In need of an efficiency junkie

muggiwhplar

Normally I can calculate these things on my own but I'm perplexing myself over what should be a moderately simple calculation.

Basically I'm working on getting 86 smithing for the Ardy achievement diary-- I'm smithing mith plates currently. My question is-- at what point during this weekend is it more cost/time-efficient for me to use clay hammers instead of the bonus weekend? I only play "normal" SC games and get 24 points per game, but since each game is 20 minutes and there's a 2 minute waiting period between games, let's make things easier and assume I can only get 3 clay hammers per hour.

I'm currently at 1.7x exp, wondering if it would be wise to continue or if I should switch to a different skill to train for the remainder of the weekend.

77yLQy8.png

I've done some calculations on this, and it solely depends on how much money you make per hour, and how how much money you value your time at per hour. I'm going to class right now, so if you reply, I won't respond for a while, but if I get back and it hasn't been answered, I can help out.

codguy.png

Codguy.png

let me get this straight, you want to know if you should wait til bonus week to end to smith mithril platebodies or just smith some now?

anywhoo

assumptions:

22 gp/xp to smith mithril platebodies during bonus week (ignoring the bonus)

20 gp/xp to smith mithril platebodies after bonus week due to prices falling (10 gp/xp once you factor in SC hammers)

lets say normally you can smith 800 platebodies per hour

bonus week:

so 800 * 250 * 1.7 = 340k xp/hour, at a cost of 800 * 250 * 22 = 4400k gp in that hour

SC tools:

800 platebodies per hour = 4.5 seconds a platebody

3600 seconds/(3 sc tools * 64125 xp/sc tool) * 500 xp per platebody = additional 9.36 seconds per platebody

4.5 + 9.36 = 13.86 seconds per platebody, or 260 platebodies per hour

260 * 250 * 2 = 130k xp hour at 260 * 250 * 20 gp/xp = 1300k gp in that hour

bonus week @ 1.7x: [4400k + 1000k (income)]/340k = 15.88 gp/xp efficiency ratio

bonus week @ 1.6x: [4400k + 1000k (income)]/320k = 16.88 gp/xp ratio

bonus week @ 1.5x: 5400k/300k = 18 gp/xp ratio

SC tools: [1300k + 1000k(income)]/130k = 17.79 gp/xp ratio

Result:

smith mithril platebodies during bonus week until ur multiplier hits 1.5x, then stop.

Naaxi.png

let me get this straight, you want to know if you should wait til bonus week to end to smith mithril platebodies or just smith some now?

anywhoo

assumptions:

22 gp/xp to smith mithril platebodies during bonus week (ignoring the bonus)

20 gp/xp to smith mithril platebodies after bonus week due to prices falling (10 gp/xp once you factor in SC hammers)

lets say normally you can smith 800 platebodies per hour

bonus week:

so 800 * 250 * 1.7 = 340k xp/hour, at a cost of 800 * 250 * 22 = 4400k gp in that hour

SC tools:

800 platebodies per hour = 4.5 seconds a platebody

3600 seconds/(3 sc tools * 64125 xp/sc tool) * 500 xp per platebody = additional 9.36 seconds per platebody

4.5 + 9.36 = 13.86 seconds per platebody, or 260 platebodies per hour

260 * 250 * 2 = 130k xp hour at 260 * 250 * 20 gp/xp = 1300k gp in that hour

bonus week @ 1.7x: [4400k + 1000k (income)]/340k = 15.88 gp/xp efficiency ratio

bonus week @ 1.6x: [4400k + 1000k (income)]/320k = 16.88 gp/xp ratio

bonus week @ 1.5x: 5400k/300k = 18 gp/xp ratio

SC tools: [1300k + 1000k(income)]/130k = 17.79 gp/xp ratio

Result:

smith mithril platebodies during bonus week until ur multiplier hits 1.5x, then stop.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it! Looks like I've got about 45 minutes of smithing left to do... then off to blackjacking

77yLQy8.png

Dang, I got beaten to it before I could make it back.

Also, if you don't like SC, then you can take that into the matter. Such that losing a bit extra gp/xp will still be worth it as long as you're not playing SC. However, it all depends on what you prefer. Personally, I'd choose to lose a little extra money as long as I wasn't playing SC, but still at the point that 1.1x multiplier isn't enough of a xp bonus to smith without SC. But in terms of efficiency with gp/xp, Morionic is completely correct.

codguy.png

Codguy.png

Here's how I would approach it.

Let's say, for simplicity's sake, that smithing normally yields 150k xp/hr (no SC hammers, no bonus xp). Since hammers and bonus xp both halve the overall cost, that aspect can be ignored and we can focus on time.

1 hammer = 60k smith xp, so 3 hammers = 180k smith xp. In other words, you'd get 1.2x overall xp with SC hammers. So until the bonus xp is below 1.2x, it is better than SC hammers.

Of course, 150k xp/hr was a made-up number. So to find the real "critical point":

real xp/hr / 180k

That'll give you a number that's equivalent to the overall xp bonus of using SC hammers.

I was under the assumption that during the weekend all items like that wont be giving their normal double exp, even though you're under the 2.0 multiplier. I recall that Paw Claw said it about the gold smithing gauntlets in another topic on H&A .

[hide=Drops]Slayer:Draconic Visage x3, Abyssal Whip x23, Dark Bow x3, Dragon Platelegs x3, Dragon Boots x40, Dragon Plateskirt x4, Shield Left Half x3, Dragon Medium Helms x10

GWD:

CS: Zamorakian Spear x2, Zamorak Hilt x1, Bandos Chestplate x1, Sara Sword x1

DKs: Dragon Hatchet x3 Beserker Ring x1[/hide]

[hide=Completed Goals]99Attack.pngAchieved April 26, 200999Defence.pngAchieved Sept. 15, 200999Hitpoints.pngAchieved Nov. 21, 200999Strength.png Jan. 10, 2010

99Slayer.png Achieved Mar. 5, 2010[/hide]

[hide=Goals]c1dfeeb1d3.pngCptBaker.pngCptBaker.png[/hide]

I was under the assumption that during the weekend all items like that wont be giving their normal double exp, even though you're under the 2.0 multiplier. I recall that Paw Claw said it about the gold smithing gauntlets in another topic on H&A .

This.

Can I use my clay items, Penance horn, brawling gloves, etc, to add to my bonus XP?

These items will not work during the weekend as the effects of the bonus XP weekend will override any other items or areas that enhance XP rates. The item will not degrade when used during the bonus XP weekend. This includes clay items, Penance horns, brawling gloves, flame gloves/ring of fire, Fishing/Runecrafting/dragon slayer gloves and POH altars.

Paragon.png

That's why its a comparison between the two.

That's why its a comparison between the two.

Ok I was reading some of the words wrong and using them in a different context. But i understand it now.

Was reading it as when to use the hammers this weekend, instead of when to not smith anymore.

[hide=Drops]Slayer:Draconic Visage x3, Abyssal Whip x23, Dark Bow x3, Dragon Platelegs x3, Dragon Boots x40, Dragon Plateskirt x4, Shield Left Half x3, Dragon Medium Helms x10

GWD:

CS: Zamorakian Spear x2, Zamorak Hilt x1, Bandos Chestplate x1, Sara Sword x1

DKs: Dragon Hatchet x3 Beserker Ring x1[/hide]

[hide=Completed Goals]99Attack.pngAchieved April 26, 200999Defence.pngAchieved Sept. 15, 200999Hitpoints.pngAchieved Nov. 21, 200999Strength.png Jan. 10, 2010

99Slayer.png Achieved Mar. 5, 2010[/hide]

[hide=Goals]c1dfeeb1d3.pngCptBaker.pngCptBaker.png[/hide]