Haven and Hearth

The Dark Lord

species-spotlight-grizzly-bear-brown-mouth-open-black-nose-attacking-growling-biting-photo.jpg

"Holy [cabbage]...it's a bear!"

"Haven & Hearth is a MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game) set in a fictional world loosely inspired by Slavic and Germanic myth and legend. The game sets itself apart from other games in the genre in its aim to provide players with an interactive, affectable and mutable game world, which can be permanently and fundamentally changed and affected through actions undertaken by the players. Our fundamental goal with Haven & Hearth is to create a game in which player choices have permanent and/or lasting effects and, thus, providing said players with a meaningful and fun gaming experience.

Players start the game surrounded by a vast and somewhat unforgiving wilderness, with only the most basic tools of survival at their disposal. The use of fire is a thematic focal point of the game's mythos, and an early and important task will be the simple lighting of one. As the first hearth fires disperse the darkness of the surrounding wilderness, more pressing questions will present themselves to the players: Who are they? Where are they? And, most importantly, where are they going? From this point on, players will have to blaze trails of their own into the unknown, the wilderness and the future, and explore and affect the world of Haven & Hearth using only their own best judgment and a chipped stone axe. Trust us, the stone axe is the [cabbage].

As players progress, they will be able to acquire new skills and abilities, allowing them to perform a variety of tasks—such as the claiming of land, the construction of buildings and the cultivation of crops—each step forward making the basic task of survival somewhat easier. Having progressed far enough, players will, in time, be able to organize themselves into societies, from simple tribes and villages, progressing through republics, nation states and, ultimately, empires.

At least, those are our lofty ambitions." (Seatribe)

Haven and Hearth is an online MMORPG that lacks rules and intervention (on the most part) from the devs. You spawn in the wilderness and must survive. You can hook up with other players and form small settlements that may eventually become villages and then thriving empires. Death is tragic because you will lose your character forever (but you can easily create another one with the same account after you log in).

There is unlimited PvP and no "safe zones", so there is always danger and you can never fully trust that nice stranger you may meet from time to time. The learning curve isn't too hard, and leveling is relatively easy once you get the hang of it.

However, don't let the unlimited PvP scare you into not playing. Due to the nature of death, game politics have taken a more interesting form compared to other games. People form alliances and protect each other, and justice is almost always served. So if someone robs you or kills your friend, someone (like a higher level) is usually willing to kill the criminal for fun. Likewise, there is an interesting in-game market, where trades can be arranged on the forums or on IRC. Trades usually take place in Constantinople or Buyan, both of which are in-game cities (completely player built!)

There are several skills to choose from, and specialization is encouraged for communities of players so that one person has a certain job, etc. There are no skill caps (which is in the form of 'item quality'), so the game never truly ends.

One word of advice, though. If you see a player wearing a golden helmet and purple robe, run like hell.

http://www.havenandhearth.com/

EDIT: Oh yeah, did I mention that the world was HUGE? I mean, it's really huge. It takes about 10 hours to travel from one end to the other.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Wow, sounds awesome! Truly, this is the kind of game that is fun to just look at and see how the community comes up with new "social rules", and how people react when other players break them.

Trying it out at the moment.

16185_s.gif

I'll try it, looks fun.

Question through, the applicant you recieve from trying to download appears stuck for me, it has been that way for about 10 minutes. Anyone know what I should do? Also it would be interesting if we formed a TIF alliance and see how far we last.

EDIT: I got it to work. No help needed. :grin:

vizardsig-1.png

If you made a tip.it village, try to build it on a mudflat or grassland so you don't have to plow land before paving with stone.

Likewise, try to get the Masonry skill and use the mudflat to bake clay into bricks and then make a brick wall. This is one of the things you need to do first since there are a lot of people that can break wooden walls (palisades) with their own hands, without a ram.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask on the forums because there are lots of cool people that can give you advice. You can also ask me for advice once you guys get organized. I'm a 'veteran' player and know quite a bit about the game. However, I am afraid that I can't join the village because I have obligations to serve at one of my friend's camp that we made.

Also, you can spawn at hearth fires by making a hearth secret (try to make it hard to guess) and then sharing it with anyone that is interesting in joining the tip.it village.

Just get that wall up FAST but keep the village a reasonable size so that you can have plenty of room to grow. Also try to get a village idol up ASAP (requires Lawspeaking skill) because I know a glitch that allows me to get inside a place (even with a brick wall) without using a ram to break part of the wall down.

Hell, if plenty of people are interested, I might set up a village idol at a certain location that's really nice and let you guys take care of it. It doesn't have a brick wall, though. Just a palisade.

SWAG

Thanks. Also perhaps if you could, maybe some starter tips. I am having slight trouble starting out, unsure for what to do. I managed to construct a stone axe through. If not I'll slowly figure it out on my own. I also have no clue how to eat food. :unsure:

vizardsig-1.png

I highly suggest getting woodcutting first. You gain LP (learning points) from almost anything you do. If you are in the middle of the forest, I suggest gathering branches from a tree and building a couple of baskets with em. Once you have 200 LP, buy woodcutting.

The sour dough of the epitmous pie hungers for another's sweet lips to be dulled into a state of most irreverant humbleness

TUBULAR BELLS!

Here's a list of tips:

-Make stone axes until 200 LP, then buy lumberjacking

-Buy Carpentry, Will to Power, Hearth magic, Plant Lore, and Farming next.

