Monosyllabic Memoirs

Sinkhan

Just a little thing I wrote when I was bored and had some ideas while taking a shower. I wrote it like 4-5 months ago in a single 30 minute sitting and have been passing it around to friends and such. There are a lot things I could change, but as per my regular approach to writing I never came back to it to polish it up or rewrite sections I thought were weak since if I started doing so, I adjust it to the point of mangling the story.

Dawn

The moon. The whole land basks in its light, for the strength of the moon's light is not matched at night.

I know the truth. The moon's might is not its own, for it steals light from the sun. With no one to stand up to it, it holds its grasp over the land.

But it has been night for too long now. It is time for the sun to rise and take back the place that was stripped from it.

------------------------------------

March 10th

They've come! My heart has been filled with dread since I first caught wind of it, but I hoped that we would have had more time.

The king's men have stormed through all of the homes and I fear we are next. I could hear the faint screams from John's farm, cut short no doubt by the cruel brutes that serve that wretch of a king.

Why I must ask, why now? I've been told that it is fear that drives his need to spill so much blood. But what is it he fears so much?

Here I stand in the dark. The moon's light does not reach me here. I am on my own and in my right hand, I hold a key. It is not just a key to the chest in front of me, but one that will set the cogs in place to bring on what I seek.

May 1st

He's gone. He's now lost from this world. I try to hold back the tears that well up from my heart, but how can I when I have no one left now? I looked up to him as he looked out for me. How does one tell the world what is felt right now? I do not know what to think, but I must move on. As he passed, he gave me his last words. My mind hangs on each one; they bear a great weight on me.

But I've been now tasked with what I should do next. I must now look to the world to come.

Dear son,

You read this now for I feel the time is right. There have been things from our past that I have kept from you these years, but it has come to the point where I must tell you the truth.

We've lived a quaint life all these years, for the most part in peace. But as you and I tend the fields each morn, I can tell in your eyes that in some way you know that there is more to our lives.

In truth, you are the 5th in line to the throne. All this time I have trained you, worked you, and made you sweat was not just so you would be fit to plow fields, dig holes, and tend to cows, but so that you may one day have the strength to lift a sword, take charge of the land, and rise up and take your true place as king. I wish that I could have done more, but I know you will take the few things I have taught you and use them. We've few friends left in this world, but let me make it clear that our bonds are strong and the will to fight fills their soul. You do not know it now, but you were born to lead. It is in you. It flows from the top of your head right down to your toes.

I have left all that you will need in this chest. You have my faith and my love. I trust that you will take care of the rest.

My heart beats. My breath is short. It is time.

There are no more walls that stand in my way. I have etched my place in the books of lore and I now must surge to meet the ends of this reign. I have scrawled a tale in my blood. There is a beat. As it beats, blood that flows through my veins now as it has flowed through time. My mind, soul, and heart are all tuned to this beat.

I have come so far. I lift my blade to the night sky. It shines as it now takes the light from the moon. Light that is now for me to seize.

It is a new dawn.

(Inspired by Richard Lederer's "The Case for Short Words")

I like it. The style is very interesting, and I loved how you sort of circled back at the end, using moon imagery and ending on the word "dawn". Brilliant. Perhaps most importantly, you manage to tell a story in a very short, readable post.

Bloom

This day is a treat to each sense. The sun's rays warm my cheek. A pure calm is in the air. As a draw deep breath, I can taste and smell the sweet gifts of the world.

I've spent this first slice of Spring on a task, one I've meant to do for quite a while. My hands are worn, my lips are dry, and my eyes beg me to yield to their whims and let them close.

Not yet. I've much left to do and I am so far from my goal. I stare down at the fruit of my work and sigh as I know I have a quite the road left. But I will tend to it each day as it grows.

A small slip and from that a small cut. I stare for a while as the blood wells up into a full drop and falls to the ground. As is seeps into the earth, I take a deep sigh. Not the first time I've stood still as a part of me has bled. A past wound that I have only my blind eyes to blame.

For my pain came last time not from what I did do, but what I did not. As such, I price was paid; a high toll on my soul.

-------------------------

♪You ask me since when did I feel this way

I've known her so long it's too hard to say

There's just one thing that I am sure and

that's the love that I hold for her.♪

I craned my head as I heard the tune. It was Jess.

"Hey, I wrote that! How did you-...I thought-...Where..." I paused at a loss for words.

"Ha ha, no need to freak out. Ms. Cain pulled it from your class and gave it to me for this year's show. You know how she does that each year." she said, a wry grin on her face. "It's a cute song. How did you come up with it?"

"Oh you know me, I don't do work in her class. I just rushed it out that day 'cause it was due. I don't think it's that good."

She smirked. "Heh, you would. Make up a three page song on the spot in less than half an hour and still get top mark. I can't see how you do it."

"It's not hard when you have a source to draw from."

"Mark claimed he did that and said he got it from me. Still failed though." she laughed.

I stopped as she brought him up. "How are things with you two?"

"Well he took me out to see that new Jake Tarn flick."

"How was that?"

"G-good I guess." I sensed a hint of doubt in her words and the way she paused. It was rare

for her to say stuff that way. I probed a bit more, but she soon caught on. "Look, Myles. I

don't think I should have told you what I did. Mark and I are just fine, thanks."

"Oh, Jess I-"

She cut me off and looked away. She took a few steps, but slowed and turn her head a bit.

"I'll see you next week."

My heart sank and I reeled as I thought of what I just did and what would come of it. I let out a long sigh. How could I go on like this?

------------------------------------------

Am I done? I can't be sure. I'm a tad proud that I made it through to this point; I was sure I would have stopped by now. Of course, it's not hard to grasp why I could get this far. In fact, it's less clear to me why I took so long in the first place. Each day I know more and more that is the right thing to do.

Noon bell. Lunch. I sat at the end of the caf, where few sit. I had some food, but felt sick as I brought it close to my mouth. My mind was on Jess and what she said.

I saw the two of them walk in, hand in hand, and stood in line.

For as long as I've known Jess, she's been friends with Mark. As kids, they were close. They were the first ones to talk to me at school when I moved here. One thing led to the next and when we came to Kale High, he asked her out. All while I stood at the side and let it all pass.

Mark and I were once friends, good friends in fact. I was the first one he told of how he felt for her. At the time, I tried to help him; he was a great guy and cared for her and they seemed like a good pair. She was right for him and he was right for her. Of course, I had shut out the voice of my own heart. I chose to be deaf for the good of both of them.

Things changed. A few dates were some sort of prompt for him to show a new face of his. He was rude to his old friends, to me. Slacked off in school and drank hard each night.

As I stole a look at them while they ate, I saw once more that new look in him. A lewd thirst filled his eyes as he panned each inch of Jess. There were times where my mind was plagued with the thoughts of what he tried to do with her. When he drew close to her, she squirmed a bit. She knew she had to get out and put this to an end.

But each time it looked like she was going to break up with him, it seemed like some force pulled her right back. Jess held out for the day Mark would change back to the guy she fell for. But I felt that at her core, she knew that Mark was gone or worse, not there to start with.

Do I have the tools to tear it down? How would she feel when shown the truth? She knows it, as do I. She can't stay with him. She should...I'm the one for-

...am I? I don't know. Does what she love lie at the heart of me or Mark? Have I seen this all with green taint in my eyes? How can I know that I would...

No more of these thoughts. It has to be done.

Well, here goes.

There she is. This might be the last chance I get to see her and I won't let live it down if I let this fall through.

I grip the gift if my hand. What will she think? What will I say? No. I can't think like that. I just have to go forth and tell her. I can feel my heart pound and I find it hard to breathe.

She still has her back to me. If she had looked back now, there's no way I could keep this up.

Out of the blue, Mark.

He puts his arm on her and pulls her close. A small kiss and they stroll off. I catch a glimpse of her smile. A rare treat these days, but that glows just as strong as when I first saw it.

But it is a smile...for him.

I freeze in place. My hands lose their hold and the fruit of weeks of work falls to the ground.

I am brought to my knees and look down. I feel the soft, curled edge of what I worked for.

I read my card to her once more. My lips part to call to her.

No words.

I bite my tongue and shut in my pain. My eyes close as a flood starts to well up, stopped at the gates

of my shame. I come to feet, but still feel as if I am on my knees.

And once more, I should have, would have, could have, but did not.

----------------

Jess, it's been too long. I've made this for you to show you how I feel.

It is what I have toiled on each day for the past month to bring to you.

It is my gift to you from my heart to say what my mouth could not.

It is a rose.

As it wilts, fades, and dies, so will what I feel for you.

largerosesig.jpg

I love you

-----------------------------------------------

Inspired by Richard Lederer's "A case for short words" from "The Miracle of Language". I drew on some personal feelings, experiences, and a few ideas I've had roaming around for a while for this one. This is meant to be a part of a much larger story arc, but the other parts are a WIP. Again, there's a lot I'd like to improve or change, but I'm too lazy/unwilling to do so.

"Bloom" was just a working title for this piece. When I finished writing it, I couldn't think of anything else and I didn't want to think about making one up anymore.

I made the rose and took the picture myself. The design is by Toshikazu Kawasaki.