Inspiration or Demoralisation?

baileydafrog

So there I was, happily jaunting around on a clue scroll, a treat for me after finishing a Slayer task, when I had to scale the mighty Ice Mountain to see my pink suited friend and his double dealing acquaintance. As I arrived, there was somebody ranging this said beast of a man, normally I would hop, but as he was struggling I thought I'd stay in case he died and needed his grave blessing. So as I was waiting for the eons it took to range him we just chatted about how, unless you're using high tier gear and air based magic, he is one of the most over-buffed things in the game. When he finally killed him, I spawned him myself to show him how easy he was with mage, before the other chap could get his casket. So I quickly dispatched of him and we both got our caskets, him first, as it was only fair. While I got a few fire lighters and a couple of rune items, all I could see on the chatbox was "hfgjshsgdjkfg" and "dkjsgsheas", then up popped a trade request. Low and behold, he'd gotten a 3a helm! At first all I could wonder was, what would've happened if I'd gone first? Despite it only being 31m in trade (unsure of real value), it's just an item I'd always dreamed of getting, but there it was right in front of me but blessed to another. But, after my initial hatred, it gave me a renewed hope in clue scrolls, yes the odds are tiny, but I do enjoy doing them.

In short, when you see or hear of somebody getting a drop you've tried so long for, or a goal you've always wanted to reach, does it inspire you to manage it yourself, no matter the odds, or does it just make you feel like it will never be you?

baileydafrog.png

Just scooting this over to the Questionnaires subforum.

As for me... Depends on the situation. If I'm spending 8 dry hours at a boss and a friend goes and gets a drop in their first 5 minutes, sure I'll get annoyed but at the same time I'm happy for them.

In your situation, I don't think I'd have gotten upset at all. Both took the same effort, one just got lucky. :P.

People who spend hours and hours on long goals that I may share, to see them get rewarded for it is definitely inspiration. :).

09144a99bb.png

Seeing other peoples drop logs and loot pictures is inspiring. Seeing someone else getting good/constant drops with less effort and kills than you it starts to become demoralising though. At that point it's usually best to take a little break from killing things and return after getting some new inspiration. :)

u5zhkTY.gif

It does neither if I were being perfectly honest, as I consider other players' efforts on an entirely separate tangent to my own (unless of course we are working together, such as at a boss). If I felt entitled to luck based on what others received I'd only feel demoralized, as my personal luck has historically been rather pisspoor compared to others, notably those on this site!

2dgucz6.png

Guest Smelly Paws

I treat those things as inspiration. I've had my fair share of half-decent drops and more than my fair share of tat. Suppose it equals itself out over time (that's what I keep telling myself lol).

It inspires me when I see others reach their goals. When Lady Shahdie got 99 Mining it inspired me not only to get it myself, but to join TIF and start my own blog. I was horribly noobish when I joined 4 years ago and look at me now! :grin:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...