Craftable Mage Robes

jaklumen

EDIT: RSOF thread has been pruned off. This space will change, soon. There needs to be some revisions.

I am posting this because I told another player I would, and I consider myself a man of my word.

I had suggested something like this before (some years back) on one of the major RS fansites, and since the release of Dungeoneering, I don't see why Jagex hasn't implemented it yet. Warriors can smith armor, rangers can craft hide armor, so why can't mages craft robes outside of Daemonheim?

And now that the original Wilderness and Free Trade is back... again, why not?

All sets would require a needle and thread, of course.

F2P WIZARD ROBES

Tier 1: Wizard/dark wizard robes

Here's the main draw: I'm suggesting that wizard robe bottoms (skirts) get a Magic Attack and Defense bonus of +2. This does mean that Jagex may wish to alter the skirts in the trimmed and gold-trimmed Treasure Trail sets, and prices for those sets will probably climb as a result.

Material: Wool, as balls of yarn. So now it's not just for stringing amulets anymore. Amounts are as per Daemonheim: two balls for hats, five for robe tops, 3 for robe bottoms. Pieces are listed as "unfinished", have no stats, and are greyish in color.

Coloring wizard robes is just like changing colors for the rune guardian pet; they are finished at a runecrafting altar, which gives them a color and the bonus stats. The quest Rune Mechanics does not need to be completed. So, for the runecrafting altars available to F2P, each altar changes the robe set to the following colors:

Air - white

Mind - orange

Water - indigo

Earth - brown

Fire - red

Body - light blue

Use one robe piece on the runecrafting altar to change them all and to add bonuses. Bonuses are as regular wizard/dark wizard robes, except skirts get magic +2, def +2.

P2P WIZARD ROBES

Tier 2: Gnome/Canafis robes

The next "tier" is equivalent to Gnome or Canafis robes. With F2P robe bottoms bumped up to +2, this robe set simply adds a pair of boots. Granted, they are the same stats as leather boots... so mainly I am just including this to be complete.

Material: Flax, as linen (again, spun on a spinning wheel). Now it makes more sense why the Gnome Stronghold has so many spinning wheels, as players would have an incentive to use them there. Amounts of linen per piece are as before, as they are in Daemonheim. Again, pieces are listed as "unfinished" and are finished at these altars to give them colors and their stats:

Cosmic altar - yellow

Chaos altar - gold

Nature altar - green

Tier 3: Mystic

Material: silk, as is. Once again, the amount of silk needed is in the same ratios of materials that they are for Daemonheim. The robe pieces also require a special thread that is only available in the Magic Guild from the Robes seller. It cannot be traded. Unfinished pieces are done at these altars:

Law altar - blue

Death altar - black

Blood altar - crimson

There will be a color reserved for the Soul altar, if and when it is released.

Any colors will NOT be the same as mystic pieces obtained as special drops from Slayer monsters.

Tier 4: Moonclan robes (TOTALLY optional... not sure it's worth it)

Material: flax spun to linen, regular thread. Moonclan hats and helms require the same number of linen. Cape requires one. Unfinished pieces are laid upon the Astral altar and will be colored violet.

Tier 5: Lunar robes, a.k.a. "Ceremonial Traveling Robes"

Basically, you'll get the option to craft everything just like you did during the quest, instead of buying them from the Oneimancer again. Not sure how to deal with the ring, cape, and amulet, since they are found, not crafted, during the quest.

I think it'd be pretty cool if Jagex would also give us the option to craft additional Lunar staves from Dramen staves. But I won't push it.

It'd also be nice if we can get that lighter color "Me" has in the Lunar Diplomacy quest, if we use our pieces on the Astral altar.

