Hot Places To Train - 2008/09 Edition (adding slowly)

Jadinko

GUIDE NO WHERE NEAR FINISHED YET

Things which are to be added:

Equipment

Dragon Claws DONE

Dragon Dagger DONE

Dragon Mace DONE

Verecs

Guthans

Dharoks DONE

(finish) Bandos

Fighter Torso

Melee Void

Freminik Helms

Jewellery

Boots, Capes, gloves

Familiars

Void Spinner

Bunyip

Unicorn

BoB's

Locations

Pest Control

Soul Wars

Armoured Zombies

Bandits

Zombie Monkeys

Giant Skeletons

Ankou

Orks

Giant Spiders

Editing

Colours

Grammar/Spell Check

Quality Insurance

Formatting

Improved content of written work

HOT or NOT - DONE

Runescape has come a long way in terms of the variety of spots it has given us to train combat. Places which used to be of such high value, such as King Lanthas' Training Ground, where the ogres were constanstly fought over and the fire giants in the waterfall dungeon were all to few have become something of the past.

In this light, but informative guide I will be telling you the in's and out's of each specific location, why and why not train there and who should be there.

Let us begin with the artillery of 2009

[hide=Abyssal Whip]r1aee9.png

The Abyssal Whip. just as Adored now, as it was back in '05. This brilliant all-rounder can be used for all instances of training.

Pros:

- Requires a minimal 70 attack to weild

- Fast, powerful and accurate

- 1 handed

Cons:

- Can not train strength

- Useless special attack

2rd8bgw.jpg[/hide]

[hide=Saradomin Sword]2hxolro.png

The Saradomin sword is a two-handed sword which can be obtained in the God Wars Dungeon as a drop from Commander Zilyana and her bodyguards. This new addition allowed the more well-off community to train strength at a more desirable rate, as its stats out-weighed the dragon scimitar/rune defender combo.

Pros:

- An alternative option to training strength

- As fast as a scimitar or a whip

- Special attack can be useful

- has a +2 prayer bonus

Cons:

- at a much cheaper price, the abyssal whip/rune defender combo is more efficient.

- relatively expensive at 6.5m (25/04/09)

- 2 handed. Does not allow use for a shield or defende

2rd8bgw.jpg[/hide]

[hide=Dragon Scimitar]29mafm1.png

The Dragon scimitar. This weapon is commonly used for players wishing to train their strength skill (often combined with a rune defender) and pures. Until recently, when it was more or less replaced by the Saradomin Sword, it was the only considerable weapon to train strength with.

Pros:

- Requires 60 attack to weild

- Cheap and easy to replace

- 1 handed

Cons:

- Requres a hard quest called Monkey Madness to be completed

- Saradomin Sword replaced this weapon, and so for that reason:

oad5ef.jpg[/hide]

[hide=The God Sword]nc1n2x.gif2edvbiq.gifrvaqso.gif

The God Sword comes in 4 different packages: Bandos, Zamorak, Armadyl and Saradomin, but for training purposes only, i would choose the Saradomin God Sword. The God sword can only come under one category: Power. It sacrifices speed and obtainability to be the strongest weapon in Runescape.

Pros:

- Saradomin God Sword can heal prayer and hitpoints when using its special attack. 50% of bar

- Very high accuracy and strength which surpasses any weapon

Cons:

- Very slow

- 2 handed

- extremely expensive

2rd8bgw.jpg[/hide]

[hide=Dragon Claws]978rk0.gif53pa1i.gif978rk0.gif

The Dragon Claws were released alongside the first ever grandmaster quest, while guthix sleeps. They are the special feature in PVP worlds and are also popular with combat bosses as their special attack, "Slice and Dice" can deal up to 4 attacks, using just 50% of the special bar. Although their special attack is superior to almost any weapon, it would be ill-adivised to suggest using the claws for casual training. They require 60 attack to weild as with all dragon weapons.

Pros:

- devistating special attack, which has the ability to KO an opponent.

- high 'keep on death' priority

Cons:

- Expensive

- Generally weak in casual combat

- 2 handed

2rd8bgw.jpg[/hide]

[hide=The Dragon Dagger]14jvq03.gif

The dragon dagger comes in a variety of styles. The one which you would want to buy is the Super poisoned type (Dragon Dagger (p++)). The DDP++ is a very old and favoured weapon amongst the old school pkers. It's special attack can deal 2 attacks in 1 turn and only takes up 25% of the special bar (similar to dragon claws) which is why it is still used fairly often today. It required 60 attack to wield and completion of the Lost City quest.

Pros:

- Highly available and affordable

- Special attack is useful

- 1 handed

Cons:

- special is inferior to the Dragon Claws

- weak for casual training

oad5ef.jpg[/hide]

[hide=The Rune Defender]5chrpw.png

The Rune Defender is a relatively easy side arm to obtain which will greatly improve the accuracy and strength of any 1 handed weapon.

Pros:

- Easy and enjoyable to obtain

- Boasts a massive +20, +19 and +18 to stab, slash and crush respectively. More so than any other side arm

- also offers average defensive bonuses and a +5 strength bonus

- level 40 attack and defence needed to equip

Cons:

- Can not be used with 2 handed weapons

- Untradable, and must have a combined attack and strength level of 130 to enter Warriors Guild

2rd8bgw.jpg[/hide]

[hide=Dragon Mace]2cyf9xh.png

The dragon Mace was 'once used' for its powerful special attack. It is still somewhat used by lower levels, but in my opinion, replaced by such weapons as the dragon dagger and dragon long sword. It requires 60 attack and completion of Heroes quest to wield.

