The End-Game Item Economy

Troll Bomber

I'm making this post because I'm curious as to what everyone's opinion on what the future of the OSRS economy may come to, particularly regarding end-game level gear.

I've noticed a substantial drop in many items that, although I knew would fall, didn't expect to fall this quickly. Items such as black masks and whips seem to be approaching original 2007 prices rather quickly, and it leaves me wondering if they'll settle there, or continue to lose value after that. I tend to lean towards to the latter for a couple of reasons. First off, with the (current) fact that there will be little to no new content added in the future, I believe there is a possibility for items to fall to a lower value than they floated at for years back in 2007. I personally recall starting Runescape after slayer was already out, and when I was finally able to afford a whip after a year, they were still 3.5-4M, and I was still able to get that much out of each whip several years later when I reached 85 myself. I also remember black masks floating around 600k for quite a long time until slayer helms were introduced. I believe that despite the idea of a fresh start, the community is much more informed on how to play efficiently, and is well adapted on the importance of rushing slayer, camping clue scrolls, ect. for profit than they may have been 5-6 years ago.

With whips around the 5M mark already, and black masks creeping close to 600k mark soon, does anyone else have any predictions for what may happen? I know I've only listed whips and black masks as examples so far, but the discussion is really open to any top tier gear in the game. It seems to me barrows sets have risen to near what I remember them in 2007, and items such as ranger boots, robins, furies, and zerker rings, have settled near what I expect to be a steady price for a while. I haven't seen much activity in rarities such as dragon chains and dragonfire shields simply due to the lack of supply, but I expect them to follow the same path as robins, ect., and settle for what they were in 2007.

TL;DR: Do you believe original 2007 prices on high end items will eventually follow, or are prices likely to be drastically different due to the more informed community and lack of future content updates?

Trollbomber.png

I expect items like DFS and rangers to actually rise soon, they're only low because lucky people got them and needed to get rid of them for some good start up cash, so they wasted thier advantage of having the extremely rare items for quick cash.

Whips have a lot of advantages over 2012 whips, firstly they're the best weapon in the game so always in demand, 2nd the abby demons don't drop profitable ashes, meaning whips will have to remain higher to make abby demons worth doing (and thusly if they fall in price, fewer people would do abby demons, and the price would rise again)

The problem whips will face is that most players are veterans and know what they're doing this time. Many of us will be pures that don't use whips, many more of us will actually get 85+ slay, relative to how many did compared to the entire player base in the past.

Whips should fall to 1-2m within a few months and then stay pretty stable at that price.

CNqWHdA.jpg

This is the main problem I had with old school servers that have free trade. In this period of time items only leave the game through alching or if they are lost on death and nobody picks them up. I had been hoping for servers from the 2008-2010 period personally as there would be constant item loss through pking which would really support the longevity of the economy.

My personal opinion is that everything will continue to decline in price, not at the same rate as things are now however, and most useful items will reach a fairly stable price range and stay there for a long time.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

When Slayer was released (2004? 2005?) there was ALOT of money introduced into Runescape economy, that's why whips used to be pricier than they are nowadays in 2007rs.

A whip costing 1m in a 2007rs server in fact costs alot more than a whip costing 5m back in 2005 in RS2 servers.