Improving stamina

SirHartlar

I'm in a 6-aside football league but I really need to improve my stamina cos it's pretty poor, so I was wondering if I could get some advice on that. They are short games (35 mins) but high intensity so I imagine some sort of interval training would be useful. I've been running on a treadmill three times a week doing 1minute on one speed, increasing for another minute, increasing for another and then decreasing down to the original etc, but I was wondering if there was anything else that I can do on top of that or as an alternative.

My stamina blows when I don;t do any cardio.

Just do any sort of good cardio activity; running, jogging, shadow boxing, rowing etc etc and keep pushing yourself a little bit more.

Say you can shadow box for 1 minute before you are like omg need to stop.

Push yourself to do say 1m 1/2 min

Then when your wall becomes 1 1/2 min push to do 2mins etc.

mostly it jsut takes time.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

My stamina blows when I don;t do any cardio.

Just do any sort of good cardio activity; running, jogging, shadow boxing, rowing etc etc and keep pushing yourself a little bit more.

Say you can shadow box for 1 minute before you are like omg need to stop.

Push yourself to do say 1m 1/2 min

Then when your wall becomes 1 1/2 min push to do 2mins etc.

mostly it jsut takes time.

I think a part of it has been not getting back into the gym properly since exams and stuff, but I was wondering if there are any specific cardio exercises that would suit 6-aside football because I'm not looking for long distance but more short bursts.

How many times can you exercise a week? I think you're right in that intervals would be most beneficial, but building an aerobic base by doing longer endurance is also important. If I were you, I'd do something like a 100m sprint followed by 50m walk as many times as you can without the sprint pace dropping too much. Aim for 10+

Shuttle drills would also be good for football, something like sprint 10m, back to base line, sprint to 20m, back to baseline, sprint to 30m etc. up to 100m +

I mentioned an aerobic base, best thing for that is doing one long run or cycle per week if you can. The aim with this isn't to knacker yourself but to improve your overall CV fitness, which carries through to any sprint stuff you do. If you can get a heart rate monitor that would be good, for the AT (sprint) training your heart rate should be 90-100% of it's maximum (~200) whereas for the endurance stuff it'll be about 50-60%.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

How many times can you exercise a week? I think you're right in that intervals would be most beneficial, but building an aerobic base by doing longer endurance is also important. If I were you, I'd do something like a 100m sprint followed by 50m walk as many times as you can without the sprint pace dropping too much. Aim for 10+

Shuttle drills would also be good for football, something like sprint 10m, back to base line, sprint to 20m, back to baseline, sprint to 30m etc. up to 100m +

I mentioned an aerobic base, best thing for that is doing one long run or cycle per week if you can. The aim with this isn't to knacker yourself but to improve your overall CV fitness, which carries through to any sprint stuff you do. If you can get a heart rate monitor that would be good, for the AT (sprint) training your heart rate should be 90-100% of it's maximum (~200) whereas for the endurance stuff it'll be about 50-60%.

I go to the gym three times a week so it wouldn't be difficult to encorporate more aerobic exercises into my normal routine. Should I be doing this before or after I've been lifting weights?

Personal preference really, there are valid reasons for doing it either way so don't believe anyone who says you have to do it before/after. Personally I prefer to do stuff like that before weights, it knackers my lungs but otherwise still leaves me fresh enough to lift reasonable amounts. Just see what works best for you.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

• 2 weeks later...

I finding lifting weight tires my body out generally all over, if im doing the bench, curls, dips, pull ups ect...

Then after that if i try and go on the treadmill or bikes I cant push myself as hard.

Also I DONT LIKE CV so getting it out the way straight away is good, also imo it pumps you up a bit(phycologically) then you can pump more weights :thumbup: :shades:

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

I finding lifting weight tires my body out generally all over, if im doing the bench, curls, dips, pull ups ect...

Then after that if i try and go on the treadmill or bikes I cant push myself as hard.

Also I DONT LIKE CV so getting it out the way straight away is good, also imo it pumps you up a bit(phycologically) then you can pump more weights :thumbup: :shades:

Yeah I tried both ways a few times and definitely preferred doing CV first. Just a thank you to everyone for their advice really, already feeling my stamina improving and it has definitely started to help my game. :thumbup: