Ipod Touch 4G Screen Replacment

Lord Diddy

img20110502231524.jpg

As you can see above in the picture that my screen on the Ipod is cracked (I dont think i can buff that one out :lol:)

I know from some phone repairs that the digitizer needs to be replaced, and im already buying it off ebay a replacement. The only question is that if anyone had experience doing this, would it be easier to buy both an LCD+Digitizer (I hear something with the glue makes this a hard process due to the adhesive if your only replacing the digitizer). *Also if buying a digitizer also includes the protective glass screen that comes on top of it*?. My LCD works perfectly, and my digitizer gets full functionality. Really if it didn't look bad and wasn't harmful i'd simply just continue to use this as is but would rather fix the screen. There might be a problem with my camera for a reason, its not working.

Any advice, links, tips are welcome. Just don't ask how this happened :wink:

randomkcopyq.png

Well don't quote me on this but I don't think this is something you can fix yourself. You can try to bring it into Apple and see if they can. If want you to replace it only then well, it's entirely your choice.

If you feel confident in doing it yourself then go ahead. It's just that mobile devices tend to be a lot more tricky than computers.

j0xPu5R.png

Well don't quote me on this but I don't think this is something you can fix yourself. You can try to bring it into Apple and see if they can. If want you to replace it only then well, it's entirely your choice.

If you feel confident in doing it yourself then go ahead. It's just that mobile devices tend to be a lot more tricky than computers.

Im more than confident in my ability to do this as I've fixed a few phone screens myself for different models. But with Ipods its a grey area where I want to make sure what im doing and could get all the knowledge i can beforehand.

randomkcopyq.png

Thanks Laura, that guide is very good to use as a reference. Also I managed to dig up my answer to my problem after playing with my wording for a few times. It looks like I need to buy both an LCD and digitizer.

Hi, I repair iphones, ipods, and many other devices for a living. I literally have a box stacked full of the broken lcd/digi's that we have repaired. We have tried many solutions and suggestions to separate them. Heat gun, oven, ect. It CAN be done, but the chances of you succeeding are very slim. The biggest problem is that your applying alot of heat to the LCD, and if you are to succeed in separating them the life span/integrity of the LCD is greatly shortened during the process.

Not to discourage you but thought id give my input. The LCD and Digitizer are fused together during the manufacturing process, the best method i have found is a heat gun and a low setting. It takes a lot of patience as they will not quickly separate. I start in a corner of the LCD with the thinnest blade you can find. Good luck, hope this helps.

Kudos for the help.

randomkcopyq.png