Router Caught Fire - Looking to Buy Another

Laura

Yeah, my Linksys router actually caught fire, I think. I knew it had heat issues before, so I rested it on three objects that allowed air to flow underneath the unit. Now there's a small bit of burned-looking material on the bottom of the router.

I was looking to buy a new dual-band router, but man. Does anyone have any have any suggestions for dual-band routers? Are there any other routers with USB ports for printing and HDD access? I was looking at Apple's Airport Extreme, but $165 including military discount it a bit much. My current, or old router is/was a WRT310N.

And note that the router does still work but I am fearful of leaving it on without a fan blowing on it now, which probably would cost me more in electricity than $165.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by "Dual-Band". Do you actually mean dual-band in wireless router terms (ie. supports 2.4GHz and 5GHz range clients) or not? If you mean the router is backwards compatible with older standards then that's not what dual-band means, and all wireless-N routers will be compatible with 3 standards (N/G/B).

If you decide from my explanation above you don't actually need dual-band, then this one is supposed to be on par with your old Linksys one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... pk=DIR-655

However, Linksys products generally tend to be OK, your old router is well known for running hot, but depending how long it took to die, it might be better to just buy another one of the same make/model.

That's the first time I've heard of a router actually catching fire. :lol:

I guess the best thing to do is just buy a new one, I have this one that I'm quite happy with.

http://www.dlink.ca/products/?sec=0&pid=670

Err...at least I think that's it.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Yeah, I suppose I meant simultaneous though. I went out and bought a WRT610N, but the 5Ghz frequency keeps on crashing. The only other simultaneous dual-band one at the store was the Apple Base Station. Thank you for the recommendations, but as I think of it now, I don't think I can afford to wait for a delivery. I'm going to return the Linksys, as their tech support said it qualified for a replacement. The only reason I wanted the 5Ghz is because whenever someone would call, the internet would go down because of the cordless phones. But my phone only uses 2.4Ghz so I cannot give up that frequency all together.

Funny thing that you mention that last statement, Pure_MageUK, as the salesmen recommended that as well. It seemed that he was just trying to sell off old over-stocked products, nor was he catering to my situation.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Yeah, I suppose I meant simultaneous though. I went out and bought a WRT610N, but the 5Ghz frequency keeps on crashing. The only other simultaneous dual-band one at the store was the Apple Base Station. Thank you for the recommendations, but as I think of it now, I don't think I can afford to wait for a delivery. I'm going to return the Linksys, as their tech support said it qualified for a replacement. The only reason I wanted the 5Ghz is because whenever someone would call, the internet would go down because of the cordless phones. But my phone only uses 2.4Ghz so I cannot give up that frequency all together.

Funny thing that you mention that last statement, Pure_MageUK, as the salesmen recommended that as well. It seemed that he was just trying to sell off old over-stocked products, nor was he catering to my situation.

Have you tried changing the wireless channel on your router? Although it's operating on 2.4GHz you should find there are 10-12 different channels that slightly change the frequency within that range. You might find that one of them doesn't get interference from your phone.

Yes, but all of the other devices run on 2.4Ghz. The 5Ghz is the one that's dropping. I'm returning this and buying the Base Station. :x

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Yes, but all of the other devices run on 2.4Ghz. The 5Ghz is the one that's dropping. I'm returning this and buying the Base Station. :x

No I meant buy a non dual-band router and try some channel switching. But if you're buying the Apple one anyway it's fairly irrelevant.