Small Request

archimage_a

Hey all,

Would it be at all possible to removed/modify/otherwise engage with the new/old popup the first time you load up Tip It.

(Continue reading for rant/suggests/sarky suggestions and the condensed history of my life over the past two days. Otherwise please just do something about the popup :thumbup: )

Yes it is only very very very slightly annoying and yes you would think you would only get very very very slightly annoyed once...But actually when your computer dies, you are forced to install Ubuntu and embark on a somewhat long and extremewhat tedious quest to recover the bootloader for Windows which you left at home because you though it would get damaged and thus had to guide your parents through slowly uploading it, and then slowly downloading it because your landlord lives in a land where dial-up internet is something whizz-kids have, and then when you finally have it Ubuntu refuses to recognise your DVD rewriter (Burning the recovery CD at the library now, so I will maybe have to suffer the BLASTED POPUP only once more :grin: ), with your only access to the internet being:

At the Library Computers which wipe all your internet files when you log off

And

With a somewhat shoddily installed version of Ubuntu which reverts to its default settings every other shut down

It can get highly annoying when EVERYTIME you type in www.tip.it, click on the forums link and then get assailed by the BLASTED POPUP that requires you to, even though you have already clicked on the Forum Button, to close the BLASTED POPUP and then reclick on the Forum Button.

I understand that you want to advertise the beta website (Quite why a new website design is needed I don't know, probably because people think the old design is tired or something...Personally if it can tell me how to complete quests, level up and not fire BLASTED POPUPS, at me I am entirely happy with it. But what the future wills the future gets.) But can I suggest a different strategy?

I don't know what exactly...Maybe you recode the logo to switch to 'Have you tried the Beta Site?' when you mouse over anything...Or maybe a tap dancing phrase that sticks at the top of the screen permenantly...You could even just remove the 'run once' coding from the BLASTED POPUP so that everyone has to suffer its annoyance.

Alternatively it could just be removed, I am sure that will annoy some people who think the beta is the bee's knees and want everyone to check it out, but my usually tolerant attitude towards the law of unintented consequence has been ground down over the past week.

I would also point out that while I, the arrogant, single sub-forum user with a penchant for writing absurdly long and overly wordy posts and with a history of making mountains out of molehills, am mostly just venting my frustration directly at the semi-innocent people of a highly useful website that has served me well in the past...I do however remember being a young teenager, all those years ago, at school, in the public library, ect, playing Runescape and using Tip It.

If I had wade through the advertising of a new website that I wasn't overly interested in, and was unable to create a bookmark/favouriate to bypass the BLASTED POPUP, then it would spoil my experiance.

Other people may say that they would use a different website, (Personally, other websites weren't as good, but ectera) however the long and the short is that while BLASTED POPUP may appear as a very very very slight inconvienance to those of us who have a stable computer, but to those of us who don't it moves beyond and becomes a minor irritant...like sensitive teeth when you try to eat icecream...It assails you when you least expect it and ruins the entire experiance.

Anywho, DVD finished burning about 10 minutes ago so I am gonna go fix the computer...I do hope the thing is modifed in some manner or another.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Easier solution:

As a regular user realise you can just go to http://forum.tip.it and entirely bypass the main site if you just want forums.

Or even just user http://open.tip.it so you go to the beta site and thus avoid adverts for it.

And realise that they want it to be intrusive as more users on beta site = faster fixing of bugs, plus the beta site will only exist for a limited time. It will become the site in a few months.

A new site is in everyone's interest as it moves the back-end coding up to date so things run smoother, can be updated with new content faster and looks nicer.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Unless you prefer the old site/see the new site as a terrible idea because it is obstructive to viewing content with its popup.

Not to mention that the promise of running smoother, with faster content, ect, usually lasts a month, maybe two, then things slow down to how they were before.

But this really isn't a 'I hate the new site' I am apathetic about it...Other people know more about how the site works, I don't use it a great deal, leave them to do what they do...but apathy stirred to annoyance that this thing that I disapprove of, but not enough to do anything about, is now being shoved in my face.

Kinda like if I randomly began posting my stories from Varrock Library here (And for some reason they were not removed and I wasn't warned, ect).

I do, however, see your point...The main issue I have is that www.tip.it is easier than http://forum.tip.it...Not least because it is simpler to type and is in the more well used format.

On top of that going to Tip.it is a hang over from when I did use Tip It a lot.

As to intrusiveness... It really fails if it is shown once and then isn't advertised again, and as something that is shown everytime you access the site it fails to endear itself greatly...

As to actively forcing people to use the other site...Why not just switch the two sites over and be done with it? People could still switch back to the old site using the other address. Would save everyone (possible exception of the site designers) a great deal of time and effort.

With the single use advertising you get three types of people:

People who have used Tip It in the past and then used it and went 'Oh, there is a beta, better check that out'. Which I assume is the target audiance...And is an audiance, if my memory of when the beta popup was released is right, which has largely been hit and maybe a little rollback is in order.

People who haven't used Tip It before, who just get a random popup, sort of 50% 'What, get out of the way I want Quest Guides' or 'Hmmm, maybe they have Quest Guides' and who are gonna be hacked off if there is a bug with whatever thing they are searching for.

People who have accessed it before, and keep getting the popup from public computers. Who may, as you say, use a different address and bypass the site...Or who get ticked off.

So unless the vast majority of Tip It users are unaware of the betasite (Considering I have been aware of it for months, and I don't even use the site that often, that seems unlikely) what usergroup are you planning on attracting that couldn't be attracted far more efficently in another way?

The site is the standard that will eventually be the only one. I know I'm using the old site until the changeover, though. I don't get bothered by popups. If it bothers you so much, consider getting APB until the conversion is complete.

hzvjpwS.gif

I don't know...I was in a class of 30, there were 5 groups in my year, and 5 people from each class played, that makes 30 people playing when they should have been working.

Now, I would imagine years 4-12 would be playing...so thats 8*30, which is 240.

We can easily assume that more than 1 school exists, ergo we can assume that more than 240 people (if we assume that my school was/is the only one that refused to save information and allowed kids to play on the computers at lunchtime) have to suffer these kinds of restrictions.

While that maybe a 'small percentage' that could mean anything between 0.000000000000001% and 49.99999999999%

At the end of the day, now that windows has recovered, my apathy is returning as to the endeveour. The thing will annoy some 'small percentage' of people, of those 'small percentage' another 'small percentage' will lose interest in Tip It and never use the site again.

I suppose what people would call acceptable losses.

As is life.

I highly doubt people are going to lose interest in Tip.It because of a popup that will only continue popping up on public computers. I think we're accommodating the vast majority of people with how we've set this up. You're asking us to make a much bigger sacrifice and more effort to change things than you would have to make by typing six more characters to fix your problem (forum.tip.it).

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog