Tip.It Times - 25th September 2011

tripsis

Guest jrhairychest

Quite agree with the 'Idolatry and Reverence' article. While I concede that there will always be players to look up to for certain things I can't condone someone idolising someone who's in the top 'X'. This is usually because they're claiming dole/benefits/welfare while spending 'x' amount of hours at the comp. Essentially playing RS at the taxpayers expense. I've had the usual 'Im disabled' (But you're not disabled enough to not use a computer all day so you can work! :-s ) and 'I'm rich enough not to have to' (Yes and I'm sure you're all that rich and have nothing better to do with your riches than play RS all day every day!).

However kids have idolised the talentless through the ages (Bez from the Happy Mondays or Paris Hilton to name a few). In a way, RS is no different. :|

Not exactly. Someone on the front page was just a guy in high school who just played a ton of RS, before he decided to sell his account for 50k cash.

To keep it up the top, you've got to put in the hours. Unless the guy didn't sleep, account shared or botted there's no way you can do that compared to the game time these players put in on a daily basis.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the Idolatry and Reverence article was excellent and well written. Of course it was bias, it was the authors opinion! Which he then invited comments for. I realise not every player behaves in that way, but I have regularly been witness to the ridiculous level of adulation being shown to well known players.

An example is my usual homeworld is one that Zezima frequents and he goes through phases of 'hanging out' in the same bank as myself, when that happens I end up having to switch public chat off or move to another bank. Players find he's there, then tell everyone in their clan or on their friends list, next thing you know there are 100 players all begging Zezima to add them, let them have his babies or say hello because they are videoing this (this is after all a 2 inch high pixel, lets not forget that) and various other bizarre and disturbing comments, some of which are too rude for this post. Don't tell me this isn't 'hero worship', because it is and is totally inappropriate too. The tip.it article had it spot on! :thumbsup:

35cq0q9.png

Quite agree with the 'Idolatry and Reverence' article. While I concede that there will always be players to look up to for certain things I can't condone someone idolising someone who's in the top 'X'. This is usually because they're claiming dole/benefits/welfare while spending 'x' amount of hours at the comp. Essentially playing RS at the taxpayers expense. I've had the usual 'Im disabled' (But you're not disabled enough to not use a computer all day so you can work! :-s ) and 'I'm rich enough not to have to' (Yes and I'm sure you're all that rich and have nothing better to do with your riches than play RS all day every day!).

However kids have idolised the talentless through the ages (Bez from the Happy Mondays or Paris Hilton to name a few). In a way, RS is no different. :|

Not exactly. Someone on the front page was just a guy in high school who just played a ton of RS, before he decided to sell his account for 50k cash.

To keep it up the top, you've got to put in the hours. Unless the guy didn't sleep, account shared or botted there's no way you can do that compared to the game time these players put in on a daily basis.

All the guy did in his spare time was play RS, I don't know exactly how long he slept or how well he did in school but he definitely "put in the hours" lol. There are definitely people on the front page that bot/account share, but this guy literally played RS whenever he had any time at all.

Regardless of how long ago, it's wrong to assume that a top 20/10 player is leeching off of government programs to stay in that spot. Judging people you don't know off of half-formed guesses is poor form no matter who you are. Who knows why they do what they do, and how they accomplish it? I don't understand how some people who have such negative views of the Top Players even bother to comment about them, if not to just boost their own self esteem and put others down.

Idolatry and hierarchies are natural, and no matter whether or not this is a game, there's still people playing. So of course, you're going to see it. Beyond that who gives a crap? If you don't like it, just do what you'd do when Entertainment Tonight comes on. The whole article has negative tones throughout it that not only frown on how we're hard-wired to be, but even for the structure he writes for. I find it kind of depressing and honestly, it was a pain to make it through the whole article. It shut me off and shut me down as a reader, and I felt the whole point of the article was washed away in the obnoxious rhetoric.

hzvjpwS.gif

Regardless of how long ago, it's wrong to assume that a top 20/10 player is leeching off of government programs to stay in that spot. Judging people you don't know off of half-formed guesses is poor form no matter who you are. Who knows why they do what they do, and how they accomplish it? I don't understand how some people who have such negative views of the Top Players even bother to comment about them, if not to just boost their own self esteem and put others down.

