Disconnecting with wired internet

Lep

I've always been wired to the router, but we recently gave up with my moms wireless as it always lost the signal no matter what we did. Ever since we bought a 50 foot cord to go from the router to her computer, me and her have both been randomly losing connection from our games once in a while.

It's only from the games too, nothing else. I'm able to freely browse the internet, but the games will disconnect. The game she always disconnects on is Gardens of Time on Facebook and me on RuneScape.

Any ideas?

Is it at particular times, such as in the evenings, or on the weekends especially? That could be to do with high WAN traffic.

Is it while you two are playing simultaneously? That could be high LAN traffic.

It's probably just the games because they'll use more data than internet browsing.. I presume. Anyway it'd be good to know the details of when it happens.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I had so much trouble with this a couple of years ago. We we're using a local ISP, it was horrible at delivering what we we're promised!!!

We purchased internet "suited" especially for gaming. What we got was exactly what you are experiencing, disconnecting in games like runescape, maplestory, call of duty etc... The issue was a combination of [cabbage] router (supplied by the ISP) and high WAN usage on the ISPs side. When we bought fiber internet, it went all smooth.

I'd suggest you do what Lord_Diddy suggested, the test isn't completely fail safe. You could also run command promt and type ping google.com -t, look for any inconsistency. If it appears that the connection is unstable, ping spikes or lost packages, i suggest you call your ISP and tell them about your issue, and your experiences! ;)

Good luck

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody