Need info on rates of 99s [heavy question warning]

Zaaps1

Smithing - do whatever has been suggested to 88.

After 88, addy plates are the only way to go. Buying bars just to smith plates is very expensive. However, if you use the blast furnace, you can smelt your own bars and smith them for profit. The key is getting there - your best option is to put your house in Taverly, use house teletabs and the nearby cart to travel to Keldagrim, and dueling rings to bank. You can also try using slayer rings to access the fairy ring outside the slaver dungeon in order to travel to right outside Keldagrim. This lets you use a BoB, but my tests of this method yield mixed results, even with a War Tortoise. The house method averages out to about 50k smithing XP and 200k of profit per hour, using super energy pots. Slow, sure, but if you turn those profits over into buying bars, you can break even and still level quickly. And you can use SC hammers when you smith the bars to really boost your XP rates.

Very interesting idea, thanks a bunch for bringing it up! I'll have to take a look at how much 99 smith would cost me other ways, and see how much I'd benefit, though. I tried the blast furnace before, and that door thing to the anvils really annoys the hell outta me #-o

You won't actually smith the bars at the furnace. Just smelt, bank, and repeat. Then when you have a certain amount, go somewhere else to smith them. Then you don't have to deal with the gate, which I agree is quite annoying.

Wouldn't that be a lot slower, though?

Not really. The anvils in Varrock and Yanille are so close to the bank that you don't have to worry about wasting too much time smithing there. Besides, your inventory size would give you left over bars every run regardless, and having to include a hammer in your inventory takes up a spot that could be used to make a bar.

Now, if you are using a BoB, it makes more sense to smith your plates there, because you will usually have time between your first and second batches of bars being smelted. And you lose less in the long run by sacrificing an inventory spot for a bar. Making 40 bars with a war tortoise and smithing 8 plates before leaving would be quicker than banking to smith later.

Not really. The anvils in Varrock and Yanille are so close to the bank that you don't have to worry about wasting too much time smithing there. Besides, your inventory size would give you left over bars every run regardless, and having to include a hammer in your inventory takes up a spot that could be used to make a bar.

Now, if you are using a BoB, it makes more sense to smith your plates there, because you will usually have time between your first and second batches of bars being smelted. And you lose less in the long run by sacrificing an inventory spot for a bar. Making 40 bars with a war tortoise and smithing 8 plates before leaving would be quicker than banking to smith later.

Gotcha, so I'll smith it there with a BoB then. Thanks! And you say this profits? By how much?