Idolatry and hierarchies are natural, and no matter whether or not this is a game, there's still people playing. So of course, you're going to see it. Beyond that who gives a crap? If you don't like it, just do what you'd do when Entertainment Tonight comes on. The whole article has negative tones throughout it that not only frown on how we're hard-wired to be, but even for the structure he writes for. I find it kind of depressing and honestly, it was a pain to make it through the whole article. It shut me off and shut me down as a reader, and I felt the whole point of the article was washed away in the obnoxious rhetoric.

Everything written was mostly true tbh, he was mainly judging the population that idols maxed players not so much as the players themselves. But i mostly agree, the player i knew, despite spending all his time on RS, was a pretty cool guy and had nowhere near an egotistical personality.

How long ago was this? Do you remember?

Don't exactly remember, but the guy is still ranked on the front page lol. It's not like he actually got caught.

To be fair, there are bound to be a few that use RS to support themselves. RWT is quite lucrative and not limited to those goldfarmers that cause seizures at the GE, after all. :razz: Especially at higher levels, where accounts themselves get quite valuable. Botting/account sharing helps.

Not to say that every high level does it. If RS is their primary source of entertainment, it can easily be fit into a 13-20+ year old's schedule, unless s/he's the kind of student has a lot of other responsibilities outside of that. The recent shift toward efficiency helps as well. Assuming classes last from 7-3, they have from ~4-6 to whenever teenagers sleep these days to play the game, give or take a few hours for socializing with real world friends, maintenance, and whatever else they do. And then there are the weekends and breaks.

Unless you're talking about the kinds of players that can put in 20 hour days. I don't know how the hell anyone can do that. :razz:

Almost every culture has its celebrities. Religions have their heroes, TV/film has its actors, music has musicians, and so on. It isn't really surprising that MMOs would develop that way as well, and that they'd have the kinds of celebrities that we love to hate in the real world as well.

I thought the Idolatry and Reverence article was excellent and well written. Of course it was bias, it was the authors opinion! Which he then invited comments for. I realise not every player behaves in that way, but I have regularly been witness to the ridiculous level of adulation being shown to well known players.

An example is my usual homeworld is one that Zezima frequents and he goes through phases of 'hanging out' in the same bank as myself, when that happens I end up having to switch public chat off or move to another bank. Players find he's there, then tell everyone in their clan or on their friends list, next thing you know there are 100 players all begging Zezima to add them, let them have his babies or say hello because they are videoing this (this is after all a 2 inch high pixel, lets not forget that) and various other bizarre and disturbing comments, some of which are too rude for this post. Don't tell me this isn't 'hero worship', because it is and is totally inappropriate too. The tip.it article had it spot on! :thumbsup:

Has anyone begun collecting and displaying "holy relics" purporting to have belonged to Zezima, yet? Are people seeing visions of SUOMI on underpass walls? Has anyone written stories about King Duffy's exploits and tried to pass them off as some form of religious text?

If, as and when any of THAT happens, then it is the time to have any real concern about it.

nyuseg.png

Crosefisso's article on idolatry seems to be a misguided attack on consumerism. The superficial qualities he bemoans aren't particularly virtuous but do not detract from individual character in themselves. Rather, what's concerning is the effect the emphasis of these qualities will have on individual self-esteem, ideal body shape, and so forth, which I understand was partly his point, and I agree it's something to be concerned about.

Even then, following trends that emphasize certain superficial qualities doesn't equate to worship of an individual so much as conformity to an ideal that these individuals embody for the consumer. It's also been said here that attempting to qualify the effects of this 'celebrity worship' is largely a value judgment.

It can be argued that aspiring to a set of traits, like ones that can be described as 'beauty', has a positive effect on the individual, not negative as he's seemed to have painted it. But then, because of the connotation of beauty, we start wading into differing notions of a gender ideal, not limited to ideal female character, provided discussion on this topic goes far off enough into that tangent. What I think underlays this contention in relation to the rest of his argument is that self-expression is suppressed in favor of the preconceived popular notion of the proper way to act, in seeking to belong.

