Summoning defence

Aneron

From Jagex's description of combat familiars, it sounds as if some of familiars' attacks are measured against the summoning defence of an armor, and some are measured against the magic/range/melee defence. The kbase makes it seem like special attacks and "some of their stranger attacks" apply to summoning, while the normal attacks go to a regular defence. I was just wondering if anyone has more information in this regard. Primarily I was debating whether a wolpertinger would be more effective than a steel titan against players wearing metal armor (the steel titan's attack is essentially useless against anyone in barrows with decent defence), but also I'm curious. :P

this was the only information I could find on the RS website:

Summoning - The Basics

I can't remember where I read it, but I do remember reading somewhere that a player's summoning defence bonus, as well as their normal defence bonuses / levels both play a part in determining how effective a familiar's attack will be. From what I read, a player's normal defensive bonus / levels determine the likelyhood of hitting with a familiar, and the summoning defence bonus determines how high the familiar will be able to hit on a fairly controlled basis, a la elysian / divine spirit shields.

Again I don't remember if I read tha on RSOF or on a fansite, but it seems fairly accurate sounding lol.

hope that helps

I think "Special moves and some of their stranger attacks" refers to:

1. Scroll attacks

2. Right-click attacks

3. Familiar-specific attacks that occasionally replace the normal attack (e.g. the Stranger Plant has an attack that hits for 2 poison damage that it randomly uses instead of its normal attack.)

The normal attack is going to be determined by defence level.