Pros:

- Special attack does have its place, but still rarely used

Cons:

- newer and more exciting special attacks replaced this old timer, and so for that reason:

oad5ef.jpg[/hide]

[hide=Barrow Armour Sets]Barrow Armour Sets

The first of the Barrows Armour Sets i am going to be talking about, is the renowned Dharoks. It's formiddable high-hitting, noob-exciting ability offers excellent experience for the thrill seekers of Runescape.

2144klw.png

How Dharoks works: When the full set is equipped (helm, legs, platebody and great axe) the LOWER your hitpoints are, the HIGHER your max hit can be. When your hitpoints are under 10% your strength will be doubled.

If dharoks is to be used effectively, the player has to atleast under 20% health and be praying protect from melee. These circumstances can be used at popular training grounds, such as: Zombie Monkeys, Gorillas at Ape Atoll, Pest Control, Soul Wars, Armoured Zombies and many more...

As you can see, the set effect can be used in a variety of places. Now, lets look at the Pros and Cons of Dharoks:

Pros:

- Offers excellent experience when used correctly, topping 100k +

Cons:

- If used correctly, certain circumstances need to be set...

- Prayer potions / Close to an altar

- High healthed monster

- Risk of dying

- Barrows Repair Costs

... and for these reasons, I have given dharoks:

2rd8bgw.jpg[/hide]

So, after you have chosen your ideal weapon to train with, its time to check out what you can wear to defend yourself, or rather to excel yourself...

Here is a choice of offensive armours available to you in 2009

[hide=Dragonfire Shield]m8dz5y.gif

The Dragonfire Shield. This is one of the newer additions to the Runescape armoury and offers an excellent defensive bonus along with a cheeky strength bonus. Although it is recommended to choose a rune defender over the Dragonfire shield (DFS) it does have its uses. MAKE SURE YOUR DFS IS FULLY CHARGED.

Pros:

- Can be used for dragon slaying, as it absorbs dragon-fire

- Highest defence bonuses of any shield and offers a +7 strength bonus

- Can be used with any 1 handed weapon

- Has its own special attack, which can hit up to 25

Cons:

- Very expensive

- Has to be charged (DFS can be charged by absorbing 50 dragon fire breaths from any dragon)[/hide]

[hide=Bandos Armour]au9wnk.gifvp9biw.png16bzhio.png

Bandos armour: Bandos Armour comes in a set of three: The Chestplate, Tassets and Boots.[/hide]

Miseryism | Completionist

Definitly add DDS++ and Dragon mace as special attack weapons. Zamarokian spear is awesome aswell, seeing it is now widely used as waterfiends weapon, due to high crush value.

Optional, you could add barrows weapons. The Verac flail (with set effect) is quite unique, as is the dharok axe (with set effect)

Other options of adding: Zamarok book (prayer pages), as alternative to shield slot.

A nice thing you mention all weapons and there pro's / con's, you could try listing a few ''most common uses'' for them.

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

Nice guide, will you add a F2P section sometime afterward?

Since it's P2P, you forgot to mention one thing: dragon claws.

The special hits 4 very accurate hits at once. A very useful weapon for P2P PKing.

Hopefully your guide will be finished soon. :)

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

oh hai

thanks guys. Will add in all suggestions.

As im not a F2Per i will need to source all my information, if any of you can help it would be great! obviously i know all the basics, weapons etc.

oh hai

As im not a F2Per i will need to source all my information, if any of you can help it would be great! obviously i know all the basics, weapons etc.

You can ask me about rune scimitars and longswords if you want. :) They're the best melee weapons in F2P.

Oh, and maple shortbow is the best ranged weapon for F2P.

And elemental staffs (any kind) are the best magic weapons for F2P.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

oh hai

You can ask me about rune scimitars and longswords if you want. :) They're the best melee weapons in F2P.

thanks, i need more information, like where to train in F2P, im guessing ankou/ giant spiders. if so, i already have it.

also im only adding spot which are not out of date.

oh hai

thanks, i need more information, like where to train in F2P, im guessing ankou/ giant spiders. if so, i already have it.

also im only adding spot which are not out of date.

There are also Flesh Crawlers in F2P, which are excellent training as well.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Let's consider the Zerker necklace/Obby sword combo. Although traditional, it beats the Sara Sword and D scim in str by far. It's not dead yet, so you have to discuss it. Imo, best way to train strength outside of controlled.

Let's consider the Zerker necklace/Obby sword combo. Although traditional, it beats the Sara Sword and D scim in str by far. It's not dead yet, so you have to discuss it. Imo, best way to train strength outside of controlled.

im not overly familiar with this method, ive always seen this as an alternative to using the d scim or ss, because they have neither completed monkey madness nor have 70 attack.

Ill look into it...

im not overly familiar with this method, ive always seen this as an alternative to using the d scim or ss, because they have neither completed monkey madness nor have 70 attack.

Ill look into it...

No my friend. It's not an ALTERNATIVE, it's an IMPROVEMENT :thumbsup:

Here's an old hot topic thread I authored discussing it. It's like 8 or 9 pages of solid information for you:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=750480&hilit=Zerker+Necklace

You could also include the rest of the Dragon weapons as well. Dragon longsword, Dragon halberd, and Dragon battleaxe can be added.

You can add all the dragon weapons if you want, although they will most likely be OUT DATED!!

Oh, and by the way, if you're adding ranged, add Dark Bow + Dragon Arrows. Its special attack is deadly.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Not sure about adding range, as i think the whole skill is - OUT DATEDD!! \'

Ranged still has its uses, although the dark bow is worthless for training.