Please add 2007 RS section

I am very disappointed that your site does not have Oldschool Runescape calculators or quest help. I know you gave a link to the archive (which is http://web.archive.o...calculators.htm) but the max ranged hit calculator doesn't work for me.

Can you please add a 2007 runescape section to the site with calculators and quest help and other things like that? I'd really appreciate it. I had to go to one of your rival sites for quest help because the quest help for biohazard wasn't up to par with 2007 runescape.

The trouble with outright adding a section is it is not as simple as just doing it. What web archive services have IS what is left of the 07 guides and such since sites have little to no reason to keep 5 year out-of-date guides archived.

To fully rebuild the old guides from the archives + research would take hundreds, if not thousands of man hours to complete - a project which may be worthwhile *if* OSRS proves to have longevity but probably is not worth investing the time in to as of right now as no-one knows how long it will last. For example login-user scrape data shows since launch the two games have gone from 50:50 to 60:40 in favour of the live game, and that is without even considering many bots have recently vanished from live game whilst the bot population of OSRS has boomed. Plus given the only prior example of legacy servers we have (RSC) the evidence doesn't bode overly well for the future of OSRS.

Basically I don't think it is a worthwhile investment of tip.it crew's time to attempt to re-write all the old guides until we are, at least, past the mid-summer point at which Jagex said they'd introduce the fees for OSRS and possibly a few months beyond that at a point where the longevity and thus the worth of investing the man hours, can be properly judged.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I'd assume they don't, but an admin would probably be able to answer for definite. Keeping old guides serves no real purpose after all. The nature of Runescape is that it is always moving forwards, old guides are irrelevant and useless. Rswiki would have archive data though because that's how wikipedia and it's micro sites are built, but for a plain old site like Tip.it I don't see why they'd bother keeping archive data aside from maybe 3 months or so back-ups in case of sever failure or hacking.

Besides it's not like things are 'deleted' (aside from pictures) all the guides for 07 content are still there, they just get modified whenever changes are made - they are live documents not something that gets taken down stashed away and replaced with a shiny new guide for every content alteration.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

So you're saying that tip.it DOESN'T have a backup of the guides and calculators...at least somewhere?? Why would they delete all of that??

I really don't think we do. Though, I wouldn't have a problem adding OSRS version of the calculators (such as combat calculators, etc), but that'd be up to the rest of the crew as to whether or not we want to support it. I think the general opinion was no, but I can check.

09144a99bb.png

What specific calculators do you think it could use? I realize for some, such as the old combat calculators, they won't work on web.archive.com. Therefore, I'm willing to add them or incorporate them into existing calculators. For example, I was toying with combat, and came up with:

2wEtU.png

What do you think?

09144a99bb.png

I'd like to see an oldschool section added too, but these things take a lot of work to implement. At the moment, it's just too much work so it won't be happening. It's not because we don't want to, but moreso because we can't.

The archive (which is linked at the bottom of each page on the site) should work for most things, except for calculators and a few random items. The guides should all be accessible though. The way I deal with it while doing a quest for example, is navigate tip.it regularly to find the quest I want, then I scroll down and visit the archive.

The main reason we don't have an oldschool section is the amount of work needed to get it up and running. There is only a couple of crew members (myself being one of them) who actually play oldschool as their main choice of game.

As for a combat calc, http://web.archive.org/web/20120513200746/http://www.tip.it/runescape/?page=combat_calc.htm will work if you leave summon at 1.

Edited by Baffler
fixed link

I'll personally add support to the existing calculators where I can. Such as you saw from the screenshot you saw - it didn't require a whole new calculator. This is what I mean by add.

Today I worked on rewriting the combat calculator and am almost finished. If I don't finish it today, it'll more then likely be completed early tomorrow.

Also, Baffler, your link doesn't work. :P.

09144a99bb.png

Done. Thanks for the suggestion. I've been trying to figure out where to start on doing the max hit calculators (for EoC). With abilities and such, I've literally no idea how hits are calculated. =/.

Does the current Max Melee Hit Calculator give accurate values for OSRS? If so, to start, I could remove things like extremes and such from it.

09144a99bb.png