[Help Wanted!] Mining: A Complete Guide

Zaaps1

As promised...

Forum Name: Kaida23

Desired Name for Credits: Kaida23

Method (2): F2P powermining iron in Rimmington

Equipment (1): Rune Pickaxe

Results (2): 36050 Xp/60 minutes

Powermined 3 iron rocks, W10 w/1500-1600 people, minor competition at the beginning but few losses, no randoms, no need to rest or recharge run energy.

I can try and get a 2-rock result for you as well, but it's only effective for training if you're in a completely full world at which point it's Xp rate falls between my two methods (aprox. 33-34k/hour, I had exact numbers from when I started my blog but I deleted them... :wall: ). Since the run energy update, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're in an off-peak timezone and it's easy to find a free spot.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to do the 2-rock method, as it is definitely slower than the other two. Thanks for your help!

No problem. I'll try and get the rest of the F2P mining rates you've asked for in the next few days.

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Forum Name: hedgehog1

Desired Name for Credits: Hedgehog One

Method (1):the first one

Equipment (1):rune pick in inventory

Results (1):about 26k xp per hour, 750 ores

Method (1): Granite

Equipment (1): Rune pickaxe, desert wyrm, 3 empty spots arranged vertically

Results (1): Averaged 60k xp per hour

I'll get you the concentrated gold rates when I go back to mining

I'm not really sure if you'd want this, but it might come in handy:

Forum Name: Vulxai

Desired Name for Credits: Vulxai

Method (1): p2p

Equipment (1): Granite helm, Elite black platebody, granite legs, toktz-ket-xil, dragon boots, barrows gloves, Quest cape, Glory, Dragon pick - Obsidian Golem

Results (1): averaged 528 coal ores per hour.

Method (2): Concentrated Coal - I took 3 obsidian Golems and a summoning potion with me, when one golem's timer ran out, I'd sip the potion and immediately summon another. Once all 3 were gone, I went to edgeville, counted my coal, then divided that by 165 (55 * 3, Obsidian Golems last 55 minutes, and I had 3 of them) to get my number of ores per minute, multiplied by 60, and it came out to be 528.36. At 50xp per coal, that's 26,418.18 xp/hr.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

Thank you everyone!

Vulxai, I don't doubt your numbers, but as Mck said, something seems wrong. I know that the xp per ore is different down at Living Rocks than normal ores, so did you count xp also, or just ores?

I just counted the ores, I wasn't originally going to count my xp rates, but I banked and saw the coal, so just figured I'd see how much I was averaging. I can count the actual xp this time around.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

Alright, although I'd prefer xp rates. Make sure you find out Concentrated Coal's xp/ore though, since it's different from normal coal.

Alright, although I'd prefer xp rates. Make sure you find out Concentrated Coal's xp/ore though, since it's different from normal coal.

It's 50 xp/ore, I've been watching my xp as I mine, and it always went up in 50 xp increments, and when you "manage to mine two at a time" it gave me 100 xp.

Equipment (1): Rune Pickaxe

Method (1): Mining Guild - banking coal

Results (1): 15350 Xp/60 minutes, W153 w/400-500 people

I started the timer at the bank and made 11 complete trips (time ran out half-way back to the mine at the start of trip 12) running from the bank to the mine. There was no need to rest as run energy recharged while mining.

Method (2): Mining Guild - powemining coal

Results (2): 20600 Xp/60 minutes, W21 w/700-800 people

I used the same 8-rock pattern for both runs. Also, I found that the number of people in the world didn't seem to matter because by the time I'd completed the pattern, the first couple of rocks had always respawned.

Thank you everyone!

Kaida, when you banked coal you got about 300, correct? Just checking.

Kaida, when you banked coal you got about 300, correct? Just checking.

That's right. I banked 307 coal and one emerald.

