SOLVED- [Windows 7] Screensaver wait time registry key

Stormfolk

I have been working on a script to make settings for the screensaver for All Users on a Windows 7 Pro PC.

In my script, I also want to update the waiting time before the screensaver starts by adjusting a registry key.

I've been looking on the internet for quite some time now, but I can't find the right key that does it.

First I thought "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaveTimeOut", 600, "REG_SZ" would do the trick, but that's not the one I need.

timescreensaver.png

The red box is the part I want the registry key for. The "5" should be "10".

I know it can be easily done by rightclicking the desktop, changing screensaver settings with the console, but I really need to do it with the registry key.

Anyone has an idea?

tattoov2.png

Stormfolk | TRWF Clanfriend

There are applications that compare registry keys. Basically you can scan the registry and record it, make your change, and scan it again.

System mechanics is one such app, but you'll have to pay for it. It also might only tell you if a key has been added or removed, not had it's value changed, so don't quote me on it.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Stormfolk, I believe the registry key you're looking for is the one at the Login Screen? If so, then it's located in the following spot...

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

...and control of the needed items is then as you thought, marked with...

ScreenSaveTimeOut

SCRNSAVE(dot)EXE

[Change the "(dot)" into an actual dot in your visualization of it... I'm having to work around a rude filter here.]

...which allows you to adjust both time and which screen saver is used. BTW, Windows 7 may try to push UAC at you and deep-six what you're doing if you don't go in with full admin priveleges. (Simply just mentioning that part for the uninformed third party who might read this thread.) :geek:

Have fun, but remember the original values (or just make a proper reset registry script) in case you want them back some time in the future, okay? :shades:

~Mr. D. V. "I think that's what you're looking for?!?!?" Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Cant help you with the registry but heres the winapi version

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724947%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

BOOL WINAPI SystemParametersInfo(
 __in     UINT uiAction,
 __in     UINT uiParam,
 __inout  PVOID pvParam,
 __in     UINT fWinIni
);

SPI_GETSCREENSAVETIMEOUT 0x000E

Retrieves the screen saver time-out value, in seconds. The pvParam parameter must point to an integer variable that receives the value.

SPI_SETSCREENSAVETIMEOUT 0x000F

Sets the screen saver time-out value to the value of the uiParam parameter. This value is the amount of time, in seconds, that the system must be idle before the screen saver activates.

Well, to answer specifically the Screensaver time registry is : "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaveTimeOut" (there is a duplicate value in your user account as well, but they change together.) Your issue is that you need to reload the user settings, which is not something I can help with.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

The problem indeed seems to lie with reloading/refreshing the settings. It works now.

The script:

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

'Variable for the screensaver
scrsvr = "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Screensaver Operations.scr"

'Assign the screensaver to the current user in the registry
WshShell.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\SCRNSAVE[Caution: Executable File]", scrsvr, "REG_SZ"

'Activate the screensaver
WshShell.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaveActive", 1, "REG_SZ"

'Screensaver has to wait 600 seconds (10 minutes) before it starts
WshShell.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaveTimeOut", 600, "REG_SZ"

I just got confused by the fact that for all settings aside from ScreenSaveTimeOut you immediately get a visual result. For ScreenSaveTimeOut, the user first has to log off and on again to see the changes.

Thanks everyone!

tattoov2.png

Stormfolk | TRWF Clanfriend