New Laptop Suggestions

Emp75

I am currently looking into buying a new laptop. As of right now I am mainly looking into HP and have customized one on their website. I am looking for a laptop that is good, it doesn't have to be ridiculously fast and amazing, but I do hope that it will be able to run some games in the future (such as TES V). The laptop that I customized and may possibly buy is this:

https://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cart_detail.do?pageLink=true&bvLoadCart=1&action=add&disp_msg=0

I am wondering if anyone can suggest maybe a similiar laptop for a cheaper price or a better one for around the same price. My price range is MAYBE around $1,100.

I've had HP, and i'm using an HP as a school laptop now. Build quality is very bad comparing it to other Asus laptops which my mates and my father has. Asus is a bit higher in price, but it is well worth it, and you get what you pay for from Asus!

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

I am looking at Sony Style or VAIO F1390X and I am customizing it atm and I have some questions. I would like 6GB of RAM but from 4GB to 6GB is an extra $150 which I find ridiculous. Would it be more cost efficient to just buy an extra 2Gb or maybe even 4GB instead of buying it with the laptop? Also is 7200RPM much better than 5400RPM for a HD? I don't really plan on having too many files on my computer but would 500GB greatly benefit me over 320GB? The increase is price is quite hefty and I am trying not to go too expensive.

Asus is the brand to go. Sony I'm not sure seeing the declining quality of some of the other stuff they make.

And the bad HP quality applies only to the older HP laptops, their new laptop models have a pretty good quality imo. Hell, my brother's new HP laptop produces less heat than my 2 year old Asus which by the way I keep clear of dust.

One last, final post. These are the two laptops that I am looking at.

Sony VAIO VPCF1390X

Intel® Core Quad i7-740QM processor (1.73GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 2.93GHz

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

320GB Hard Disk Drive (7200rpm)

4GB (2GBx2) DDR3-SDRAM-1333

CD/DVD Player / Burner

16.4" VAIO Display (1600x900)

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 425M GPU (1GB VRAM)

No Fresh Start

Adobe Bundle (Free - $448 value)

Microsoft® Office 2010 Starter (Click More Info for details.)

Norton Internet Security 2010 (30 Day Trial)

No Engraving

Standard capacity battery

LED Backlit Keyboard

HP Pavilion DV6Z

* Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

* AMD Phenom II Quad-Core Mobile Processor N970 (2.2GHz, 2MB L2 Cache)

* 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6550 switchable graphics [HDMI, VGA]

* FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

* 640GB 5400RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

* No Additional Office Software

* No additional security software

* 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 4.5 hours of battery life +++

* 15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Display (1366x768)

* No TouchScreen (includes HP TrueVision Webcam)

* SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support

* Wireless 802.11b/g/n Card

* Backlit Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader

* HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

The HP Pavilion is $1,011, and the Sony VAIO is $1,124.99

I am going to guess that most of you will recommend the Sony VAIO, but we shall see.

Asus is the brand to go. Sony I'm not sure seeing the declining quality of some of the other stuff they make.

And the bad HP quality applies only to the older HP laptops, their new laptop models have a pretty good quality imo. Hell, my brother's new HP laptop produces less heat than my 2 year old Asus which by the way I keep clear of dust.

The problem I have with Asus is you can't customize and purchase their laptops off their website. Or, if you can I don't know where to look. Where am I supposed to customize and purchase one if it's not on their own website?

What is the problem with not being able to customize the computer? Non-customizable allows better builds and lower prices.

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

What is the problem with not being able to customize the computer? Non-customizable allows better builds and lower prices.

The website still doesn't sell them and I'm not exactly sure where to find the laptop with a good build for me.

Here is the Asus equivalent for the two computers you were looking at, and its in the same price range. Honestly HP isn't a bad brand, but I prefer Asus like many of the other posters on here.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+17.3%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+640GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/1257894.p;jsessionid=44E41C9B492576CC47785328EA302E2C.bbolsp-app05-06?id=1218243761956&skuId=1257894&st=asus%20g73&cp=1&lp=1

I have the Asus G72, which is the model that this computer replaced, and I love this laptop! It is an amazing machine and has been through a lot and still runs just fine. :thumbsup:

aiel.png

You are getting 2 GB DDR3 more then you would in the Sony, and if you plan on pushing your computer to the limits at all then it's worth the extra $75.

EDIT: @Nyosuht: Macbooks are definitely not known for the ability to play games

aiel.png

I'm not really looking for a top-notch laptop, I simply want a somewhat affordable laptop that can be used for Runescape and possibly some computer games in the future because I currently do not play any computer games. This laptop will most likely be used for school. The Asus is just too ugly and kind of out of my price range. I'm not really looking for new suggestions anymore, just some advice on either the HP or the Sony.

Sounds like to me you are looking at getting way more laptop then you actually need... if you only plan on playing Runescape and using it for school then you are spending way too much money! Some lower models would be just great for what need it to do.

But to answer your question, personally I would go with the Sony.

aiel.png