So what he's arguing against, is that this conformity is deplorable because it counteracts any rational thought, and this characteristic contributes to the delusion of 'worship'. Even so, conformity (which is the case he's discussing here) is hardly the same as blind praise and reverence, although reverence can entail conformity to varying extents (think of praising God and following the Ten Commandments).

I'll add that the cases you mention regards fanaticism about famous players ('stalking' in clan chats and so forth) seems exaggerated as well. In regards to the rest of his argument, it seemed the examples he chose were tailored to depict a sense of disillusionment regards to the competitive culture he claims Jagex has institutionalized with the hi-scores and related features, rather than to explain the effects of this culture on the community in a coherent manner.

I disagree with his claims that a top-level player relying on his fan-base to compete against others, amongst others, accurately reflects on a person's character. It's a more credible explanation that, efficiency being an objective in breaking XP records, that relying on a fan-base for donations, or simply even courteous donations from an interested audience, is a more reliable means to accomplish a goal. It's not so much a reflection of self-centeredness as opposed to how you choose to invest effort.

I'll note this claim of egoism is also based on a value judgment, the assumption being that this implicit integrity in skilling has such value that it's intrinsic to the notion of "accomplishment", and that relying on a fan-base to achieve this betrays this integrity, since it would not be an accurate reflection of individual ability, which thus diminishes any inherent worth associated with the achievement.

I'll further add that I doubt 'integrity' would be so compromised if you chose to rely in part, from donations. You, in argument, have reduced achievement to a sphere of common ability which takes no more skill than patience and clicking repetitively for sustained periods of time. Relying on 10M GP worth of donations out of 100M I've earned through my own power, perhaps saves me a few thousand clicks.

Realistically, there is little difference in the effort invested between the two outcomes. The most potent measure of ability, after all, is how fast and how long you can click your mouse, so how can that devalue an achievement? If there is any value lost, it has what's been determined by RuneScape's skilling culture to be valuable.

Rather, it's all too easy to perceive such outcomes as egoism when it could be chalked up to sensibility in the face of competition. For example, if I choose to skill entirely by my own hand, does that mean I'm less pre-occupied with my goal, and hence less egotistical, then someone who takes more efficient (albeit external) means to achieve the same? How do you measure one's ego this way? Could it not simply be a matter of how you choose to play the game, rather than a case of an inflated sense of self-worth?

Questioning how one chooses to play the game leads to misguided conclusions about their character based on the superficial knowledge of their game-play. Hence, what you have examined largely seems like egoism on the surface when there are more practical explanations for it. I'd say most top-ranking players are modest to uncaring about the social status associated their levels, since it would seem accomplishment is for them, too, derived more from individual satisfaction and not communal adulation. Quantifying one's ego by conflating aspects of their game-play with delusions of self-worth does not a reliable indicator make.

Indeed, if there were no public forum for showing off achievements, there would be little incentive to do anything, if you were looking for applause when you did it. Individual gratification is still a driving factor in pursuing goals. The game itself, however, is a public forum, and thus achievements in some form, whether you wish to or not, are out in the open for everyone to see. People obtained 99s before skill-capes, there is now just greater incentive to do so. What do you think people got 99s for before skill-capes were released?

The applause is inevitable, but there's more to an accomplishment than that. Accomplishment is not derived wholly from communal adulation which drives your claims of purported egoism. The promise of it can exacerbate the drive, but I like to think top-players have their priorities in place and find deeper usefulness in what they've achieved. Describing the whole of this endeavor as if it's deplorable, is a bit of a stretch.

I won't deny elements of it exist, as the game is multi-player and so it's inherently competitive, but it isn't out and full "I'm better than you, look at my pixels, man." Of course as the stakes are raised higher, more attention is brought to the individual, whether they wished for it or not.

It's advantageous in this case, for the player to exploit whatever benefits this relationship offers, hence relying in part from donations and a dedicated cult following. This behavior is not the sign of delusions of grandeur, in itself. It's a sensible reaction to a situation, and, inevitably, you'll have people that will reach for the top, but this doesn't reflect on their real life character.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

Has anyone begun collecting and displaying "holy relics" purporting to have belonged to Zezima, yet? Are people seeing visions of SUOMI on underpass walls? Has anyone written stories about King Duffy's exploits and tried to pass them off as some form of religious text?

If, as and when any of THAT happens, then it is the time to have any real concern about it.

Lol! Maybe I should rent out the space that Zezima stands on? I could use vials of water and say they are holy water he has blessed.....money making scam or what? You're actually not far off things that have already happened. As it is people take screen shots of Zezima speaking: "OMFG, he said hello and I got a screenie of it!!!" People already ask him for something of his that they can keep, how long before others try selling items of having belonged to Zezima? I am using him as an example because he is the one I know and have seen the general 'public' reaction. Players will use examples of what he has said as if they are beyond reproof, he said it so therefore it is true, adulation to the point of religious fervour. :huh:

35cq0q9.png

Lol! Maybe I should rent out the space that Zezima stands on? I could use vials of water and say they are holy water he has blessed.....money making scam or what? You're actually not far off things that have already happened. As it is people take screen shots of Zezima speaking: "OMFG, he said hello and I got a screenie of it!!!" People already ask him for something of his that they can keep, how long before others try selling items of having belonged to Zezima? I am using him as an example because he is the one I know and have seen the general 'public' reaction. Players will use examples of what he has said as if they are beyond reproof, he said it so therefore it is true, adulation to the point of religious fervour. :huh:

Fine by me -- but I want a 25% "royalty" ... :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

i have seen zezima a few times in my years of playing RS, and if anything i feel pity for him. yes, he may want the attention, but i sure would not. the people following him around begging for everything from asking him to say hello to "giv me monies plox" would soon have me going postal on all of RS.

for me, it is a 2 edged sword to being a high ranked player, first: you get to be well known. second: you get to be well known. i would rather play the game gain my goals, have fun and much more rather than deal with what "celebrity" seems to bring some of these players.

it seems that there are all sorts of "worship" in RS, not all of it has to do with being a ranked player, i see it with JMods and PMods (i have a few PMods as friends and i do not believe a single one has private chat set to public as they always have people "needing" them) and even some guy that posts on youtube that is known for saying "hooda, hooda, hooda" (or some other inane phrase. as i didnt find him the least bit interesting, i have forgotten what the phrase was.) all get some kind of "worship". my point is, there are all sorts of people willing to follow anyone that they feel have done something or earned something that they, for what ever reason, respect.

but, just how is this any different than real life? everyone has people they tend to look up to. is it the leader of your country? the football player, baseball, basketball? a teacher? a novelist? a police officer? a person that can consume gallons of adult beverages every night? all of these people have their own form of groupies who seem to take pride in being able to say "i know (insert name), aint i all that?". dont these people trade favors just to be able to get a nod from whom their form of worship is? even atheists have people they always seem to look to. (they are just they are better than everyone else as they call it "respect" rather than "worship")

as i am disabled and living on the government dole, i do get to play a lot, but i have a friend that is in the top 250 that plays and has a job as well as being a single parent with 3 kids, so it can be done. i admit, i do not know how some of the "top" players get the xp they do every day but to assume they do nothing but play RS is asinine and judgmental and makes me wonder if there isnt a bit of jealousy from the poster.

i am sure that some top players do want the attention just as i am sure many others do not. the high scores is nothing else but a guide to many for their goals, not to earn worshipers. to minimize the dedication of top players to nothing more than glory seekers and clickers seems to be a justification of some sort for players who do not like to play RS in the manner it was designed for and rather it be changed to what they consider more "normal" RL skills (such as more killing jad, less fishing).

personally, i do think i play way, way, way to much RS. i do have respectable skills and yes, i am proud. i do look at the high score list, but beyond zezima and a few "older" top players, i do not know any of their names, i do not even know the names right above or below me, all i see is the "rank" (i did meet gertjars once, he is a friend of the player i referred to above, i found him to be rude to me even without me saying anything).

achievement is always in the eyes of the individual. dont believe me? look in the guinniess book of world records (RL high scores), the things people used to do to get into that book makes "clicking" for hours on end, seem to be a very admired record.

thanks,

gompo

P.S. a few examples guinness book of world records;

longest fingernails

golf ball balancing

hula-hooping

knot tying

needle threading

betcha there are people that strive to be just as good as the record holders and follow them as much as possible.

seriously, is RS worse to be proud of than these things?

No matter where you go, there you are.

StarTrekEnterprise1701A_freedesktopwallpaper_p-1.jpg

Guest jrhairychest

@Kimberly - If people are using taxes to illicitly supplement their lifestyle then I'm entitled to judge as a taxpayer. Telling me I'm making assumptions is a double edged sword as you don't know if I'm wrong.

If I want to boost my self esteem and put others down I'd have applied for some sort of modship, but thanks for the therapy evaluation.

@I_Trollz_U - Most players do put in the hours from time-to-time which I'm certainly agreed with. However to keep at the top it takes more than that and I don't think any kid or adult in education or at work simply has the time to do that. Of course if the accounts have been traded or botted then it makes the 'achievement' of the account also worthless.

@Missingno - I agree with a lot of what you're saying (ALG in disguise lol). However I'm talking the top 'X' of players and the way that these guys put away the xp is quite astonishing. I don't believe schoolkids would hold those accounts unless they've been traded (see above).

@Gompo - There's plenty of people who are disabled who don't live on the government dole. Are you using this to justify that you play a lot? Your friend is commendable, although your friend hasn't reached the 1b xp mark (I'm assuming your friend is near the end of the 'top 250'). How does she manage all that gaming time with 3 kids?

Jealousy? This is RS we are talking about, not the professional Korean leagues. Those guys get paid for being good, not the other way around lmao.

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my article in a sensible and constructive manner. Geekguy, your response was particularly enjoyable. I assure you I'll try to find time to respond to you later this week.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

The only time I saw Zezima was back in 2006 or 2007. He was ranging imps south of Fally (presumably for a Champion's Scroll) and people were picking up his arrows and trying to sell them. I don't know if any trades were actually made, but the fact that someone thought the item, although identical to all like it, was somehow sublime was just sad. It's a sad reality that this does (or at least did) happen.

Although maybe not so severe, I have fallen victim to this behavior in the past too. Back when I actually made YT videos, seeing one of the "famous" video makers in game was like a supernatural experience to me then. I've since grown up a bit, but that's not to say there aren't many who still feel that way at present. Croce's article is spot on.

@h3art

You spelled, "im a atheist so i think im smarter then u if i tells u this outside of off topic!!!11eleven1!" wrong. Grow up.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my article in a sensible and constructive manner. Geekguy, your response was particularly enjoyable. I assure you I'll try to find time to respond to you later this week.

Awesome. No rush, I'll wait. :)

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

@Missingno - I agree with a lot of what you're saying (ALG in disguise lol). However I'm talking the top 'X' of players and the way that these guys put away the xp is quite astonishing. I don't believe schoolkids would hold those accounts unless they've been traded (see above).

True. I was just talking about high levels in general, I have no idea how the top players manage it.

This whole "Not arguing with you" thing is new to me. :-P

Guest jrhairychest

True. I was just talking about high levels in general, I have no idea how the top players manage it.

This whole "Not arguing with you" thing is new to me. :-P

Right I'm with you. Heh in order to celebrate I'll pass you a custard doughnut out of the pack I'm currently scoffing on my lunch break ;-)

Wow.. Definite bias in the first one.

These sort of responses are baseless and fatuous.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Do you have any proof that people are living off of welfare while spending large amounts of hours on the computer playing Runescape? The majority of people I know and play with are college students who play it in their spare time, which can add up to a lot of time depending on the courses you are taking.

And the society pays for the lack of activity & productivity.

Really, I hate this argument, as it is complete vain. Anybody should aim for the heighest productivity and try to improve society in their way. Having "fun" is only as a distraction and should be done by people to relax to get energy to be active the next day again.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

@jrhairychest

@Gompo - There's plenty of people who are disabled who don't live on the government dole. Are you using this to justify that you play a lot? Your friend is commendable, although your friend hasn't reached the 1b xp mark (I'm assuming your friend is near the end of the 'top 250'). How does she manage all that gaming time with 3 kids?

Jealousy? This is RS we are talking about, not the professional Korean leagues. Those guys get paid for being good, not the other way around lmao.

--------------------------------

heck, there are disabled people who run marathons! i wasnt trying to justify my (addiction) ability to play RS day and night. after all, i bemoaned the fact that i play too much RS. this was nothing more than attempting to show there are many diverse people that can juggle their lives to accomplish whatever they want and that for someone to whine the only way to be a top player was to be on the dole and do nothing but play RS, was mistaken or confused.

while i have no idea what the "professional korean league" is, i imagine that you assume they are good at what they do hence the "professional" part of your reference. does that mean that when i worked for an industrial gasses company delivering their product say that i was a "professional gas passer" and that i was good at it or that others who pass gas cant do it as well as i can because they do not get paid? (ok, i admit i can pass gas darn good, i just do not get paid for it anymore :oops: ) amateurs can be almost as good if not better in their chosen obsession while going to school and or raising families. they do not need to be paid to be good at what they do, they do it for many reasons. i believe they have a right to be proud of what they can do whether being paid or not.

so far as getting paid to be good rather than paying to be good really seems to be out of place. lots of people pay to get better at the things they might do that they gets paid for. getting paid for something doesnt always say that you are good any more than paying to play says you are not good. i kinda consider myself a good father and trust me, i pay all the time to keep being good. (and no, i am not just talking $, it takes time, and in any definition you wish to use, time is always worth more than cash and you can never and will never have enough of it, hence.... maybe the cost in time to play RS is worth more than the $ to pay for it)

and yes, jealousy. why else would anyone put down someone elses accomplishment, whether or not you (maybe not "you" just in general) believe that accomplishment is worth anything or not? is it spite? does someone believe it is a waste of time? i would think whining about something being as much a waste of time. i might think egg tossing is silly and a waste of time, yet how does my belittling someone elses feeling of accomplishment do, make me feel better about my no life situation? it might, but still leaves me with no life and spiteful (or jealous) rather than just the no lifer that i am.

------------------------

@pulli23

And the society pays for the lack of activity & productivity.

Really, I hate this argument, as it is complete vain. Anybody should aim for the heighest productivity and try to improve society in their way. Having "fun" is only as a distraction and should be done by people to relax to get energy to be active the next day again.

-----------------------

oh my, productivity to improve society in their way??? :wall:

what is your determination as to what is "productive"? improvement of mankind? improvement of the world? whos society and just who decides what is "productive" for it???

i tend to think playing RS is productive and improves society,..... at least for me it does. :P

thanks,

gompo

and my friend with the family is (or was last i checked) in the top 210 players, so nearer 200 than 250. maybe not 1 bil xp, but still quite a lot and, to me at least, darn respectable. i might even be a bit reverent towards that player. :thumbsup:

No matter where you go, there you are.

StarTrekEnterprise1701A_freedesktopwallpaper_p-1.jpg

Guest jrhairychest

If it was an achievement Id agree with you, but it isnt. Achievements are accomplished when the playing field is level and when there is something to achieve. This is RS. The playing field isnt level because its simply a time-served game. The more you play the higher youll raise your scores in theory. It bases nothing on skill. The achievement is fun, nothing more. In some cases it may not even be an achievement with the likes of botting and account sharing being suggested. Why should I applaud this achievement? You may well think its all great and hunky dory but dont expect me to.

Although quite funny I dont think youve got the gist of my professional comments. Many RS players are either considered or consider themselves professional. My point was pro players do not play RS. The Koreans are some of the most hard-core and the best gamers in the world. Their pros get paid, have sponsorship and all the trimmings. They play games which require much more brainpower, tactical decisions and thinking on their feet. They have a level playing field and they cant cheat at their profession. Theyre celebrities in their own right, theyre some of the best at what they do. I respect that and if people are prepared to pay them then fine by me. Theyre earning their own money.

RS is a fun game and I love playing it in my spare time. In order to be jealous I need something to be jealous of. Scores, when they may not be legally achieved or the player is supplemented in some way by the taxpayer to do it? Celebrity.....this is RS so lets calm down! Playing ridiculous amounts of hours in the hope of keeping up with scores? The achievement...what achievement? Im a lot better than that. Im jealous of people who own Nissan GTRs, who have 6 packs and Playboy photographers.

Basically he means that being pro at starcraft>being good at RS. Or starcraft takes more skill than RS. Which is probably completely undebateable.

Also, koreans are [bleep]ing crazy, and I probably would worship you if you ever beat one at starcraft.