Public Chat Ban - Close Please!

Dire_Wolf

Why i asked to close this thread

This suggestion was suggested to avoid players (Mainly price manipulators) from flooding chat through advertising clan chats they use. However i was told spamming/flooding chat was against rules and i looked it up and it's true.

Rules of Runescape>Respect>Spamming, or disruptive behaviour

6. What is flooding the chat window?

Spamming/flooding the chat window is to fill the chat window with unnecessary text. This is an offence and is disruptive and unfair on other players, as it makes it more difficult for them to communicate and trade with each other.

To keep RuneScape enjoyable for everyone, please observe and follow our rules. We will not tolerate disruptive players, and if you break our rules your account is likely to be banned or muted. Members who are banned or muted for breaking our rules are not entitled to any sort of refund.

Here's a suggestion and i hope for some constructive criticism and also comments if it's useful or not.

Have you often gone to G.E only to turn your public chat to "Friends" or added some spamming players to ignore list? Well this suggestion is to help against that.

Now you might ask "Why does your public chat have to be on "O N"?" Because some of us like having it that way, after all a online game is about interacting with other players.

SOLUTION

I hope there is no disadvantage that come along with this solution that i will present. Basically if a player constantly keeps shooting alot messages out in short amount of time within 10 minutes they will receive a 30 minute ban from public chat. The criteria for the mute ban is a players speed at sending out messages and the amount of it withing 10 minutes. Public chat is not for auto advertisement.

42431962e2aadcb6efb1c150661d88c4a311d19.png

As you can see in this chat the player with name "Goldmerch4" keeps repeatedly sending out messages and it's clear that he/she have been doing this for a while. So he/she will will definitely get a mute ban from public chat for 30 mins. This chat filter that gives players 30 minute ban from public chat should be only used in places that are crowded or can be.

Repetitive Chat

A good suggestion that is good to use if it can be done. It's suggested by Mweddie as you can see. I would say this should be called "Repetitive filter". So if someone says same thing 15 times, then they will get a ban.

You could also have it so that you only get banned if you say something that is repetitive like this

Megamercher475:Join mega merch!we make millions. You can become a millionaire in seconds

Megamercher475:Join mega merch!we make millions. You can become a millionaire in seconds

This could also get rid of the muting players that just type quickly.

P.S Even if you turn chat off or add players to ignore list, the spamming will make your messages in private chat disappear alot faster.

Thanks for reading.

[CHANGES]

First i decided the chat filter would evaluated if you get a mute ban within 3 minutes. That is it would check on you and how fast and many messages you send out within 3 minutes...

But i think 10 minutes would be better, so i changed it to that.

That solution might be an issue. What if you type mistakes like:

Player 1: Waht are you doing?

Player 1: Wath*

Player 1: What*

Player 1: Lol

Player 1: Can't spell today :P

Player 2: Lol

Then that scenario will end with:

Player 1: You are banned from public talking for 30 Minutes.

And what if your telling someone something that takes up a lot of space?

Public chat banning, that's what mutes are for :P

Link0000109.png

Homer: So if we don't all vote the same way we'll be "deadlocked" and be "sequestered" at the Springfield Hotel, where we'll get Free Room, Free TV, Free Food, Free HBO. OOH! Free Willy!

Skinner: Homer I think this has something more to do than a disobedient whale.

Homer: Okay, how are the rest of you voting.

Every member of the Jury: Guilty.

Homer: How many "S'" in innocent?

*Jury groans*

Homer: I'm only doing what I think is right. I believe Freddy Quimby should walk out of here a free hotel.

player 1 in a clan war

"[clan] on [player]"

"[clan] on [player]"

"[clan] on [player]"

"[clan] on [player]"

"[clan] on [player]"

"[clan] on [player]"

"[clan] on [player]"

"[clan] on [player]"

The player 1 has been temporarily muted for 30 mins.

Sorry but i think i found a downside :oops:

Zaroterasu.png

That solution might be an issue. What if you type mistakes like:

Player 1: Waht are you doing?

Player 1: Wath*

Player 1: What*

Player 1: Lol

Player 1: Can't spell today :P

Player 2: Lol

Then that scenario will end with:

Player 1: You are banned from public talking for 30 Minutes.

And what if your telling someone something that takes up a lot of space?

Public chat banning, that's what mutes are for :P

The idea was that if you constantly shout out messages in public chat within 3 minutes very fast then you would get a mute ban from public chat. So the speed and amount of messages coming to the chat affects if you get mute ban. Auto messagers usually tend to shout out messages very fast, so it's meant for them. However i see that this can be a problem. So instead i will lengthen the filter, so that it don't mute ban someone who's not a auto messager.

What if your just talking to someone?

MESSAGES IN PUBLIC CHAT

Speed+Amount= Mute ban

So you won't get a mute ban just for typing many message, you should get it when the chat filter picks up that your sending out alot of messages in very short amount of time like a auto messager do. So it might mute ban players who are shouting "Selling Godsword!", but then again what's the point of shouting that out when there is a G.E and Runescape selling/buying forums?