Forum Name: thekiller308

Desired Name for Credits: MischlingsSH

Method (1): Mining Concentrated Gold in Living Rock Caverns (mining coal when all gold rocks are down), 28 gold per inventory, world 84

Equipment (1): Varrock Armour 3, Rune Pickaxe, Obsidian Golem, non-barrows armour in other slots

Results (1): 44415 xp in 55 minutes, extrapolated to 48452 xp/hr (though that would require bringing extra pouches in your inventory to maintain for the full hour)

Note: There were times where I made mistakes due to not paying full attention, so 50k xp/hr should be relatively easy to get with this method if you pay more attention to when your inventory fills up. This also was at a peak time (3 PM EST on a Saturday) so there was a sizable amount of lag, slowing down both banking and running to the rocks.

EDIT: It's far too bad that I didn't keep track of xp rates back when I got 85 mining banking iron ores -- that would've been a huge data sample, but back then I just didn't care.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

Haha, well neither did I back then :)

Thanks for your info!

I just looked again, and the guide linked to in section 6 is currently extremely out of date. Thanks to various updates, not just RuneTek 5, the pathfinding algorithm has changed greatly, meaning that most of the tips in Keruly's guide are extremely out of date. The biggest changes are that all monsters now go diagonally and trapping them on the east or west side of a corner is no longer effective as they'll just walk around the corner.

I just thought that I'd mention this, but there's really no guide that can replace it in the meantime, as there aren't really any guides written in nearly as much detail on that topic since.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

Thanks for telling me. I'm going to keep the link because it still has some useful information, and isn't totally obsolete. However I will replace it if I find anything better.

Method: powermining Iron

Equipment: Rune Pickaxe, full Rune armor, food

Results: 27055 42:09 mins, W17/900-1000 people. (aprox. 38k/hour)

I started the timer after the Hobs stopped being aggressive and mined the four rocks recommended by Sonic, but didn't get anywhere near what he had predicted. It took me three tries to get this, and it's still not a full hour (I stopped the timer when I was attacked). Each time someone would come along and PK me. While this is slightly faster than powermining in Rimmington, I don't think that the hassle of waiting for the Hobgoblins to be non-aggressive, dealing with either Revs or PK'ers or the cost of supplies is worth an extra couple of thousand Xp per hour.

Equipment: Rune Pickaxe, brown apron

Method (1): powermining Gold

Results (1): 16250 60 mins, W17 w/800-900 people

Method (2): powermining Gold and Silver

Results (2): 22160 60 mins, w17 w/800-900 people

In the first method I mined just the Gold and in the second I also mined Silver while waiting for the Gold to respawn. I started out on a fuller world but there was too much competition. I definitely recommend mining Gold on an emptier world.

Zapps, I should have rates for banking Gold (both running and using the Explorer's Ring) by the end of the weekend. Also, I've been working on getting powermining rates from the Skeleton Mine, but it's too close to the Wilderness ditch to do on a PvP world and I keep getting attacked by Revs on regular worlds. I can't see it being much different than the Mining Guild though (except for not needing 60 Mining of course).

Great, thanks!

Was it really that hard to resist the pkers?

I don't think the powermining rates for coal at Skeleton Mine will be necessary, as you suggested. Thanks though.

Maybe I'm just bad at PK'ing (I'm a lover, not a fighter :lol:), maybe I've had a run of bad luck with the mine, maybe it's karmic retribution for all the Hobgoblins I killed while training combat. Who knows? For me, the small amount of extra Xp per hour isn't worth the hassle.

You don't actually fight the pkes, you just need to avoid them.

Method (1): Banking Gold using the Explorer's ring.

Equipment (1): Rune pickaxe, brown apron, Explorer's Ring 3

Results (1): 10920 60 mins, 168 ores, W152/700-800 people.

Started the timer at the bank in Draynor, made 6 complete runs and time ran out half-way back to the Guild. Stopped at the musician on each trip back to the Guild.

Method (2): Banking Gold running back and forth

Equipment (2): Rune pickaxe, brown apron

Results (2): 10660 60 mins, 164 ores, W152/700-800 people.

Once again, I started the timer at the bank in Draynor, made 5 complete runs and time ran out during the 6th one. Stopped at the musician every time I passed him.

I was actually quite surprised at the results of this. I thought that there would be a much larger difference between these two methods.

Did you teleport to Falador to bank? You can get more ores per hour if you do.