Can't play Runescape or use browsers

TheKoolKandy

Well today I turned on my computer but then I realized I had to go mid booting up so I clicked the power off button. When I restarted it later I got a screen that windows had failed to start, and it would need to repair. It also said some recent installed programs would be lost. What I lost is more than one month of stuff on my computer, though I still retain a lot of things I downloaded like music.

The problem is that when I try to start up skype, google chrome or internet explorer all of them say they cannot connect. I tried putting them to default settings and disconnecting/restarting my computer. The only browser that is working currently is fire fox but I do not have the most recent version of java and when I try to install it I am told it cannot connect with the current internet settings.

I have also trying connecting to a different wifi network but had the same results. I'm currently running windows vista.

If there's anything else needed please ask but I'm not much of a techie so I don't know what would be needed. >.<

Edit: I managed to download Java using an offline installer, but the other problems with the browsers/skype/msn are still there.

Slayer; it's just what I do.
Thanks Hugger 88 for the awesome siggy!

Click show if you want to see achievements.

TheKoolKandy.png
siggy3s.png
Achievments: Maxed/Comp'd 7th of August 2012. 120 Dungeoneering sometime early december 2011. 99 Slayer achieved October 22nd, 2010. 99 Prayer achieved September 99 18th 2010. Summoning achieved September 14th 2010. 99 Defence achieved May 8th 2010. 99 Constituton achieved April 24th 2010. 99 Attack achieved on January 29th 2010 at 8:00 PM. Questpoint Cape on August 30th 2009.99 Strength (11:47 P.M. August 17 2009).

Hmm.. I can't think of much off the top of my head, but try this:

-> Start

-> Run

-> Type "cmd" without quotes

-> Type "chkdsk /f" and let the program run. DO NOT INTERRUPT IT. The process could/will take a while

Do any errors come up? If they do, are they fixed and do the programs work?

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode."

I got this when I typed that in. I'm on the owner and only account on this computer. Still none of the stuff works. :/

TheKoolKandy.png
siggy3s.png
Achievments: Maxed/Comp'd 7th of August 2012. 120 Dungeoneering sometime early december 2011. 99 Slayer achieved October 22nd, 2010. 99 Prayer achieved September 99 18th 2010. Summoning achieved September 14th 2010. 99 Defence achieved May 8th 2010. 99 Constituton achieved April 24th 2010. 99 Attack achieved on January 29th 2010 at 8:00 PM. Questpoint Cape on August 30th 2009.99 Strength (11:47 P.M. August 17 2009).

It says it's the computer administrator.

TheKoolKandy.png
siggy3s.png

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I've gotten everything but google chrome and msn working, I managed to get the command prompt to work and do it's thing as well.

When I try to open a google chrome page I get this: Error 138 (net::ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED): Unable to access the network.

I'm trying to fix msn right now, only really need to know answer to google chrome if anyone has it off the top of their head since I have all my basics fixed. :)

EDIT: Can't re download msn as it says it wont connect to the internet, oh well barely used it. :P

TheKoolKandy.png
siggy3s.png

Bumping this because my computer is becoming uncooperative again. I updated fire fox and now it has stopped working like google chrome. Now all I can use is skype and internet explorer. I cannot play runescape anymore as it says I don't have java download, eventhough I've deleted and redownloaded the most recent version.

I've also tried using the runescape client, but it wont connect when I try to run it and neither will swift kit.

Another thing is I don't currently have an active antivirus (though I did before the problems happened but it restored to a point where it wasn't active) so the only firewall I have up currently is window's, and even if I add programs to the exceptions list, or turn the firewall off altogether it does nothing.

Maybe if I installed a different antivirus it would help at all?

TheKoolKandy.png
siggy3s.png

Bumping this because my computer is becoming uncooperative again. I updated fire fox and now it has stopped working like google chrome. Now all I can use is skype and internet explorer. I cannot play runescape anymore as it says I don't have java download, eventhough I've deleted and redownloaded the most recent version.

I've also tried using the runescape client, but it wont connect when I try to run it and neither will swift kit.

Another thing is I don't currently have an active antivirus (though I did before the problems happened but it restored to a point where it wasn't active) so the only firewall I have up currently is window's, and even if I add programs to the exceptions list, or turn the firewall off altogether it does nothing.

Maybe if I installed a different antivirus it would help at all?

Definately worth installing one and scanning.

Have you updated your Internet device drivers? Restoring might have deleted the most recent ones. Just a thought.

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

It says the drivers are up to date and I'm running a scan now but nothing so far.

Considering reseting my computer if I can't find a good solution.

EDIT: At my wits end, can't seem to fix anything and as soon as I get something to back up my hard drive I'm going to be restoring it to the factory settings. >.<

TheKoolKandy.png
siggy3s.png