Is there some way to start Runescape directly?

Blyaunte

Or am I missing something?

When I click on the "PLAY R/S" button, it takes me to the Main Site. Then I either have to log in to the site, or I can choose the "Play for Free Now".

In the case of the former, I end up typing my username and password twice. In the case of the latter, I get the advertisement bar until I log in on my P2P account.

I am not fussy on this - but it seems to me that I may be missing a step someplace in my Log In procedure.

:huh:

nyuseg.png

You'll want to use the Play free now button to log in to the game after being navigated ot the main RS home page.

To comply with RuneScape's 3rd party client rules we cannot actually send you directly to the game applet page, you must go via their main website.

Well poodles ... <_<

Might I just offer this piece of advice for you. If you're P2P. then I'd suggest logging into the site and then clicking the "PLAY NOW" button as opposed to just clicking the "PLAY FOR FREE" now button from the main screen.

That way, P2P players will avoid the advertisements.

Now, yes, I know that these adverts "disappear" after one logs in as a P2P player but, in actuality, they don't. Jagex continues to run the adverts anyways, which ties up some of your game cache -- and it does affect your PING and frame rates.

just sayin' ...

Thanks.

nyuseg.png

• 1 month later...

Old topic but...

Thought I'd mention... Logging into the RuneScape website before clicking the Play Now does nothing different when loading the game page. The ads, the video player data, the scripts, everything is still loaded, just not shown on screen.

After logging into a members account and clicking Play Now:

advertz.png

As for the lower FPS and ping increasing... Placebo effect. Save yourself the minute.

09144a99bb.png

Old topic but...

Thought I'd mention... Logging into the RuneScape website before clicking the Play Now does nothing different when loading the game page. The ads, the video player data, the scripts, everything is still loaded, just not shown on screen.

After logging into a members account and clicking Play Now:

advertz.png

As for the lower FPS and ping increasing... Placebo effect. Save yourself the minute.

Thanks for this I have always know it was the case (we spent a lot of time trying to manage this before they added to ability to hide the menu bar ingame) but never bothered to take the time to prove it. It amazes me the amount of people that complain about the ads. For there to be any sort of effect on your computer in any way be that processing or networking, you would need a 20 year old computer. Its not like they a streaming new content constantly once each ad are downloaded and rendered there will be very minimal network activity in the bytes and the processing will be so low that its next to immeasurable. Now if there were away to prove that the java processing and graphics rendering is the cause of lag and not SwiftKit it's self we would be on easy street.

Jagex does not show the main page with their official client as well.

Yes but that is the official client the rules state that 3rd part clients must load the runescape webpage and not bypass normal navigation so until this rule is change we are not going to bypass it.

simmo200.png

No problem. Was in-between prints at work and bored. :P.

It just kind of reminded me about that prankster on YouTube that went around with a pre-released iPhone 5 (it was just an iPhone 4) and was videoing people's reactions (who had an iPhone). They were amazed how how much bigger the screen was and how much faster it ran - when it reality it was the exact same. But they were expecting it to be different, so in their minds it was.

• Like 4

09144a99bb.png