Design Work - The Clothespin

Keiphus

So I was recently assigned a project, where I was to take a random object and come up with as many different creative variations on it as I could.

I present to you, the clothespin.

Clothespin.jpg

All 4 Phases were done as sets of 45 4"x4" sketches each, with UltraFine Sharpie ® Markers.

Phase A: I started first by simply looking into the object in closeups and working with it as much I could. What unique compositions and styles could I get with just using the clothespin by itself?

PhaseA.jpg

Phase B: The second task was to try and repeat certain elements of the design. This phase had many interesting pieces, but ultimately I chose some of the weaker ones in hopes of being able to digitally enhance them. Unforunately I feel that this attempt was a bit unsuccessful, and I'll probably be trying some new ones.

PhaseB.jpg

Phase C: The next phase was to implement a sense of line & shape, opposed to just redrawing the clothespin with positive and negative space. I have very many beautiful (in my opinion) designs for this one, but so far I've only reworked 3 on the computer. Hopefully I can get around to doing a few more if I have time.

PhaseC.jpg

Phase D: The final idea was to attempt to combine letterform with the shape of the clothespin. What if I have a client who wants a clothespin in their logo, and the name of their company is "Pete's"? How can I best describe this visually? One of the "J's" on this one will be replaced by another design using a Y for the mouth of the clothespin. Of all the Phases, so far these are the least refined in terms of angle/line accuracy. I'll be reworking them later tonight.

PhaseD.jpg

Hope you've enjoyed a look into what I've been doing the last 2 weeks. :)

All comments and suggestions appreciated.

I love the letterforms.. except the H? with the white background.. the negative works much better, I think. Takes the focus away from the fact that it looks like a clothes pin, so it's more subtle.

The line repetition designs are also really interesting. The 2 on the left I think are my favorite. The right is interesting.. but doesn't look like a clothespin much at all..

IRKAa.jpg

Very nice Keiphus, this is an interesting assignment you were giving. And with you behind it I half expected it to be something like this. I'm with Wyrm on this the letter forms are spectacular and the Line/Shape is very interesting. Kind of played tricks with my eyes; but it's none-the-less great. Keep it up and if you do rework a few, post the updates; I want to see them.