Tier 6: Splitbark

Material: Same as it is now; hollow bark and fine cloth, in the same amounts that the Splitbark Mage at the Wizard's Tower asks for. Offhand, I think it'd be reasonable to require the same special thread that is sold at the Magic Guild. Unfinished pieces (gauntlets, boots, body, helm, legs) are taken to the Wizard's Tower as normal-- but the fee is a little less. There should be a right-click option that brings up a menu just like for tanning hides; the prices for each piece will be listed with a picture.

I would imagine that Jagex would probably introduce more mage robes than I have listed, to keep pace with the amount of range hide armors that can be crafted in the game.

I always thought it went 'warriors kill monsters for their armor, rangers craft their armor, and mages play minigames/quests for their armor'. This idea has severe faults, namely that it'd lower the prices of all these robes to the point of being tooo cheap, and it'd make them too easy to obtain (which, for a bunch of these, shouldn't be the case).

div>

I always thought it went 'warriors kill monsters for their armor, rangers craft their armor, and mages play minigames/quests for their armor'. This idea has severe faults, namely that it'd lower the prices of all these robes to the point of being tooo cheap, and it'd make them too easy to obtain (which, for a bunch of these, shouldn't be the case).

I understand where you're coming from, but... that just isn't quite so. Such reasoning isn't consistent with how the game is laid out. It may be argued that it's true in most cases, but there are very notable exceptions, some which have been around since the beginning.

Smithing has always been connected to melee. Always, since the start of RS. Now it can be argued that smithers don't smith anything that is useful to the higher-leveled warrior, but that's not quite so, either. Both the dragonfire shield and the dragon chestplate must be smithed from separate components, albeit not ore. Yes, you must kill some monsters to get the visage (and completed a basic quest for the antidragon fire shield, getting it from Duke Horacio) and the lump/shard pieces, but you still have to smith them together.

There are several very valued pieces of ranger equipment that cannot be crafted, of course:

- ranger boots from Treasure Trails

- Armadyl and now Pernix armors from God Wars Dungeon

- Karil's set, from Barrows, specifically leathertop and leatherskirt

As far as Magic, I already just stated in my thread that light and dark Mystic is dropped by slayer monsters. And then there's also the Virtus armor dropped by Nex.

It's obvious I need to do some streamlining of this idea, from the responses I got at the forums. The thread has been pruned off, now, so I guess that makes it that much more apparent that I need to do a revision. But hey, developers don't copy suggestions they get here just precisely as they are put down here. Yeah. I've seen some suggestions made here that became a reality. The cooking range in the Cooking Guild and churn revisions were discussed here, and I was part of those discussions. I think the "if everyone had their way, noobs would be going around with flamethrowers and grenades"... that became salamanders and chinchompas... was here, too. I shouldn't have to list every suggestion made here that Jagex implemented to make my point.

I've been around the block, son. I've contributed to these forums and worked on Staff. Go check if you don't believe me. I'm not going to come half-baked on a poorly thought out idea. Heh. Ask Fat_Slug if she remembers protesting about the notion that botters might farm silk the last time I suggested craftable mage robes. I'll refine this as I need, and I'll keep on it, hopefully until it happens. If not... eh. Many a suggestion hasn't made it in, but I'm not going to suggest something stupid and I'd appreciate it if you changed your tone because I am not a fool, nor am I ignorant of how this game works. Go find Duke Freedom and bring him back to the forums here if you think I'm an ignoramus about the economy... I've talked to him, and I'm not.

• 2 weeks later...

Smithing has always been connected to melee. Always, since the start of RS. Now it can be argued that smithers don't smith anything that is useful to the higher-leveled warrior, and that's quite so. Both the dragonfire shield and the dragon chestplate must be smithed from separate components, albeit not ore, and are completely useless outside of cosmetic purposes. Yes, you must kill some monsters to get the visage (and completed a basic quest for the antidragon fire shield, getting it from Duke Horacio) and the lump/shard pieces, but you still have to smith them together.

Fix'd

OT: Id love to see mage craftable armour but Id like to see new armours available for crafting that are actually good and not crafting of the armours already in existence.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword