Welcome to my guide or whatever, hope I won't bore you too much:p

Table of contents

Introduction

Legend

Proof

Angles and reasoning

Conclusion

Introduction

This guide is for those that have considerable amount of experience in GOP. That is those that understand angles, and more or less know how to coord. o_O (I got told to learn more about coord a while ago :’( )

As most more capable players in GOP know, since the update to RT5, the angles from the east position on most altars have changed. Examples being “corner trick for orbs behind pillars” not working, and no need for “orb-altar-orb” for east position. This guide isn’t about angles and tricks which some “pros” pride themselves on, for angles and tricks, please refer to pinny's guide: Great Orb Project: The Attract Wand. I only worked on the basic angles, and focused on knowing when to use the new or old angles. Hopefully after reading this guide, you will be able to remember a general “formula” for new angles that applies to all sides of the altar, but not side specific angles. :D/

There has been endless debates on the consistency of the angles.

What I am proposing now is yet another theory of angles….I call it the Law of WW :o

Weird west :D

The main idea is that there is no correlation between the way of fetching an orb and the orb position relative to the altar. What matters is the orb position in relation to the player (you) – is it on your east side or west side? If it’s on the east side, old angles are used, while new angles are used for west side orbs.

Legend:

Ruby (red dot) : cant be reached unless you move out of position.

Emerald (green dot) : orb starting position and can be attracted without movement.

Sapphire (blue dot) : only used as square counter :o

Player (Me! >;o) : where the character is attracting from.

Proof:

2demoeastofdivide1.png

3demoeastofdivide2.png

This is on the east side of the mind altar if you haven’t recognized already.

While the above “angle” is utterly useless, it was only done to show that when orbs are east of the altar, but west of the player, new angles apply.

4necornerton.png

Another proof of some kind, the orb can be on the eastern side of the altar, however the “old angle” where you can attract from the “ruby square” cannot be performed.

Angles:

5ecentral.png

From the east position, you can get (and score) orbs 2 or 3 squares behind the pillars with just one click, but not those directly behind the pillar (ruby square).

6wtonwpillar.png

On the west side of altar, orbs that are on the emerald squares can be attracted to be between the arches from where I am positioned, which is a new angle. I hope that it’s obvious enough that the orb is west of you, implying new angles were to be used.

7ncentral.png

At east, the orb is east side of the player, so old angles apply and only the orb within two squares (emerald squares) of the pillar can be taken – using the old orb altar orb method.

On the west side, the orb is west side of the player, so new angles apply and only orbs two or three squares off the pillar can be attracted with one click only.

For orbs one square outside the arches:

8etonsbetweenpillars.png

Works fine when the orb is north or south of altar from east position because orb is west of the player.

9ntoewbetweenpillars.png10stoewbetweenpillars.png

Only works on the west orbs when you’re in north or south position.

Sapphires were used only for easier square counting.

11ntonepillar.png

12necornertonepillar.png

When the orb is in the same position, it works in the upper picture (orb is east of player), while in the lower picture, it doesn’t work (orb is west of player).

When orb is south/north of the pillars:

13stosepillar1.png

In this case, the orb is east of the player, so old angles will have to be used.

i.e. attracting from my position so the orb falls into one of the two squares in the following picture.

14stosepillar2.png

And then the old tapping :x

15stoswpillar.png

For orbs in green squares in this picture, they’re west of the player, so new angles apply, i.e. walking to the position I’m in and the orb moves between the arches with one click!

Conclusion: o_O

Do I need one?

Hm…

In short, new angles always work when orbs are west of the player.

For some people maybe just this sentence was enough to understand everything…sorry to those that think I wasted their time :’(

Thanks for reading, comments and feedback needed pl000x!! Anything I missed or should add...?

Me wants feedback for improvements >.>

Credits:

5743 – helping me with screenies

Saffy 5 – discussing the angles after we tried them out.

Rancorousj – most of my discussions were with him.. oh and…coming up with the name :o

50 50 games – providing a platform for me to try angles.

And all those that helped me on my way gopping :o

That's interesting. I've never actually noticed the difference between new and old angles before.

Thanks for the guide!

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Haiiii Andy!

You could maybe also point out (Vorltex said it made sense to him more this way) that the orbs' behaviour when the player is standing east basically added +1 square attract range.

A good guide, you get an A!

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

thx all ^_^

War~

(given ur comment, I'll have to thank myself o_O)

SSaffy5~

Don't remember all the angles I did, I only did those angles to try to explain the idea that the orb position affect whether new or old angles are use. I would rather you remember the general rule rather than the side specific angles.

Bio/Pinny~

Would shifting the attract range 1 square outwards be more appropriate? Since you can't get the orbs right behind pillars.

Thank you all <3