Laptop help (hard drive related)

T-Roach

hey all

well in a nutshell:

2 month old laptop

windows 7 OS

asus aspire 5745G i5-450M, 2,4Ghz, 4GB ram

i think it's a hard drive problem

chkdsk starts during every boot, though i think there's an error that happens in which it stops reading the files and loops (though it does read a lot of the files and informs that some are not readable or can't be loaded)

what happens to my computer= if i cancel the chkdsk, computer might run laggy and programs don't respond)

so i could accurately state my problem is there a program or something i can use to scan the hard drive or something? maybe a hi jack this log?

might also be a virus? but not sure. AVG is showing nothing and spybot didn't find any malware..

will rep for helpl!

-some more info..

I had this same problem with my old pc' date=' when the pc turns over some of the programs didn't respond when i clicked on them, and it froze about a minute after firing it up, if it didn't freeze, it would go VERY slow, and NOTHING would load. if i clicked on say Firefox, nothing would happen, it wouldn't even start loading, and sometimes it would just shut down randomly.

this wasn't a virus, which is why ur scanner won't show anything. One of ur drivers is corrupt/not working correctly, unless u have a reinstall disk (where u wipe it clean and reinstall everything) ur options are limited to replacing the hard drive or just buying a new pc. thats #1

Number 2, its ur fan. if ur cooling fan is blocked or broken, the cpu over heats and freezes, and nothing loads. I replaced the fan on my pc, got it for 12 bucks on ebay and replaced it myself, and it worked, but i also had to replace the cpu as it was burned out.

so, if i were u, i'd check to see if the cooling fan is working, if yes, then u have a driver problem which COULD be fixed with a reinstall, or a new hard drive, or if u don't want to bother with any of those, just get a new pc.[/quote']

im strongly thinking about reformatting... but only after my final on next friday :D i think i can live until that. im thinking i do have the reinstall disk. Well i didn't get it with the computer but I think i burned it myself. i might be extremely wrong though.. i chose the "create a systemic repair disc" from the backup and restore options.. should i have chosen the "create a new, full backup" ?

or a windows reinstall disc? might have to download that somewhere..

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=590965713

Doctor of Dental Surgery-2014

Medical Doctor-2018?

Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon-2024?

Seems like some software problems or corrupt windows files. You could download a windows 7 repair disc (pirate, pm for link, its legal, but nobody thinks it is) or use your own disc if one were branded with the computer. But i guess a reinstall is better anyway as it makes the computer swift and fast again. And i highly recommend making a full disk backup after you have installed your preferred software. This can be done in the windows 7 backup software, a bit tricky to find the right mode, but ehh. It makes reinstalling another time painless ;-)

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

Aspire is from Acer, not Asus.

Why would you do a chkdsk? If it runs good without that, you can just wait and try to troubleshoot that problem after your final as you said you'd do. Misread.

How long do you let it run for?

Seems like some software problems or corrupt windows files. You could download a windows 7 repair disc (pirate, pm for link, its legal, but nobody thinks it is) or use your own disc if one were branded with the computer. But i guess a reinstall is better anyway as it makes the computer swift and fast again. And i highly recommend making a full disk backup after you have installed your preferred software. This can be done in the windows 7 backup software, a bit tricky to find the right mode, but ehh. It makes reinstalling another time painless ;-)

Aspire is from Acer, not Asus.

Why would you do a chkdsk? If it runs good without that, you can just wait and try to troubleshoot that problem after your final as you said you'd do. Misread.

How long do you let it run for?

aaa wow, i failed hard on that one :D i mean the acer and asus. fuuu!

anyway, i've let it run for the night twice (about 8-9hrs) and a few times for like 5-7hrs

the first time i ran it, it didn't freeze and when i got on the comp in the morning it was in the "log on" screen. the second time it started looping

Doctor of Dental Surgery-2014

Medical Doctor-2018?

Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon-2024?

How much important stuff do you have on it? It sounds a little extreme, but a full reformat seems like the easiest and most thorough option with the highest chance of success. Grab a disc by one of the methods above and reinstall W7.

I'd back up bare essentials and export favourites from browsers to make transitioning easier, but nothing else.