Metal Dragon Hunting

In both the iron/steel dragon guide, and in the mithril dragon guide, the recommended weapon is either the Abyssal Whip or Leaf-Bladed Sword.

Quote from mithril dragon guide:

Mithril dragons, like all metal dragons, are weak to stab attacks, that's why a Leaf-bladed sword is suggested, as it is the best single handed stab weapon. Use a Slayer helmet or a Black mask if you've been assigned them as a slayer task.

This information is out of date since the release of dungeoneering. The chaotic rapier now beats the leaf-bladed sword in stab attack bonus 94 to 67. The chaotic longsword has an even higher stab bonus (although it has a lower speed) and beats the leaf-bladed sword 107 to 67.

Tonguetamer3.png

Runescape: Winter 2002/2003 - May 2011

I realize chaotic weapons would not be what most people would use, and I think that leaf-bladed sword and whip should still be in the guide. It really comes down to where we draw the line of practicality. Obviously Vesta's Longsword has a higher stab attack bonus than leaf-bladed sword, but it would be highly impractical to use hunting metal dragons. I think chaotic weapons aren't so ridiculous as to not mention them, especially since they will probably only become more and more prevalent.

Tonguetamer3.png

I think we will eventually add in Chaotic weaponry to our Monster/Combat based guides, but for the time being we'll leave it because not many people actually have them. Also those who do have them know too well the power capabilities that they have, so for now I'll leave this open up for discussion.

Popoto.~<3

The problem I could see is that the set of weaponry that is the best in the game would always be the ideal set-up and those sections would no longer be needed in guides if you just made a blanket statement like "Chaotic weaponry should always be used", but I feel that the only armour and weaponry listed in guides should meet some criteria. What those criteria are might be different in different cases, but the crew could debate them on that case-by-case basis. If you're strong enough to take on metal dragons, you should have the kind of access to the game that allows you certain weapons. It should be what does the most people the most good, so telling everyone to run out and get high level gear doesn't make much sense to me.

In fact, as I mentioned previously to crew, I think set-up guides should always be MINIMUM requirements, because obviously, they're always going to make newer and more powerful weapons. If you have one of those, you probably know about it. I don't use rune armour anymore, but if I see it in a guide, I automatically know that my dragon chainbody is going to be better. If I see some good magic gear and I have access to barrows, I know I'm good with the barrows gear. Telling people what is the lowest gear recommended (not what they HAVE to wear, but what is the lowest recommendation) provides an easy out for any idiots saying "I did it with bronze armour" because all you have to point to is the word recommended. Tip.It already recommends certain gear, tactics, etc...coming right out and saying it is the point of a guide, in my opinion.

[hide=My Stats]Attack:86/Hitpoints:88/Mining:74

Strength:86/Agility:76/Smithing:75

Defence:86/Herblore:74/Fishing:78

Ranged:86/Thieving:73/Cooking:92

Prayer:78/Crafting:82/Firemaking:86

Magic:85/Fletching:77/Woodcutting:88

Runecraft:71/Slayer:80/Farming:88

Construction:70/Hunter:70/Summoning:69

Dungeoneering:18

Total level: 1936

295/303 Quest Points

Combat Level: 117[/hide]

[hide=Interesting Links]My Blog

SportsGuy's Short Guide to Ghostly Warriors

Familiarisation Reward Research[/hide]

You make a very good point SportGuy, and I've got to say, I agree with you about the whole minimum recommended theory. The recommended minimum should always be included in a guide, especially since people using the guide are likely to have the lower levels of recommended gear (not always, some guides are always helpful for a refresher, no matter your gear or levels).

The only reason I suggested adding chaotic weaponry to the guide is because many guides also include the optimal gear setup. A lot of guides, such as GWD guides, have tiers of suggested gear, in the format of Abyssal Whip > Dragon Scimitar > Rune Scimitar. While people with access to chaotic weaponry will know its power, there may be someone out there who never even considered getting it, but now sees it in a guide and thinks, "Maybe I should try to get that some day if it's really the best option out there."

I'm not saying that I demand these weapons be put in the guides right away. Right now not a lot of people have them, and it is a huge time investment to get one, and a time investment someone who is already busy doing slayer or something else is not going to want to make. If they aren't added as of now, I completely understand the reasoning.

Tonguetamer3.png

You make a very good point SportGuy, and I've got to say, I agree with you about the whole minimum recommended theory. The recommended minimum should always be included in a guide, especially since people using the guide are likely to have the lower levels of recommended gear (not always, some guides are always helpful for a refresher, no matter your gear or levels).

The only reason I suggested adding chaotic weaponry to the guide is because many guides also include the optimal gear setup. A lot of guides, such as GWD guides, have tiers of suggested gear, in the format of Abyssal Whip > Dragon Scimitar > Rune Scimitar. While people with access to chaotic weaponry will know its power, there may be someone out there who never even considered getting it, but now sees it in a guide and thinks, "Maybe I should try to get that some day if it's really the best option out there."

I'm not saying that I demand these weapons be put in the guides right away. Right now not a lot of people have them, and it is a huge time investment to get one, and a time investment someone who is already busy doing slayer or something else is not going to want to make. If they aren't added as of now, I completely understand the reasoning.

I definitely see your point. As the guides exist, they're recommending gear set-ups, but they're pretty standard. I do like the specifics, because just saying "use prayer boosting gear" or something isn't especially helpful, but when you're specific, I think there should be a short description of why you're using that gear.

It appears that the chaotic weaponry is the best available stuff out there, but I'm not going to waste my time earning it. I'm also not going to waste my cash on barrows gear...you know? There are at least two types of players - and I'm not a PvP that 'farms' cash kind of player.

Anyway, I think ALL the guides should be overhauled with minimums. If not, then they'd have to put in something about those weapons like you suggested or then be okay with all the inconsistencies.

[hide=My Stats]Attack:86/Hitpoints:88/Mining:74

Strength:86/Agility:76/Smithing:75

Defence:86/Herblore:74/Fishing:78

Ranged:86/Thieving:73/Cooking:92

Prayer:78/Crafting:82/Firemaking:86

Magic:85/Fletching:77/Woodcutting:88

Runecraft:71/Slayer:80/Farming:88

Construction:70/Hunter:70/Summoning:69

Dungeoneering:18

Total level: 1936

295/303 Quest Points

Combat Level: 117[/hide]