Tip.It Times - 25th September 2011

tripsis

Stop being a pedant and start trying to contribute to discussions once in a while.

Excuse me? You expect me to discuss things with him when he clearly has a different notion of player worth than me?

How am I supposed to contribute to the discussion on even terms with him if I don't know what he is refering to when he says "good" or "bad"? Because as far as I know, those things fall on the realm of subjectivity. The most objective evaluation of a player would be his global rank when compared to other players, but he clearly doesn't use that definition.

crossed_body.png

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have replied but in another thread as i have allowed myself to ruin this thread by not staying on the main topic. for that i am sorry.

i have moved my part in this debate away from here to "off topic, religion vs science (already in progress)" for anyone who wishes to continue this discusion.

again, i am sorry and i should have done this long ago. :wall:

thanks,

gompo

*edit*

oops, already locked... well i guess my ignorance knows no bounds :wall: ....

sooooo i guess read it, reply where it is supposed to be :grin:

thanks,

gompo

No matter where you go, there you are.

StarTrekEnterprise1701A_freedesktopwallpaper_p-1.jpg

Guest jrhairychest

Stop being a pedant and start trying to contribute to discussions once in a while.

Excuse me? You expect me to discuss things with him when he clearly has a different notion of player worth than me?

How am I supposed to contribute to the discussion on even terms with him if I don't know what he is refering to when he says "good" or "bad"? Because as far as I know, those things fall on the realm of subjectivity. The most objective evaluation of a player would be his global rank when compared to other players, but he clearly doesn't use that definition.

I believe this covered it in response to Gompo:

It's up to the individual if they want to hero-worship or not. I choose not for the reasons outlined. This game is about being time-served. Take yourself - Your stats are pretty high and you've a reasonably high rank. By your admission you spend a lot of time on RS (addiction I think you said). Compare that to your stats if you played around 2 hours per day. They'd be lower. Does that make you a worse player? No. Does someone who is ranked, lets say, 250 make them a better player than you? No , they've just put more time into the game. It's that simple. So, if someone wants to hero worship the top'x' then that's fine, but I don't. I haven't stated anywhere that everyone should conform to this idea so not sure where you're going with that.

It's up to the individual if they want to hero-worship or not. I choose not for the reasons outlined. This game is about being time-served. Take yourself - Your stats are pretty high and you've a reasonably high rank. By your admission you spend a lot of time on RS (addiction I think you said). Compare that to your stats if you played around 2 hours per day. They'd be lower. Does that make you a worse player? No. Does someone who is ranked, lets say, 250 make them a better player than you? No , they've just put more time into the game. It's that simple. So, if someone wants to hero worship the top'x' then that's fine, but I don't. I haven't stated anywhere that everyone should conform to this idea so not sure where you're going with that.

No, you just say that time played does not make you a better or a worse player. You don't actually say what does make you a better player.

crossed_body.png

Guest jrhairychest

No, you just say that time played does not make you a better or a worse player. You don't actually say what does make you a better player.

I'll assume you mean global ranks as you've mentioned them in your post up the top. Global ranks do not show a real measure of a players skill, just the amount of time dedicated to a discipline. They've additionally become devalued due to those who bot their skills and those who have traded accounts. So I can't say if a player ranked at 50k is any better than someone ranked at 200.

I'll assume you mean global ranks as you've mentioned them in your post up the top. Global ranks do not show a real measure of a players skill, just the amount of time dedicated to a discipline. They've additionally become devalued due to those who bot their skills and those who have traded accounts. So I can't say if a player ranked at 50k is any better than someone ranked at 200.

So again, I ask the question. How do you judge players, if not by their ranks?

crossed_body.png

Guest jrhairychest

So again, I ask the question. How do you judge players, if not by their ranks?

The thread's about reverence of players and I don't revere them for the reasons I've outlined here, and earlier in the thread.

The thread's about reverence of players and I don't revere them for the reasons I've outlined here, and earlier in the thread.

One of your arguments is that you don't find them to be worth revering because you don't deem them to be "better players" than average, or so it seems.

So, please answer my question for me to fully understand your argument.

crossed_body.png

Guest jrhairychest

One of your arguments is that you don't find them to be worth revering because you don't deem them to be "better players" than average, or so it seems.

So, please answer my question for me to fully understand your argument.

I don't really tend to judge them in any other particular way. I get on with my game, they get on with theirs. The ranks are worthless as they don't paint the entire picture of the players and they're soiled. There's no real skill to the game but it's good fun. There you go, no big mystery.

There's no real skill to the game but it's good fun.

I disagree, there are some parts of the game which require some skill (I'm not able to do many things Woox16 does, for example). Doing things efficiently and understanding the game mechanics is also a skill unto itself.

But we'll have to agree to disagree I guess.

crossed_body.png

There's no real skill to the game but it's good fun.

I disagree, there are some parts of the game which require some skill (I'm not able to do many things Woox16 does, for example). Doing things efficiently and understanding the game mechanics is also a skill unto itself.

But we'll have to agree to disagree I guess.

If you divide all the parts about what it takes to achieve such a high rank, "skill" is of an incredibly small proportion compared to the time required to play the game, or the mental capacity to do something repetitive for hours on end. It's not that hard to just use the best methods available to you either.

The point is, in RS, and unlike in a lot of other games and even other MMO's, "skill" is much less necessary to be successful than time. I don't think there's anything that has a predisposition in morals or personal opinion in that statement.