-Save up the 4k LP and buy Yeomanry (crucial if you wanna prevent your stuff being robbed)

-Build a log cabin and surround it with a moderate sized fence (to keep animals out)

-Buy Foraging and try to up perception and exploration (Perception is raised through eating carrots and plaice) and then look for wild windsown weeds and hang them on a drying rack to get seeds for farming

-DO NOT BUY SWIMMING. You WILL die in a matter of seconds from drowning. I wouldn't buy swimming, and I have 400 CON.

-Build that brick wall when you can.

-Use Yeomanry to stake a personal claim (needs LP to expand)

-Get Lawspeaking and then save up 30k LP and make a village claim*

That's all I can think of for now. Don't let this seem like it's overly complicated because it really isn't, and you'll get the hang of things really quickly. If you get Knocked Out, just quickly spam the "Teleport to Hearth" button so you can teleport to safety before getting killed.

*If I know where you are living or whatever, I can set up a village claim for you.

With that said, are there any villages close to you, and what are their names?

SWAG

Thanks for the tips. It is actually fun now that I know what to do. :razz: I haven't explored much, ended up next to a forest near my Hearth Fire. Haven't seen any settlements of a sort.

What exactly do you do to heal? Simply wait?

vizardsig-1.png

Thanks for the tips. It is actually fun now that I know what to do. :razz: I haven't explored much, ended up next to a forest near my Hearth Fire. Haven't seen any settlements of a sort.

What exactly do you do to heal? Simply wait?

Sit in a swamp with some empty equipment slots and eventually leeches will get on you. These take away soft hp (regenerates automatically if you aren't starving), and adds a little hard hp (this is crucial to have). Other than that you can use a gauze, which requires a loom and wool. Those heal much better but require a little more work.

The sour dough of the epitmous pie hungers for another's sweet lips to be dulled into a state of most irreverant humbleness

TUBULAR BELLS!

Uhh, so I got it to work, but I still don't figure out how construction sites work.

I'm trying to build a fire, I have the survival skill on level 2, and I have 5 branches. Am I supposed to drop them on the ground and construct over them? or what?

16185_s.gif

First off you want to select building the fire from the "adventure" tab. Once you do that, place the build site where you want it. Once it is placed, a little menu should open up. When you are building, there are 3 different areas with numbers. The first section is how many of the certain item it requires, the second section is the quantity of the item added in the site, and the 3rd section is the quantity of items that have been permanently added in the site. To add an item in, you can either drag it from your inventory to the construction UI, or just shift+left click on the item you want added in (with the construction UI open of course).

TUBULAR BELLS!

You can hit SHIFT+ scroll with mouse wheel to quickly add materials to a construction site. Of course, this is assuming you have the latest version of Gilbertus' client plus the update patch from Pacho.

These can be found under the Critique and Ideas section of H&H forums. Download the 64-bit ZIP from Pacho's thread (stickied under IRC capable client), then go to Gilbertus' thread and click his link to download a haven.jar file. Then extract the files from Pacho's ZIP file to a folder on your desktop or whatever and then replace his haven.jar file with the haven.jar from Gilbertus. This should give you the modified client that has x-ray vision, mapping capabilities, multiple hotbars, and other game breaking [cabbage] that the major clans used to have uniquely to them until Gilbertus made his client public.

This is if you want the custom client where you can make the screen bigger, etc. The custom client also has night vision (so you can easily see in the dark as if it were day time). It's your choice, though. Personally, I use the custom client.

SWAG

Bump.

I played a bit more of it, ran out of food. Can't find anything to hunt, I'm at the red bar now for hunger and it is getting low :/ Any quick ways for me to get food?

With the foraging skill, you can find wild berries and taproots and eat them in order to fill up a small amount of hunger. The best way (at your level) is to get the hunting skill, find chickens or rabbits, walk up til your character is touching them, then right click while having settings on Sprint really quickly. This will give you their icon in your inventory. Just right click -> Wring Neck -> Butcher and roast them on a fire. Eating them raw will lower your HHP.

Alternatively you can buy the fishing skill and find some water along a river where fish are jumping in and out of the water, and then fish (needs a fishing rod, lure, and some bait).

Since you can't fight boars/foxes for intestines yet, you can use leeches (found by walking into swamps and pulling them off your body via equipment screen). Open equipment screen (with rod equipped) and then click the leech/intestine icon in inventory and right click over the rod's icon to put the bait on it.

Swimming skill not required, so don't buy it. Ever.

If you still need help, I can probably arrange something.

SWAG

This is like my dream mmorpg v. 0.2.

I've thought that the solution to get rid of grinding in mmorpgs is permanent death, permanent death however creates a bundle of new problems. My theorized solutions were: ability to have more than one character (losing one doesn't hurt so much), turn based combat (hexagonal map tiles, easier to control multiple characters), no NPC monster spawns after server goes up (to make grinding even more impossible), when you level up you can assign combat points (no grinding doesn't have to mean no character development).

I'll definitely try this out. It looks a bit crude and I doubt how well it can keep the player's interest, but the game mechanics look new and interesting, and will make the community work differently than in other mmorpgs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bump.

http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12958&sid=dfc12fb394999b078bf9adc5f1f97514

Epic battle that my village was involved in.

Anyway, I've been hunting craptons of LP and have been doing some PKing lately. Sadly not as much personal kills as I would have liked, but they were still pretty fun.

SWAG

• 2 weeks later...

Still playing, tracked for the first time last weekend and meeting a lot of new players in my area.

Died a month or so back because of my own stupidity, learned not to trust anyone.

For people that don't quite get the idea of H&H, read this:

http://blog.gamerdna.com/blog/2007/03/27/the-dynamic-world-mmorpg-20/

• 2 weeks later...