Again if you shout out messages fast and many of them within 10 minutes, you will receive the mute ban. First i decided for 3 minutes, but i think 10 minutes would be proper as that would help in making it less of a disadvantage to players who are not spammers.

player 1 in a clan war

"[clan] on [player]"

"[clan] on [player]"

"[clan] on [player]"

"[clan] on [player]"

"[clan] on [player]"

"[clan] on [player]"

"[clan] on [player]"

"[clan] on [player]"

The player 1 has been temporarily muted for 30 mins.

Sorry but i think i found a downside :oops:

If your in clan wars and doing a war then the chat filter should not care about it. Because clan wars (in the game) have no spam unless you consider friends messages spam lol.

Anyhow this filter is for places where auto messagers spam the areas so much with their stupid advertisements that it:

1) Makes private messages/clan chat messages disappear faster because of all the messages coming into game

2) Making chat go up and down so crazy that you can't read something in public chat without struggling a bit.

Example of 2) You go to world 2 and decide to see if you can get a 3rd age melee items there. You go there and then you get so many messages at you that once they are put into game they immediately get scrolled away.

• 2 weeks later...

You could also have it so that you only get banned if you say something that is repeditive like this

You could also have it so that you only get banned if you say something that is repeditive like this

Good idea :thumbup: Thank you\ :thumbsup:

the thing is that most autotypers are able to type a couple of different sentenses for example:

Megamercher475:Join mega merch! We make millions. You can become a millionair in seconds

Megamercher475:All our last items made big cash!!

Megamercher475:If you want fast money join mega merch!!

Megamercher475:Join mega merch! We make millions. You can become a millionair in seconds

(and so on...)

they can let the program repeat these sentences in random order, that way they dont get banned

claneurope.gif

exercitum-1.png

[hide]visage drop 11/01/09

goals:

all skills 70+ (completed)

all skills 80+

98% Of teenagers surround their minds with rap music, if you're part of the 2% that stayed with rock, put this in your signature, ROCK IS BETTER![/hide]

the thing is that most autotypers are able to type a couple of different sentenses for example:

Megamercher475:All our last items made big cash!!

Megamercher475:If you want fast money join mega merch!!

(and so on...)

they can let the program repeat these sentences in random order, that way they dont get banned

That's a good point. But if they don't do that, then they won't get caught...but that does not mean they will get away.

Just by typing fast and keeping doing so will get them a public chat ban. Go up to first post and read why. :thumbup:

Personally I'd rather JaGex focuses on something that is needed more than on implementing a system that could negatively affect the player base and only 'sometimes' catch the offenders.

We have an ignore list for a reason.

We also have P-Mods for a reason.

Edit: And the report button ::'

O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O

Personally I'd rather JaGex focuses on something that is needed more than on implementing a system that could negatively affect the player base and only 'sometimes' catch the offenders.

So if one or more players spam G.E or a other place, you can tell a P-Mod or a Report them?

I use the ignore list thank you, but everyday i get new people to add....even if you have added them to ignore list your private chat/clan chat messages will be spammed faster. So that's another negative thing.

And the report button.

I don't know about this, but how can you report someone?

They are advertising for their clan chats which is a price manipulation, but how is that against rules? It should if you ask me for things like price manipulations though.

[hide=Quote]

So if one or more players spam G.E or a other place, you can tell a P-Mod or a Report them?

I use the ignore list thank you, but everyday i get new people to add....even if you have added them to ignore list your private chat/clan chat messages will be spammed faster. So that's another negative thing.

And the report button.

I don't know about this, but how can you report someone?

They are advertising for their clan chats which is a price manipulation, but how is that against rules? It should if you ask me for things like price manipulations though.

[/hide]

Is it really too much effort to add someone to your ignore list? Also, if it's full ( yes, i took a preempetive strike on your next argument), just remove the old people. Chances are you'll never see them again.

I was under the impression that, Rule 1. Offensive Language, included spam and therefore was reportable.

Is it really too much effort to add someone to your ignore list? Also, if it's full ( yes, i took a preempetive strike on your next argument), just remove the old people. Chances are you'll never see them again.

I was under the impression that, Rule 1. Offensive Language, included spam and therefore was reportable.

Removing old people is a good idea, i did not think of it that way so that's good. But what if i see them again?

Anyhow that's just a small thing. Being under the impression that spam goes by Rule 1: Offensive language is not enough.

Also look at Price manipulators, they are no good. So why must they also ruin the public chat with their garbage?

EDIT:

I went to look deeper into what you said and found this:

6. What is flooding the chat window?

Spamming/flooding the chat window is to fill the chat window with unnecessary text. This is an offence and is disruptive and unfair on other players, as it makes it more difficult for them to communicate and trade with each other.

To keep RuneScape enjoyable for everyone, please observe and follow our rules. We will not tolerate disruptive players, and if you break our rules your account is likely to be banned or muted. Members who are banned or muted for breaking our rules are not entitled to any sort of refund.

So that means this thread and topic use is not needed. So i will be closing this thread.

Thanks alot for feedback. Great thanks to u Pika, i really did not see spamming as a bad thing to Jagex. I thought they didn't have a report option for that.