Increasing RS frame rate

Kentis

Hello,

I bought new HP laptop few months ago. It runs all games fine, but on RuneScape, I only have like 20-30 fps in not crowded areas and like 10-20 at G.E.. It is almost not affected by what graphic's settings I use, except for size. When I use fixed I have 45-50 fps. I have 4 gb DD3 RAM, Intel Core i5 M480 @ 2.67 GHz processor, ATI Radeon HD 6470M graphics card and Windows 7 64 - bit operation system. My internet speed is 11 mbps, but is Wi-Fi and I'm 3 floors down from the router, so it barely reaches me and isn't really stable. If something more is needed, please tell me :) Hoping anyone has some ideas on how to increase frame rate and can tell me how :)

Thanks!

Mr_Kentis.png

I don't see the big issue?

20-30 is a reasonable framerate, but particularly laggy.

And you say you get 45-50, which is the max rs can do if memory serves, in resizable; so play resizable.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Kentis, you're very literally over-spec for RS. About all you can do to improve your performance is...

• Increase your system's RAM.
  • Get closer to the Router
  • Go hardwired if you can.

...and you're at the mercy of the internet and Jagex's servers beyond that. I've literally become of the opinion that unless you can get 5ms ping, you'll never get above 25-30 fps. (Or in my case, 15-20 fps... Dominion Tower update was a real problem to me.) :(

In my opinion, Jagex has hit a technical wall that they're currently incapable of overcoming. Until they figure out how to get past it, things will not improve and they will either stay the way they are or slowly get worse. This is pretty much a case of "Stay Tuned" for anyone who still has an interest in RS but is having issues even trying to play the game. :unsure:

~D. V. "Things don't look good for anyone who has a setup that has issues with RS." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Increasing the system RAM won't do anything as he already has more than enough. Also FPS has nothing to do with the internet quality.

Does your computer get hot a lot? I do know that HP laptops tend to get hot quickly and often overheat, and that can affect the performance.

Yes it gets hot, but I have the same frame rate after start up that I have after many hours of using my laptop. And about internet, I would agree with sbrideau, that internet doesn't influence FPS, but just incase I will connect LAN cable and see if it is better.

Mr_Kentis.png

+1 on the HP laptops have a knack for getting seriously hot. I'ver seriously contemplated taking this one outside in the winter so that I can bring its CPU up to full power (I've been running it at half, but I think I am going to do some testing and see if I can't get it up to 70 or 80).

More to the point, the only thing you could do without upgrading your hardware is use task manager to set your browser and java to a higher priority (above normal should be enough). Just don't go overboard and set them to real time, or you run a very real risk of your computer running out of resources to maintain its operating system (especially if your processor is normally getting close to 100% already). Above normal shouldn't cause that.

I also feel like the game itself is limited in what it can do based on its own programmed constraints, regardless of how powerful your computer might be. My PC is a 6 core @ 2.9 GHz, with 12 (or 16, I forget and I don't have access right now) GB of RAM, with an ATI HD 6770 GPU. All things considered, it runs Crysis 2 better at maxed settings than it does with RuneScape, and Crysis 2 is a much more demanding game. RuneScape doesn't cause the PC any trouble at all, yet it still can't maintain a fps above 50 in most areas of the game (it will only really get above 50 in empty areas when I am not moving).

Not that I care, since nothing in RuneScape actually moves fast enough to make this noticeable until your down to 20 - 25 fps. It's just interesting that it slows down when nothing on my computer is even trying (half the time it only uses one core to run the game, normally at 90%, sometimes it will split it up though, so its not like it wont if it needs to).

If it's always the same amount of FPS, it might be that your computer won't run it better than that. 2 of my computers are very strong, and they also do that, although with different amounts of FPS, yet I can play Skyrim with everything at the highest settings with a higher FPS.

+1 on the HP laptops have a knack for getting seriously hot. I'ver seriously contemplated taking this one outside in the winter so that I can bring its CPU up to full power (I've been running it at half, but I think I am going to do some testing and see if I can't get it up to 70 or 80).

Don't take it outside in the winter, it will crack the screen and destroy it.

More to the point, the only thing you could do without upgrading your hardware is use task manager to set your browser and java to a higher priority (above normal should be enough). Just don't go overboard and set them to real time, or you run a very real risk of your computer running out of resources to maintain its operating system (especially if your processor is normally getting close to 100% already). Above normal shouldn't cause that.

It is a good idea, but setting it to real time isn't really what you explained. Real time means that it runs directly on the hardware, without all the failsafes of Windows, which will cause a blue screen of death if anything happens.