, but requires a lot of effort and certainly isn't something to get upset over.

DeviledEgg24.png

Very few dangerous spots that you'll die from lag at involve "training with someone else". Yes, it is something that would be nice to have changed, but requires a lot of effort and certainly isn't something to get upset over.

Slayer comes to mind.

I really don't know how much Jagex would need to put into this, but I suppose my guess is as good as any. I would predict that Jagex would spend a decent amount of time, but not too much to make this update unreasonable. The system can already distinguish between logging out normally, disconnecting by internet, and X-ing out, so how much extra work can there be?

Oh, and of course there's the bug issue. But the bugs can't make it worse than it already is.

Slayer comes to mind.

How many slayer monsters do you know that will demolish you in 30 or so seconds from lag that are more then 5 minutes from a bank and are commonly traveled by players who would repair?

I really don't know how much Jagex would need to put into this, but I suppose my guess is as good as any. I would predict that Jagex would spend a decent amount of time, but not too much to make this update unreasonable. The system can already distinguish between logging out normally, disconnecting by internet, and X-ing out, so how much extra work can there be?

As mentioned earlier, changing the servers to maintain awareness of players across worlds took a considerable amount of work (Andrew's post).

Oh, and of course there's the bug issue. But the bugs can't make it worse than it already is.

Little bugs like locking you out of your account are so much better then an absurdly small chance of having a grave repaired? I agree it should be changed, but bugs certainly can make it MUCH worse.

DeviledEgg24.png

Slayer comes to mind.

How many slayer monsters do you know that will demolish you in 30 or so seconds from lag that are more then 5 minutes from a bank and are commonly traveled by players who would repair?

As mentioned earlier, changing the servers to maintain awareness of players across worlds took a considerable amount of work (Andrew's post).

Little bugs like locking you out of your account are so much better then an absurdly small chance of having a grave repaired? I agree it should be changed, but bugs certainly can make it MUCH worse.

1) Ok you got me there. It's true, you can get to every single slayer task that Duradel (or Lap-whatever) assigns in under 5 minutes. But you have to consider that the person disconnected. That would probably mean he or she couldn't log back in for a little bit, like a minute or so. Plenty of tasks have the ability to kill you if you DC, just not the majority. Mithril dragons, black demons, mutant bloodvelds, goraks, and a few others come to mind. But, yes, you can get to all of them in under 5 minutes.

2) But I figure if they can do everything they've done already regarding logout/disconnecting, they can at least allow the gravestone to stay. Once again, I don't know much and I don't know how hard it might be to program. I understand that to every update there is a risk of bugs, but really no matter what Jagex spent their time on, bugs would slip through, so might as well spend that time on stuff that people want.

3) What bug is that?

1) Ok you got me there. It's true, you can get to every single slayer task that Duradel (or Lap-whatever) assigns in under 5 minutes. But you have to consider that the person disconnected. That would probably mean he or she couldn't log back in for a little bit, like a minute or so. Plenty of tasks have the ability to kill you if you DC, just not the majority. Mithril dragons, black demons, mutant bloodvelds, goraks, and a few others come to mind. But, yes, you can get to all of them in under 5 minutes.

You can get to all of those in under 2 minutes. There's no problem.

3) What bug is that?

An example of a bug that could come from a glitch in the server updates. Don't go spouting that a bug is better then a tiny update that would virtually never be used - a bug is a quick way to trash a game (See: Fally Massacre)

DeviledEgg24.png

You can get to all of those in under 2 minutes. There's no problem.

3) What bug is that?

An example of a bug that could come from a glitch in the server updates. Don't go spouting that a bug is better then a tiny update that would virtually never be used - a bug is a quick way to trash a game (See: Fally Massacre)

In under 2 minutes might be a stretch. I'm not sure how you would get to some more remote areas, such as Mutated Velds that fast (even if you use abyss) since you have to gear up and everything. I don't doubt that it's possible, but I'm saying someone who just lost connection and whose connection is still jumpy after they did would have a hard time getting there in what little time they have.

Ah, I see what you mean by bug. Well, everything has that risk though, not just gravestones.

In under 2 minutes might be a stretch. I'm not sure how you would get to some more remote areas, such as Mutated Velds that fast (even if you use abyss) since you have to gear up and everything. I don't doubt that it's possible, but I'm saying someone who just lost connection and whose connection is still jumpy after they did would have a hard time getting there in what little time they have.

Gear: a hatchet. Time to get back from Lumbridge bank: Under one minute. Glory to edge, withdraw a hatchet, house tele, and an energy pot. Run through abyss and pick up stuff nearby. It's very simple. If your connection is so glitchy that it takes 5 times as long to do anything, you shouldn't be slaying dangerous monsters.

Also, have you ever been to bloodvields? You don't see someone who will repair your grave every 5 minutes, or even every hour. It's essentially deserted, and it should be if your cannoning anyway.

Ah, I see what you mean by bug. Well, everything has that risk though, not just gravestones.

But a server awareness bug carries much more potential for a serious bug, and is very difficult to test - requiring many man hours and time.

DeviledEgg24.png

Hes ranting about how his connection fails, he never asked jagex to fix it.

Then why is this in a RS rant forum? Shouldn't it go in off topic?

DeviledEgg24.png

Its still relevant to runescape, even though theres nothing jagex can do to fix it.

Then it voilates the rants forum rules at viewtopic.php?f=66&t=783809:

The Rants forum is a place for you vent your RuneScape frustrations, but that does not mean that you can post incoherent one-sentence rants. Similar to how General Discussion topics need to supply a platform for discussion and RuneScape Bugs & Suggestions topics need well thought out ideas, your rants also need to be worthy of discussion. Rather than saying, "I don't like this, it sucks," you need to present a valid argument for your rant and back it up.

DeviledEgg24.png