Mic slot in pc not working

Miner_Guy

Hey, recently i was on my pc playing, mic was working fine went down for supper.Then when i came up it was broken it wouldnt work. First i assumed it was the headphones because they were cheaper but they worked fine on my laptop. SO i guess now it is the computer at fault. How can i fix it, these are my parts

pandabuild.jpg

I took the pc apart and checked the motherboard but i didnt know what socket i was suppose to be looking at, but they all looked fine, is it the hd audio?

Anyway what can i do to fix it?

SUPER.gif

About all that I can suggest are these:

• Check your BIOS/UEFI
  • Check your Device Manager
  • Check your Audio Properties

It is honestly extremely unlikely that something got toggled, that a driver changed, or that your system auto-switched audio devices. But, it doesn't hurt much to check and/or try toggling changeable system settings, just in-case some normally impossible issue occurred. Personally, I hope it is just software issues, because you're stuck buying another motherboard or something to enable you to link your microphone differently if the problem isn't software-related. :huh:

~D. V. "If it isn't a hardware failure, then it should be fixable in software." Devnull

(p.s.: I expect someone else to come up with something a bit more helpful than this. Stay tuned and keep a watch out for them.)

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Do you have the HD audio connector plugged in properly? I had accidentally plugged in the legacy connector (AC_97 or something) which wouldn't detect headsets.

I guessed it was the hd audio unplugged it and plugged it in properly so yes it is plugged in properly

SUPER.gif

It's most likely software, if it just stopped working like that. Is it possible that you didn't try a restart before taking your pc appart? Sometimes it's just a driver crash.

Check it's enabled in the bios, and you have selected the right one of AC'97 or HD audio. Try plugging in each one and changing the bios accordingly.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Are you sure the front one is plugged correctly on the motherboard? As in the right place.

Well it must be as it was working before.

@guy- HD audio is plugged in and i will try the bios

@spork-how do you do that?

I really dont understand why in the space of half an hour it would break when i didnt touch the pc physically or actually.

SUPER.gif

Take a good look inside the slot, since you might be able to see any damage. If you dropped the headset, and it yanked on the socket at all, its quite possible the socket is damaged. If it was very minor, it might just be that it was still making a connection after you dropped it, and it just happened to be during the time you were away that the break managed to come into effect. Not sure what the audio jack would cost on its own, but if its something not to expensive, it might be worth replacing it (you seem fairly handy working inside the case). You wouldn't even need to install it to test the theory, just unplug the old jack and plug a new one in with the side of the computer off and see if that works.