Stompin' Tom Connors dies at 77

Kaida23

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...n-tom-obit.html

It was a slightly sadder Canada I woke up to this morning with the announcement of the death of our own legendary country-folk singer, and lover of all things Canadian, Stompin' Tom Connors. :(

He was especially popular here in the Ottawa/Gatineau area and the radio stations have been airing tributes and having people call in with their stories of him all day.

And what stories.

Stories of drinking with the patrons in small pubs when he was just starting out. Of a couple that met his family in PEI and how that turned into a personal meeting the next time he came to Ottawa. Of refusing to play one night in Kemptville when someone stole his stompin' board, and when everyone (who'd been drinking of course) started getting upset and rowdy they called the OPP in to resolve it and get his board back, at which point he was happy as a pig in filth and played long past when the place would have normally closed. Of the time he was receiving the Governor General's Award in Ottawa and refused to stay in one of the posh hotels downtown like everyone else, instead insisting on a small motel on Carling Ave. like one of his fans might stay in where he could smoke and have a beer. The limo company even sent an older, seldom used one to pick him up so he could smoke in it and replaced the champagne in the bar with his favorite beer.

Stories of how everyone who met him remembered it for the rest of their lives.

He never left his beloved homeland, though it limited his reach and career prospects (especially in an era before the internet), and never once regretted it, feeling those who left Canada to further their careers in the US had, as he put it, 'jumped the fence'.

I never got the chance to see him perform live myself, but my parents were big fans and I grew up listening to his music and remain a fan to this day. I still remember a few years ago when one of the local radio DJ's spent an entire afternoon playing nothing but Stompin' Tom songs (on a rock station no less) to protest the fact that he had not been nominated that year for some award or other (I honestly can't recall which). They obviously did not have any of his albums, so the DJ spent his own money on a half dozen of them from the store down the road from the station, and listeners brought in their own from home so that the marathon could continue. I heard later that the station had it's highest ratings ever that afternoon.

As I understand it, there is now even debate on whether or not he should receive a state funeral. While I can think of no finer way to say goodbye to one of Canada's most beloved sons, I can't help but think it's not what he would have wanted. Somehow a few friends, good music and a cold beer to wash it all down with seems more his style.

Do any of the rest of you have stories or memories of this fine man?

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Can't say I have any stories or anything, but at least one of his songs is going to be remembered for a long time I think (every hockey match ever in this country). A little sad to see this though.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!