A �magical cavern� as a replacement for Uri clues.

Hyldrick

Intro: I really like clues. All three levels of them. Clues are fun, clues are a good break for the usual training root, and finally clues are a very good way for gaining items and money. However, there is one type of a clue I strongly resent the Uri emote clue. In this thread, Ill try to explain why I dislike that kind, What are the legit goals that (up to my opinion) caused jagex to create it, and how can all those goals be achieved via another, more challenging and fitting method.

part I: What is annoying with the Uri clues?

A. The main drawback, Is either you fill your back with junk items (I got more of 30 Items without any reason to keep them but Uri), Or buy/create that junk again and again. Its really an annoying and pointless headache. Especially with items that are not player made but bought for few dimes at shops (especially gnome clothing).

B. The concept itself, with all due respect (And I do respect you, jagex you are doing great as a rule), Is annoying and too childish. Some of the more grown players could find it a bit pointless, to be forced playing a kindergarten-fashioned Simone says. The pseudo-espionage chit-chat doesnt sound that good either, and it doesnt really fit to the Runescape world (One thing is making a one-time jock about KGP, thats fine, but forcing players through im the egg-man multiple times, its really a bit too much.

Part II: What are the motives behind that Kind of clues?

Thinking of what did drove Jagex into this kind of thing, I can see few possible reasons, most of them concerning game balance.

1. Similar to map and cord clues, some Uri clues require approach to certain restricted areas (means: certain quest must be completed to finish the clue).

2. Repeating demand for certain items may try to provide a way for some skillers to gain money from products that else wouldnt sell at all, or nearly wont sell (how many players will repeatedly but studded chaps out of their free will?)

But, up to my opinion that never did work. Very few players, if any, really make a living from selling iron helms and other low-cost items that can be easily made or bought from shops. Other items, like gnome clothing, are not player made at all. And if a more expensive items is needed like a glory amulet. 2h-addy sword or a rune warhammer, Ill probably just buy one, and keep hold on it.

3. The most important thing that jagex wanted to ensure, is making certain skill levels as a requirement for clues. This is made by the requirement to were certain items. This goes mainly to ranging, attack and defense, a bit of magic, and so on. Level 1 clues demands 20, level 2 requires 40, and level 3 can get high as 50 (as an everage).

Part III: My magic cavern suggestion

My suggestion is to replace Uri clues with magical cavern clues. The cavern will spawn at or near the same places where the current Uri clues lead now That do cover the A reason for uri.

Though I personally resent it, If Jagex finds the doing an emote is so crucial, then standing at the right location and making a chosen emote will trigger the cavern to spawn and teleport the player inside, the same way random events do now.

Now, inside the cave will be a task or challenge, requiring a skill or a combination of skills, in the fitting level for the clues rank (20/40/50 or anything else jagex will decide fitting). Moreover, this way, nearly any skill could be required, not only combat skills. Here are a few examples.

1. Mining: thats fairly simple: a blocking rock that requires 20, 40 or 50 mining to get through.

2. Woodcutting/Firemaking: similar to abyss obstacles roots for chopping/igniting, or dung heaps to ignite.

4. Range: A lever must be shot from a distance, requires the fitting range level. A magical version can be also created with protecting aura that must be negated via certain spells or fitting magic level.

5. Slayer: a slayer monster roams the cave, and it must be killed to drop the key for the chest with the next clue. The slayer level to kill it is the usual 20/40/50 or everything else Jagex desires.

6. Fishing: the key must fished from a nearby stream or pool.

7. runecrafting: A glowing huge shard grows at the middle of the cave, and you must imbue it with runic power to get a small key-shard from it.

8. Hunter: similar to slayer a hunting beast mush be captured, and It drops the key to the locked chest.

9. agility: quite obivious a ledge, pipe or climbing stones must be crossed.

10. Defense/strength: The player must cross an passage with falling rock. A certain level of defense or strength is required to hold a shield and use it as a cover to repel the rocks.

An the list goes on As for items that could be needed for those tasks, like a pickaxe for mining, slayer items for slayer, runes for magic or so, this could be done in 2 different ways: either the clue itself will hint (like, having the skill symbol on it), or a spawn will be available within the cave itself, and any item taken from it will vanish the minute you go out the cave (as it is done with some minigames). But even if we need to supply those items ourselves, Those are common items that players intend to store at the bank anyway (runes, slayer items, etc). Unlike Uri clues, the only thing that matters is your own mining level (for example). If you need 21 mining, you will could still use rune pickaxe, you wont have to buy an absolute mithril pick just for the clue.

This is my suggestion. I really think it will provide the same game-balancing interests that caused the creation of Uri, but in much more interesting way, without Uris annoying sides.

Those, at least, were my two cents :-)

I dislike.

Clue involve exploring the world for hidden treasure, not going through some mini-game/quest like cavern that is not accessible at any other time.

There nothing wrong with Uri, so what you have to wear a few random items? They are all easily gotten.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

You dont need Uri to explore the world. For that there are cords and map clues.

Uri is made for one main reason - to force training certain skill levels. No need for all the higgeldy-piggeldy hassle in the way.

How does forced trips to the grand exchange/shops help to explore the world? How does "simon says" helps?

And does Uri himself (or the zammy/sara wizrards) excessible in other times? No. The cave is just a place for a quick check for certain skill level, nothing else.

I still dislike it.

Theres a difference between randomly spawned npcs on the way to retrieve buried treasure and a random magical cavern.

Uri isn't about skill levels or anything, it is simply about having a different type of clue.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Honestly, this isn't what's wrong with the clues. I'm all for the addition of new challenges, and this might be a really good candidate, but what we need to sort out is the rewards. I'd do a really frustrating and complicated clue as long as I know that I'll be rewarded at least reasonably. A rune dagger, a magic longbow and a few runes just doesn't match the effort.

If dealing with the gnomish robes and stuff is so annoying, how about a construction room called the 'Gallery', an extension of the Costume Room, that stores/displays all of this stuff?

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I agree with Will Holmes, there are bigger problems with clues right now than your bank being a messy from Uri's Emote clues. Although I suppose it's a little inconvenient, I wouldn't mind the change.

I won't deny that rewards could be better (though there is a partial match between the clue's difficulty and the reward). Getting a lousy reward after running 3 or 4 times to deep wildy + elven zones etc, is frustrating - but at leasts it donk stink in my bank.

Even though I agree with both ideas - better/changing reward-difficulty system and adding a new room (there are many possible ideas for new rooms of all kinds, tbh, some much more usefull then games room for example), those are other suggestion topics. The problem with Uri (chidish, useless, simon says in no challange if we are older then 5) Is completely other topic.

I won't deny that rewards could be better (though there is a partial match between the clue's difficulty and the reward). Getting a lousy reward after running 3 or 4 times to deep wildy + elven zones etc, is frustrating - but at leasts it donk stink in my bank.

Even though I agree with both ideas - better/changing reward-difficulty system and adding a new room (there are many possible ideas for new rooms of all kinds, tbh, some much more usefull then games room for example), those are other suggestion topics. The problem with Uri (chidish, useless, simon says in no challange if we are older then 5) Is completely other topic.

I don't do that many clues, but my bank has slowly fallen apart anyway, so we're dealing with something bigger. The bank interface, while good in principle, still gradually descends into chaos with nearly every activity, not just Uri clues, so we could try to deal with that instead. A very large topic floating around here suggested the ability to 'lock' items and form place-holders, and automatically move items to where they were if they are removed and replaced. Almost all suggestions are there to solve problems, as opposed to standalone content. In this case, my suggestions are trying to solve this particular problem, and help with other things along the way.

~ W ~

sigzi.png