Point and Shoot Camera

Deathmath

Basically, I want a point and shoot camera with decent quality, a decent number of settings, and decent battery life. Basically a sub $200 camera, preferably sub 150 that I could use for taking pictures of stuff on vacations and stuff with friends. (no DSLR) Oh, and at least 3x optical zoom and the ability to take low quality videos :)

I've been looking at the Canon quickshots, but brand doesn't matter too much to me. There are so many brands/cameras I'm overwhelmed. Can anybody help?

Also feel free to tell me if I need to give more information.

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

The most common quick shot cameras I see is Sony cybershot and Fujifilm. Both brands have a lithium ion (?) battery so you don't have to buy batteries for it and they range from $150-300. I have a Sony cybershot which was around $250 and 10.2 megapixel which has fairly good quality. It also has a load of functions and various quality modes like wide angle- high quality mode for viewing on HD tv's which is pretty good. The best brand out there apparently is canon so those three brands is where you should look because they have the most camera types on the go.

Dart.jpg

I use a Kodak Easyshare Z915 and I love it. 10x zoom, 10megapixel, image stabilising (so you can get sport shots easier and it reduces camera shake. There is a sports mode, too). On Manual you can change the exposure length (from 1/1000th of a second to 16 seconds), f-stop (3.5 to 8.3), ISO (100 to 1600) and you can also add brightness/contrast. It also has great video, better than our family camcorder and you can also zoom in whilst filming which I found isn't possible with alot of the cameras I found when I was shopping for one. Battery power has seemed fine to me so far, don't know how long it lasts, but definitely long enough for me, and I also love how it looks :P. But ofcourse, it's all up to you. Make sure you check out reviews on every website you find :) and if you take photography check with your teacher to see what he/she thinks.